My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had success coating a cork float? The old boat motor I picked up a couple weeks back suffers from saturated cork which from my small amount of research leads me to believe that shellac used back then to coat the cork floats can now be broken down by ingredients that are in fuel now that weren't there then.

I found a piece of "donor" cork and plan to cut out an exact replica of the original using whatever (my first plan of attack is my scroll saw) and then coat it in Sig brand 'fuel proof dope' which I guess they use on model airplanes for whatever. I guess I'm just looking for some guidance here, anyone ever been down this road that can steer my around the first timer pit falls?

I have to cut it out, drill a small hole through it and I guess soak or dip it in 'the dope' (haven't had any dope at my place in yeeeeaaars "man"...) and give it a few coats...I would get an original replacement but I have looked and cannot locate one.

Thanks for reading this novel and if you can't offer any help, just wish me well in word or thought.
:thThumbsU

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
You be careful with that dope, powerful stuff it is and it can leave some nasty side effects. Now, let's talk about that "stuff" you had at your place you had years ago :ROF I believe that "dope" your using should work, but if I know one thing theres always Tom at Tom deyoung's engine and mower. I bet you a can of lawnboy oil he would know what to use to seal a cork float, he's messed with enough lawnboys to know and be sick of them at the same time :ROF

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's lawnboy oil? Lol...
Ya got me hooked on benol Croc, remember?
Good idea talking to tom. Thanks...

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

·
Administrator
21,223 Posts
I searched in on google, and came up with:

Dip in Shellac about 3 times, letting dry between dips.

Fingernail polish

The stuff you seal gas tanks with in old motorcycles

PVC glue

Stuff available at a hardware store for about $2 in a tube, called "Seal All". It even lists on the package that it will work for Carb Floats.

Hmmmm, I often wondered what would work myself. Guess the elusive answer is pretty varied and readily available.

Good Luck!

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
That's right, Benol. I haven't run or smelled that stuff in weeks. Time for another batch:drunkie:

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
I've been coating my Lawn Boy cork floats for years. I tried several different materials but US Standard Tank Sealer is about the best I could find. It is very runny which means you have to apply a couple of coats using a small soft artist paint brush.

http://www.por15.com/US-STANDARD-TANK-SEALER/productinfo/TSG/
Good one, a lot of epoxies and the like are fuel "resistant" but can't hold up to costant exposure to raw gasoline, let alone the methanol we have in our fuels these days.

Being a cork float in an carb must be a tough life. I'm surprised they hold up as well as they do.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys, thanks for all the reponses...since I have it already and I have a large chunk of cork my wife waskind enough to bring home from a yard sale, I went ahead and used the Sig brand fuel proof dope. It's pretty thick, like latex paint and if you used it in, say, your car or somewhere small...you would probably get a good buzz off it. This stuff makes model glue seem like skim milk...whew! I coated it really well about 3 or 4 times letting it dry to the touch in between. I'll let it sit overnight before putting it in service and you can be sure I won't be heading out into the middle of Lake Michigan for its maiden voyage or anything. If this method fails quickly (or slowly) I'll try another but I am grateful for your help.

In addition, because you all were so very helpful here, I will bless you with a video of it running ( :praying: ) once I get it that way, hopefully tomorrow...

Of course, now that I've promised this I'll be running into a whole different batch of trouble with it...just kidding, she'll running for the holiday weekend, and hopefully many more to come. But now I know how to do it anyway...
:thanku:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts