My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Note how many of them are for the L LA series. Also note how many K46 transmission problems.

Word to the wise...go higher up the X series if you have any hills or will be pulling anything heavy.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'd keep in mind a couple things:
- No one ever registers a positive story.

- Box store sales are not as well qualified as dealership sales, so people sometimes don't get enough machine to begin with.

- According to the link below, JD built @ 300,000 L/LA's in 2005. Some quick math would tell you there has got to be around 2 MILLION out there now. For every one complaint there are thousands that are doing fine.

http://greenevillesun.com/story/301008

·
Registered
412 Posts
Did you look up other makes? JD is not the only one with low end mower problems.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well,we now know that not all jd's are really those jd's that every one things of when they hear jd green:drunkie:,,and that leads you to ask,,where does the real jd's begin????

·
Registered
317 Posts
That's the problem, people are buying thse things because they are green and yellow. Deere builds them good enough to compete with the other low end units on the market.But to many buyers think they'll last 15+ years of hard use.
Local dealer in town here sells a few hundred a year while the rural dealer I got my X500 from sells hardly any at all.
There are even issues from time to time with the trannies in the "big units" ( the 2000 lb+ behemoths that go in the large row crop tractors) and customers seldom wait more than 48 hrs to get a new unit shipped to their dealer. At least here at the tractor factory taking care of the customer is a top prioity and I would think there would be a similar urgency for all products. A good dealer make all the difference.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Note how many of them are for the L LA series. Also note how many K46 transmission problems.

Word to the wise...go higher up the X series if you have any hills or will be pulling anything heavy.
:ditto:

·
Banned
297 Posts
So,in other words,you have to spend a certain amount to get a real jd??

[Now I already knew that,but you guys should really get the word out to these suburban 1 acre lot farmers.]:thThumbsU

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
They are just buying the wrong machine for their property, or using it improperly, or even not doing proper matinence and expect deere to repace their mistakes (like bent the crank, pulling up hills, not greasing or replacing/checking the oil, ETC)

·
Registered
317 Posts

[Now I already knew that,but you guys should really get the word out to these suburban 1 acre lot farmers.]:thThumbsU
Hey! who you calling a suburban lot farmer? I resemble that remark :crybaby:

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
I'd keep in mind a couple things:
- No one ever registers a positive story.

- Box store sales are not as well qualified as dealership sales, so people sometimes don't get enough machine to begin with.

- According to the link below, JD built @ 300,000 L/LA's in 2005. Some quick math would tell you there has got to be around 2 MILLION out there now. For every one complaint there are thousands that are doing fine.

http://greenevillesun.com/story/301008
I agree. Most people go online and vent when they are XXXXXX off only.

I dont have any faith in any of those programs. As far as I am concerned from everything I have read on these forums MOST that have issues are trying to do more than the tractor was designed for.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
How much does a base LA cost?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Regardless of the "why" behind failed transaxles, the fact is a consumer now owns a tractor that has failed, typically around 200 hours, and JD isn't too interested in making a free repair.

What choices do the consumer have?

First, would be to pay a dealer to repair/install a new K46 ... and expect to have the same results all over again. Cost: Around $400-$900

Second: Junk, trade-in or sell a perfectly good tractor, except for a broken bottom-of-the-line transaxle and buy something more robust. (X500, or something similar) Cost: $6000-$7000, plus whatever you lose in your current tractor and accessories!

Finally, do as hundreds have done: Do a K66 Upgrade, save your investment and get the tractor you always expected. The Upgrade provides almost twice the torque, is built to automotive standards and is fully serviceable. The results will amaze you. Cost: around $1600, including shipping. It's an easy 4-5 hour DIY project.

What makes the most sense?
[email protected]

·
Registered
547 Posts
The K46/T40 does seem to be ridiculus. I am sure some people have "pool table" flat yards, but most do not. I Deere had spent a little more on the transaxles on their L/LA line they would own this market. I know I would have paid a little more for a tranny that was servicable and I'm sure others across the board would have also.

I love my LA135 and was perfect for my needs, however, In the back of my mind I am waiting for the transaxle to fail. I think JD should offer a low cost upgrade option to keep their reputation high and breed loyal customers. Just does'nt make sense to me.
JMHO

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am one of those that bought a LA130, but I bought mine from the dealer just down the road from me, about 1/2 acre but with some good slopes down to the pond. Dealer didn't even try to sell me something more expensive for my lot.

I found out after 90 hours that the transimssion gave out, dealer wanted $900 to fix it. Well I didn't want it replaced with something that would most likely fail again in short order, so I upgraded it to the K66 and it worked well, but with the hills was still worried and wanted to be able to haul around the areator, rake and cart without issues. I have a big enough garage and found a great deal on a 1995 JD 425 AWS with only 448 hours on it, and decided it was time to upgrade, it sure seems like way to much tractor for my lot, but now at least I don't have to worry about it, and the neighbors are jealous.

Those cheap models are really not well designed and very flimsy, I should have went the older used market from the start.

I will say one thing though selling it was easy with the K66, and a couple web links to the problems with the k46, I had people calling me 1/2 hour after posting it on craigs list, and sold it for $200 less than I bought it for. I should have asked for more :)

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
You don't have to buy an "older" JD to get quality, you just have to prepare to fork over some green, to get the green and yellow that will last 30 years. It's no different today than it was 30 years ago.. There were consumer grade tractors and then there was the stuff built to last 30 years before needed to be rebuilt.. It's the same today as it was then.

JD Designed the LA's to compete at a price point in a cut throat market of consumer grade machines. IMHO none of them are up to par for maintaining anything more than a postage stamp.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yep you get what you pay for, that is timeless!

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
The K46/T40 does seem to be ridiculus. I am sure some people have "pool table" flat yards, but most do not. I Deere had spent a little more on the transaxles on their L/LA line they would own this market. I know I would have paid a little more for a tranny that was servicable and I'm sure others across the board would have also.

I love my LA135 and was perfect for my needs, however, In the back of my mind I am waiting for the transaxle to fail. I think JD should offer a low cost upgrade option to keep their reputation high and breed loyal customers. Just does'nt make sense to me.
JMHO
Perfectly said ! :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
funny, the K46 in my L130 has about 500 hours on it and runs as good as the day i bought it new. i've broke the FRONT axle 2x, but never a lick of problems out of the tranny. i mowed my 4 flat acres with it as well as 6-10 acres of various terrain for 4 years. sure there were problems with traction on steeper slopes, but i learned how to take it easy and only go down the worst parts. i did change the oil in it at ~225 hours, and that helped extend it's life. heck, i even used to have a sleeve hitch on it and used to disc/cultivate my garden with the L130 before i got the craftsman and later the x500.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,653 Posts
You don't have to buy an "older" JD to get quality, you just have to prepare to fork over some green, to get the green and yellow that will last 30 years. It's no different today than it was 30 years ago.. There were consumer grade tractors and then there was the stuff built to last 30 years before needed to be rebuilt.. It's the same today as it was then.

JD Designed the LA's to compete at a price point in a cut throat market of consumer grade machines. IMHO none of them are up to par for maintaining anything more than a postage stamp.
Well said, Brett. I'm sorry, but people's expectations of what $2000 will buy nowadays in lawn equipment is fairly unrealistic. Inflation has hit this market, just like in automobiles. Whatever car you paid $5000 for in 1970 will cost you over $30K today, if not more. Same goes with lawn mowers. The equivalent of a $1000 mower 20 years ago will now set you back $5-6K today at least, and if you want durability and longevity while trying to pull loads that weigh what the tractor does, mowing knee deep grass or pulling a plow, it's gonna cost you. Maintenance is another issue altogether. Whatever you buy requires attention, and those who aren't wrench savvy are gonna have to cough up the cash for someone else to do it, or it's not gonna last, regardless of what you paid.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts