My Tractor Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
It is completely different than just putting a sticker on as advertisement. It is consider miss use of the TM. You obviously have no clue about TM and Copyright law or how companies defend thier trade marks to maintain thier value. Think of Kleenex.
:hide:Now I'm in trouble. I just finished painting my John Deere in a Kleenex box pattern, complete with a large fake Kleenex coming out the top of the hood.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,356 Posts
:hide:Now I'm in trouble. I just finished painting my John Deere in a Kleenex box pattern, complete with a large fake Kleenex coming out the top of the hood.
:sidelaugh Wildcat when they catch you I am sure you well get 30 years in jail for that one.:crybaby: You just don't mess with Kleenex. Now me I have friends in the White House so I can do what ever I want. It's like having a licenses Lie cheat & steal.:sidelaugh

Wildcat I will cut your grass while your doing your time. And I will do it on my Cat. :eck13:

·
Machinery Addict
77 Posts
You guys are a riot!! Now I see why everyone is glad to see orange j d back. And I love hearing about the modifications other guys make to their tractors to make them work or just look the way they want it to. I have been laughed at for some of my own ideas before, but as a few of you have noted ... it's mine and I'll do whatever I want to with it, I don't care what other people think!! Keep laughing and Keep going on your own path!

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,325 Posts
i like the CAT mowers they are an improvement to the tractor and they look cool too. :Fing32:

·
Registered
465 Posts
This is Copyright infringement. Something Caterpillar actively goes after and prosecutes for I would be very careful showing this thing off like this. All it takes is someone showing Caterpillar these pictures and giving them this website address and the Site owner as well as you could be getting a visit from the law. Seriously.
Yes but they would really have to be selling them commercially. This is something they did to their own tractor.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Deceased Member
2,027 Posts
It is completely different than just putting a sticker on as advertisement. It is consider miss use of the TM. You obviously have no clue about TM and Copyright law or how companies defend thier trade marks to maintain thier value. Think of Kleenex.
For it to be a trademark/copyright/patent issue, someone would have to be producing them and offering them for sale with intent to make a profit using their name.

These are just individuals customizing their tractors. Cat, JD, etc. would have no interest in this.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You don't have to just be producing the tractor, selling the picture of one is enough profit for them to go after you. A mustang forum got sued by ford a year or two ago for producing a calendar of members cars. Caused a big stink and we emailed gm about it on our s10 forum, they accepted it with open arms and told us to go ahead. Just depends on the company.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The first issue is it having the heading on this site as "cat brand mower." That is enough to get you sued and fast. The easiest way to handle it would be contact Cat corporate, ask who in the company is responsible for trademark management and ask for their permission. Make sure you get it in writing. If you or anyone else decides to produce mowers under their logo then you need their permission again in writing. You would have to name it by the actual mower/tractor manufacturer, something like Deere model XXXX in caterpillar logo's and make sure that producing them in their logo as customized for resale is authorized by cat, again in writing.

There is a lot of money in producing customized tractors under different logo's but early on, you will need a good copyright attorney to help you. Plus, the companies you use as logo's have claim to any profit you make if you don't do it legally. I looked into it using the local nfl teams logo. The team was pretty receptive but the nfl "discouraged" the production. If they fine a player $10,500 for wearing green cleats in support of mental illness, that should give you an idea of their greed.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.