MTF user badgerland01 brought up this subject recently about anybody doing this and I’ve been mulling about doing this for quite a while so I thought I was about time I did it.
I wanted to model my JDQA after the JDQA that is used on the H120 loader on the 1023/1025.
So this is my version of what I did to make my 45 loader to have a quick attachment mechanism in order to quickly exchange the bucket to a set of forks, which BTW are yet to be built.
Since pictures seem to tell a better story this thread will be picture heavy.
Started off by ensuring that I could get the 3/4” round bar, which JD refers to the loader “equalizer link pin” drilled out correctly for the pin fasteners.
Used a 4 ¼” grinder with a very thin cutoff blade and first remove the bottom 1” square hydraulic cylinder over extension stops.
Then used the cutoff grinder to carefully cut out the existing welds on the bucket brackets. Used a large adjustable wrench to wiggle the bracket side back and forth the snap off the rest of the weld that I couldn't get with the grinder.
Note: A 5” grinder with a thin cutoff blade would work better than the 4 ½” one I used.
Marked out the cut lines and using a hole saw, drilled the holes for the top 1 ¼” bar.
This pictures show the pieces that will be used on the loader side. In the end I didn’t use the two small rectangular supports as I felt I didn’t need them after thing were welded up.
Chamfered the holes on the back plate so that the locator pins would slide in easier.
Picture showing the bucket side attachment brackets and pins. The curved formed ones were bought from JD.
Picture showing bucket bottom plates and pins with chamfered edge.
Pin ready to be welded in. Both plate and pin have chamfered edges in order to get a deeper penetration weld.
This is the set up that I use to get everything aligned before I tacked the side plates on. I used exact width spacers between the sides to keep them properly spaced.
Used a 1 ¼” round bar to align the top “fittings” of the JDQA and then clamped an angle iron next to it in order to have a reference line.
Removed the 1 ¼” round bar and tacked in the “real” cut to length top fittings and started to weld the loader side brackets.
Installed the brackets on the loader arms and then extended the cylinders to the point just before they started to bend. Clamped, tacked and then welded on the 1” square bars to serve as over extension limiters.
THANKS bagerland01 and AndrewOliver for the info on this!
Got the bucket lined up and welded on the bucket-side brackets.
Tested it out on the dirt pile to verify if the brackets would hold up to riggers of loader work, thus things got a little dusty and dirty. So this is how my version of the JDQA looks on the loader.
Now comes some touch up and green paint.