My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
My Dad, former POW ...
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a commercial Husqvarna string trimmer (weed whacker). I have consumed my first batch of string and want to order replacement string in bulk. There are three types that I see are rated "commercial". There is 6-blade, square and spiral twist. I use my trimmer for general farm/yard maintenance - cutting pretty tough stuff - against tree trunks, rocks, fence, in ditches, etc. How do these types of string differ in their performance?

Thanks in advance for your kind replies!

·
Banned
330 Posts
Well,not clear on what you got and etc,but,seems like you want new trimmer spool line,I use round that .105 dia....095 dia works about as good,don't use the star shaped cause it hurts my little fingers when I wound it on.

I use echo brand,its good stuff,bet stihl makes some good stuff,husky probably does to,and any of those better brands will work on any.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I use 0.95 and I bought a large spool several years back.Keep it in place where it will not get sunlight and it will not hurt a thing buying in bulk.Shakesphere is my brand and I bet it all comes from the same place anyway.I just use the round kind I have tried the other shaped type I think its just a marketing hype.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I use 0.95 and I bought a large spool several years back.Keep it in place where it will not get sunlight and it will not hurt a thing buying in bulk.Shakesphere is my brand and I bet it all comes from the same place anyway.I just use the round kind I have tried the other shaped type I think its just a marketing hype.
That must a real man's trimmer to use .95" line ;-) Sorry I couldn't resist
I'm a Machinist, I work with decimals all the time.

I wouldn't buy a huge amount of line unless you're doing pro lawncare, it will
get old after a while. 1/2 lbs spools last most people a year or two.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
That must a real man's trimmer to use .95" line ;-) Sorry I couldn't resist
I'm a Machinist, I work with decimals all the time.

I wouldn't buy a huge amount of line unless you're doing pro lawncare, it will
get old after a while. 1/2 lbs spools last most people a year or two.
LOL yea I was terrible with math.Thats why they color code the line.Orange is my color.Green is another size and so so and so on.

Never had a problem with its shelf life.As long as it is not in the sun.Place some in the sun and see just how fast it fades.You will be surprised how fast it happens.I highly dought what you buy at the store today is always fresh.It could have been sitting in a factory warehouse for a long time.Before being shipped to a distributor.Where it sets in his wharehouse.Before being shipped to a store where it sits in there wharehouse before being placed on the store front shelf to sit until its sold.Have never seen a expireation date on a spool of weed whacker line.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I switched from the round to the square line (.095, if I remember correctly) and noticed a major difference in life of the line. Maybe I just got a better quality/brand line. I called my dealer to complain about the new line----told him the new line didnt give me a chance to take a break as often to change or extend line. Had a Toro trimmer at the time with manual line adjust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts