My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had a 435 that I got in a lot of stuff I bought. It was finicky to start, worse when warm than cold. I think it sat for a while before I got it, and suffered from junk gas gunk.

I ran a few tanks through it and wasn’t impressed. I gave it away.

I would consider looking around on the used market. There are plenty of low use saws if you aren’t in a rush. You could likely find a Gently used MS 251 for the price of those saws new. You will end up with a much stronger saw that can last for many years.

I happen to like Stihl and don’t mind the caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sounds like you gents have had good luck with Stihls. I'm glad you're satisfied with them. But with the 3 pieces of Echo that I have that always start a bunch easier than my grouchy Stihl saw, no way would I ever buy a Stihl product. The 5 yeart warranty that Echo serves up is impossible to pass up in my book.

For boogieboy: what oil are you mixing? Sounds like you're brewing up some rocket fuel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought my 023 over 20 yrs ago , and I wouldn’t sell it for any price, spring summer fall winter, 3 pulls and I’m cutting, wife just bought me a husqvarna 560 rancher, out of the box a piece of crap, hard starting, hot start was almost impossible, I put a 20” bar on it, replaced the plug with an ngk, made a heat shield to put between carb and cyl fins, starts easy now, and cuts the bigger stuff my o23 is to small for, BUT I always grab the stihl first, I think it has the original plug in it.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Don't even get me going on Stihl "flippy caps". Stihls answer to something that was not a problem. I will NEVER consider a Stihl because of flippy caps. Absolutely stupid trying to improve on a screw cap with an O ring that can be replaced. BTW, Husky flippy caps are interchangeable with the old style. Here they are on a rebuilt/ported 288XP that will absolutely smoke Stihl MS660/661s at chainsaw races.
DSCF0005.JPG

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have had good results with my 029 farm boss for years. Is it true that Stihl is going with fixed jets this year? They said that the carbs are cheaper than the carb kit. No more adjustments.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hotajax, I think there is something abnormally wrong with your Stihl. All of mine start on the second pull cold, and first hot. Before I moved to this house and started burning wood again, my 029 Super would sit for many months and always fire right up.
I don’t own any of the new electronic carbs. My Dad has a MS 261 that I think has an elec carb. I got it for him for the compression release so it’s easier to pull. He never complains about it starting hard and he hated that 435 I gave him. Boy did I hear about that thing!

For the OP, I don’t think you told us what you intend to do with the saw. If you are just cutting down limbs that fall, either would be fine. You might even consider a LI battery powered saw.

If you want to cut larger wood into firewood or fell trees I think something a little bigger would make a huge difference for you. An Echo could be a good choice if you like to buy new.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Sounds like you gents have had good luck with Stihls. I'm glad you're satisfied with them. But with the 3 pieces of Echo that I have that always start a bunch easier than my grouchy Stihl saw, no way would I ever buy a Stihl product. The 5 yeart warranty that Echo serves up is impossible to pass up in my book.

For boogieboy: what oil are you mixing? Sounds like you're brewing up some rocket fuel.
Just standard e10 87 octane from a reputible station(typically the marathon at the end of the block) a dose of Startron to fight ethanol issues, and stihl HPUltra oil mixed 50/1... and store it off the ground in a sealed container. Not rocket science....LOL only time i had an issue with ethanol was my snowblower a few yrs back, forgot to treat what was left in it for storage, and gunked the carb... other than that, i havent had issues (however i know all the tricks and what works to treat ethanol as a small engine mechanic....LOL startron works... if you have water issues, K100 works...

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Just standard e10 87 octane from a reputible station(typically the marathon at the end of the block) a dose of Startron to fight ethanol issues, and stihl HPUltra oil mixed 50/1... and store it off the ground in a sealed container. Not rocket science....LOL only time i had an issue with ethanol was my snowblower a few yrs back, forgot to treat what was left in it for storage, and gunked the carb... other than that, i havent had issues (however i know all the tricks and what works to treat ethanol as a small engine mechanic....LOL startron works... if you have water issues, K100 works...
I would have loved to know this years ago, prior to slamming a Lawn Boy on the ground, tossing several Stihl chain saws into the brush only to have dig them out. I buy Stihl Motomix, Trufuel or JP Racing premixed fuel and now use my 2 stroke tools when I want.

Set the Lawn Boys on the curb only to have my neighbor move them across the street and use them for a time, ethonal must have got them twice.

CCMoe

·
Registered
936 Posts
Boobieboy: You mentioned not storing your 2 cycle mix on the ground. That's new to me. If it's in one of those red plastic gas cans, does it get contaminated if it's sitting on a concrete floor?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had lots of problems with 2 strokes before I started using non ethanol gas. Now, none of mine have any problems starting or running. I'm lucky that VT sells non ethanol at the pump at some stations. There is one of those stations in Putney where my mom lives so every time I go to visit, I bring a can. I will never leave ethanol gas in a 2 stroke again.

As for the Echo vrs Stihl/Husky debate. I spent some time looking at Echo specs on line. I mostly looked at 50-60 cc saws because that's what I use and I'm familiar with. It seems like they are similar to power/weight and not that much cheaper for saws that have similar specs. I guess it comes down to feel and +/- $50. I personally like German mechanical design better than Japanese. I hate driving Japanese cars and I love German cars. I would gladly spend the extra $50 to get a tool I like the feel of.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Boobieboy: You mentioned not storing your 2 cycle mix on the ground. That's new to me. If it's in one of those red plastic gas cans, does it get contaminated if it's sitting on a concrete floor?
yep, ever set a plastic can on concrete on a hot day? ever notice the wet spot on the concrete under it when you move it? thats from the ethanol leaching the water thru the can from the porous concrete. at the very least, put a piece of wood under your can to prevent this from happening.

·
Super Moderator
10,575 Posts
I recently put a gallon of room temperature maple syrup in a plastic container on the steps as I came in from shopping...concrete steps.....and I forgot about it for a while.......but that left a wet spot on the concrete also....I think if you look into it that you will find that it would also happen with a metal container...and that it is condensation caused by the cool concrete lowering the temperature in the container...if you also notice..it does not occur when really cold out

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Echo makes good products. That being said, I'm a Stihl man. I've got a 261 and a 462. Both of them start just fine within two or three pulls. The 261 doesn't need the compression release that it's got, I've never had any trouble pulling it over. And if a person is worried about starting issues, the new Stihl 500i has now been released. The first fuel injected chainsaw. That should start every time without fail. Like someone above said, I also run Motomix. 94 or 96 (I forget which) octane, and guaranteed shelf life of 2 years if unopened. I don't cut daily, if I did, I'd just stick with ethanol free. But keeping a couple of gallons of Motomix on hand is all I need for most situations.

·
Registered
936 Posts
TurboAudi80. No matter what, hard to beat the 5 year consumer warranty that Echo gives you. FIVE YEARS!!! Nobody gives you five years on anything anymore. Furthermore, the Stihl dealers around here are deadbeats. I have to drive about 35 miles to find a Stihl dealer that knows how to fix my saw (PS - I didn't buy this saw, someone who was buying a new saw gave it to me while it was circling the drain).

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Spriklerfitter: Re: your Stihl saw. Do you attend church regularly? Seems like you're in the clover with that saw.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
TurboAudi80. No matter what, hard to beat the 5 year consumer warranty that Echo gives you. FIVE YEARS!!! Nobody gives you five years on anything anymore. Furthermore, the Stihl dealers around here are deadbeats. I have to drive about 35 miles to find a Stihl dealer that knows how to fix my saw (PS - I didn't buy this saw, someone who was buying a new saw gave it to me while it was circling the drain).
That length of warranty is great if your saw is a POS and needs regular warranty coverage. Neither of my Stihls have needed any warranty work since I've had them. And I've had my 261 for 4 (I think) years. It's obvious that you love Echos. That's fine, there's nothing wrong with them. But you got a garbage Stihl saw from someone who was getting rid of it because it was garbage, and then act surprised that it runs like garbage. Have you ever bought your own Stihl?

·
Super Moderator
10,575 Posts
JJ....they would not offer a 5 year warranty if they really expected the saw to be in for warranty work all the time ....that they offer 5 years is testimony to their confidence in their product...I have bought a lot of new Stihl equipment, not just saws, and wound up one day when a Stihl ( blower this time) would not start up...I had the same experience with just about every Stihl I have owned...so I went and got another Echo ( I had previously had an echo blower for about 30 years..then got the stihl which was always problematic)...since that experience I have not bought another Stihl...and never had to take an echo in for any warranty work

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
JJ....they would not offer a 5 year warranty if they really expected the saw to be in for warranty work all the time ....that they offer 5 years is testimony to their confidence in their product...I have bought a lot of new Stihl equipment, not just saws, and wound up one day when a Stihl ( blower this time) would not start up...I had the same experience with just about every Stihl I have owned...so I went and got another Echo ( I had previously had an echo blower for about 30 years..then got the stihl which was always problematic)...since that experience I have not bought another Stihl...and never had to take an echo in for any warranty work
[/QUOTE

I agree, they wouldn't offer a 5 year warranty if they didn't believe their products were quality. And I've said twice in this thread already, that Echo makes good products. I've got nothing negative to say about them, they're good products. But when someone posts negative comments about a saw they got used, it's not a fair comparison to something that was bought new. It's all just personal preference. I use and like Stihl, and they've served me well.
Don't know why my comment didn't post the first time. What I said was, that yes, Echo is obviously confident in their machines or they wouldn't offer a 5 year warranty. I've said twice in this thread already the Echo makes a good product. But comparing a new Echo to a used saw that somebody gave away, isn't an apples to apples comparison at all.

·
'84 U-Haul Horse
45 Posts
i love my sthil ms 362c - 4th season w/ no issues easy start, lightweight and lots of power. fast and smooth running little saw

·
Registered
878 Posts
This is not a political forum. If you want to make comments like that, go find somewhere else.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts