My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
thats a bit harsh... also political comments are frowned upon here, per the forum rules:
  • Political or Religious Posts/Comments: Political comments are not allowed, and no derogatory/controversial religious threads allowed. If you are not sure, don’t post it!
that aside, i would rather buy a brand that has been solely owned by itself than a brand that sold out most of its line to AYP/Poulan...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yeah, a bit harsh. The Crime of the Century.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
if you think about it, saying you wouldn't even consider a saw brand because it doesn't have as good of a warranty, yet you have never had any experience with the brand sans a saw that you claim was "circling the drain" seems a bit counterintuitive... how can you speak for the reliability of a brand that you have no experience on, and then borderline attack those who have the saws and have good things to say about them.... where is the wisdom in that? we are NOT here to attack other brands, but to help each other make informed decisions on what to use, how to use it etc.

Reactions: Just Jeff

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,816 Posts
Gentlemen, let's get this thread back on track or its usefulness will be finished. Brand bashing is not constructive. The OP asked about the good and bad of the saws. Personal feelings about the brands in general are unwarranted.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I really like Echo's. I have a nice running 280E top handle from around 1980, a cs400, cs500, cs602, 650. I really like Stihls. Love my little MS170 for $159 new, the 290 Farm Boss has never let me down, and the MS 660 can almost keep up with my Homelite Super 1050 with the mill on it. Never owned a Husky, if I did I'd probably love it too. They are all quality saws. I've bought 17 saws in the last 6 months or so. All big old ones. If you want to know the best smallish, new saw for homeowner use, the one sold at the shop closest to you with the most helpful, informative personnel. I think it is silly to argue over how many pulls it takes to start a saw. I put the choke on, and zipzipzip, it pops, push the choke in, pull once or twice more and it's running. If you put a stop watch on it, I doubt there is half a second difference between 3 pulls and 6. Silliest argument ever, HAHA, my saw starts half a second faster than yours. The biggest factor in home owner saws is care, all sharp saws cut, all dull saws are a POS. Learn to tell the difference. Use the best oil you can get your hands on. Why spend several hundred dollars on a saw and put cheap oil in it. See if your dealer has any special deals over the next dealer. My Stihl dealer offers two chains for the price of one. My first thought was he just jacked the price up to make it sound good. One time I needed a 20" chain for my MS290 on a Sunday, my dealer is 15 miles away and was closed. Southern States is 2 miles away and open, so I got my chain there. It was two dollars MORE than my dealer, and I only got one. Things like that make a difference.

Then, don't rule out battery saws. Good ones are expensive, but they are holding their own against gas saws performance wise, and the gas never goes bad, and they are quiet. Plus you can get multi tool deals on battery saws. Just go with the bigger batteries. I was worried when DeWalt went to the 20 volt batteries and all mine were 18. They make an adapter to use the 20V's on the 18V tools. I would expect the manufactures to do the same with saws if they upgrade batteries. They can't afford to alienate half the owners by changing the batteries every couple years.

I'd say, when all else fails try a friends saw, but, I have NEVER run one of my non tree guys saws that was sharp. I could never under stand how they put a new chain on and the saw cuts great, and in a half hour they are cussing about the POS saw that won't cut?

Semi rant/advice over, Joe.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Great advice Joe, especially on keeping the chain sharp. I bought used MS262 and MS362. They both came with dull chains, and the 262 was so bad I threw it out once I bought a new one. It amazes me when people have a $6-800 pro saw and they can't file a chain or keep from trying to cutting rocks!

I just got one of the 12" 20V Dewalt saws. It's really handy for cleaning up little limbs in the yard and trimming. The only downside is you don't come in smelling like red neck cologne, which is always an entertaining way to torment my wife.

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
948 Posts
600-800? Shoot, I wish I paid that for my 462 9 months ago.
My saws are smaller 260 and 362. I bet there are used 462's our there with dull chains too!

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
My saws are smaller 260 and 362. I bet there are used 462's our there with dull chains too!
I've got a 261 as well. And I'm sure you're right about there being plenty of dull chains out there. I can only worry/take care of mine though!

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
I've got a 261 as well. And I'm sure you're right about there being plenty of dull chains out there. I can only worry/take care of mine though!
same here, got a first gen 280 with the electronic carb... when the e-needle o ring starts leaking, they run like crap...LOL

·
Registered
293 Posts
Bought my first saw in 1977, a mini-mac. Used it for one job in the yard and after using my buddie's 038, I became a Stihl owner. That one was an 028 Super I got in 1978. Awesome saw with no complaints and never in the shop. Sold it in 2006 to go with a lighter saw, a top handle ms192. Found that it wasn't quite up to doing the bigger stuff so three years ago I bought an MS250. Great price, on sale for $299, and decent weight, which is a concern with my back. Only trouble with the 250 is it's hard to pull over for me. I'm not a youngster anymore. Well, as I mentioned in another post, last week I picked up a used MS270 that is next to new. It reminds me of my first 028. It's easy for me to pull, starts right up, and runs like a champ. My recommendation is a STIHL, simply because I have nothing else to compare it to. Good luck with your choice.
Duane

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Duane, it's funny how you say some smaller saws can be hard to start. Over on AS we were just talking about that. I was joking with the guy with the little saw, because it had a decomp valve. I said that they put the decomps on those little saws for wimps. My all time favorite saw is one of my Dad's Super 1050's. It's 100CC's with no decomp. Then one of the real knowledgeable guys said he would rather start my 1050 with no decomp than one of the smaller Macs, and not use the decomp. I think the long and short of the discussion was, in an effort to make saws smaller and lighter, they made the starter and pulley smaller to fit the case. But, then it lost a lot of the mechanical advantage it took to crank it over, and with continued use with out the decomp, you could damage parts and ring stuff off. So the decomp was not for the wimp. One of my other favorite saws is the little Homelite Super EZ. I think they are only about 35CC's, and they have a decomp.
Super 1050.

Super EZ. The little one with the bar is the Super EZ. I got that one at a farm auction for $2. It had so much honey suckle wrapped around the ckutch it couldn't turn over. Cleaned it up and it's a great runner.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts