My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing the 500 hr maintanance I had to remove the front bonnet (cowling) inorder to get at the upper fuel filter. With the BX opened up I gave it a good cleaning and once over and decided to try a little mod to see if it effects the engine temp readout.
I recall reading of a fellow down Texas way I believe that had a problem of his BX showing overheating after mowing an hr or so in the hot Texas heat. He got one of those thermo heat guns/probes and discovered that the engine wasn't running as hot as the gauge indicated and he said he was able to keep the readout down by ruuning w/the bonnet off. Another fellow had a similar probem and he said he cured his by wrapping the coolant sender in heat reflective tape.
Well I'm not having an overheating problem but I'm very curious to see if the intense heat generated by the very close by muffler could be effecting the senders output. So with that in mind I found a scrap piece of steel in my stash and decided to make a deflector to go inbetween the muffler and the sender to see if it has any effect. To mount it I drilled a hole in one corner large enough for the bolt that secures the rear (or front) engine hoist mount and mounted the deflector between the head and hoist mount. Nothing fancy but perhaps enough to atleast shield some of the heat.
When I'm mowing at speed back in the field I know theres quite abit of draft created that flows over and around the muffler and carries it back until it hits the air flow generated by the fan. Both seem to meet at a point near that sender and both drafts are hot! So we'll see. I'm going to mow all 4 acres tomorrow early in the AM so I should know by lunch time if's it's real or if it's memorex :D

Oh and the 500hr went great. I even drained and filled the cooling system w/brand new 50/50 premix Prestone extended life anti freeze. This BX23 has never had any tap water added to it and very little anti-freeze over the course of it s 490 hrs of operation so it's taken me this long to finally do it. I didn't flush it, just a drain and refill. I don't want any tap water in this tractor if I can help it :D

She sure seems to run better so she even got pressure washed :D
You know how a car always seems to run better after a wash & wax? well, so does a BX :D
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree... I washed and waxed mine, if only to make it easier to keep clean. The cleaner you keep them, the quicker it is to clean next time. Even my 7 year old Honda Rincon looks almost brand new (and it's seen it's share of work and play!)

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the results are in and I don'y think it made any difference. The temp stayed about the same, around 12 oclock and stayed there which is this BX23's nomal operating range in this heat (90+ ambient).
I'd have thought that shield along with sharpened gators, the underside of the MMM blasted clean and smooth, the radiator completely blown out and new anti freeze would have resulted in some slighty cooler operting temps but I guess cutting tall damp grass in 90+ degree temps trumpped all that :D

So, IMHO this little mod tain't worth the scrap steel I used to make it, but in theory it seemed plausible :D

Oh well, lets go back and vaccum up the windrows for the compost pile now :D
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts