My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone's opinion about the Husqvarna 435e vs the Stihl 180c-be? Looking at replacement saws in the 250 range. Thanks

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Do NOT buy any saw with the tool less chain tensioner, they are POS. Since both have it I would avoid both models.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I see the Stihl 211 and Wood Boss dont have this feature any opinions on them?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Buy an Echo and avoid a lifetime of aggravation. You'll never beat Echo's 5 ( as in FIVE ) year warranty.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hunter2: I apologize for putting my opinion out there without being asked. I don't know anything about Huskies from first hand experience. All that I am trying to tell you is this: Echo stuff works. I have 3 pieces of Echo equipment. Even if they have been sitting for mos ( I use e-free fuel with synthetic oil ) they ALWAYS start up by the 4th pull. In fact, just yesterday, I started up a hedge trimmer that had been sitting for probably a year. Sputtered on the 2nd pull and was purring on the 4th pull. Not bad. I know my Stihl saw would cuss me out for letting it sit for so long. Good luck with whatever you pursue.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Registered
696 Posts
If your budget lets you, buy the highest "grade" saw you can, ie, avoid "harry homeowner" saws.
And if possible try them.
My experience.
I bought a Stihl 024 years ago, because it was the smallest commercial model Stihl had.
It always ran and started very well, until I burned it up trying to remove a stump.
I got a replacement, a Stihl 250, newer, a bit more power and lighter. BUT it's VERY hard to start, hard to pull over and runs "harsh". The older 024 is a bit heavier, has better vibration isolation, pulls easier and overall runs smoother.

I kept looking and finally found a like new 024, back to happy.
The only reason I'd look smaller is if one had a decompression feature.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know I'm late to this party, but I'll chime in. I have a MS180 and just got a text my new MS261c is in. I don't have any experience with the Husqvarna, but the MS180 is a good saw as long as you are aware of it's limitations and what it's meant for. It's meant for light storm cleanup and limbing. It does well there. Cutting up pine after a storm it did fantastic. It struggled a bit cutting up larger rounds of maple and dropping ash. Overall I've asked way more of it than I had any right to and it's completed each task. If I had it to do all over again, I'd go bigger off the bat instead of buying small and wishing I had gotten a bigger saw when larger tasks needed to be done.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I got to use a 435 for the first time last weekend. It’s light ran pretty good, didn’t start that well. Seems like a good homeowner saw. The MS180 has a quite a bit less displacement and a little less power, but comparable. the 211 is probably a closer match. 2 things I didn’t like about the 435 is the choke/ fast idle pull out control is not as easy to use as Stihl’s switch, and I really don’t like outboard clutches.

Not a fair comparison price wise, but was using my 241 at the same time, made me appreciate the 241.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
936 Posts
I always start my saws at least once a month. Echo saw: Running on the 4th pull. Stihl saw: 7 pulls to get it to burp. They both sat for the same length of time in the same location with the same fuel mixture ( RedMax premix ). I know what I'd do if I was buying another. Stihl is like the moody wife - you don't know what you're getting that day. In fact, I have a 45 year old Homelite XL-12 that is really battered and kicked around by my late father and my uncle. That Homelite even starts better than the Stihl. You want stress and high blood pressure? Buy the Stihl.

Reactions: Brianf

·
Registered
936 Posts
Forgot to mention: There are far more ex-Stihl owners out there than ex-Echo owners.

Reactions: 9297oldram

·
Registered
719 Posts
I bought a new stihl in 2008 and it died in 2012. I then bought a echo and it's still cutting, averages about 20 truck loads a year. Tuned it up just once about 3 years ago, same clutch and sprocket.

I'd never buy another stilh also because of the fuel and oil caps, and then I here something about a new style carb that can't be adjusted.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Forgot to mention: There are far more ex-Stihl owners out there than ex-Echo owners.
Would really like to see the source of data on that statement. Fourth generation and 50 years in the business, licensed and insured, never seen it in any trade publications.

I recommend Echos to friends because of the price, I have 11 or 12 of them.

I use Stihl. I have a good shop within walking distance. A tid bit on power. Echo has a 116 CC saw, CS1201, not available in the US. It’s only rated to pull a 31 inch bar. The Stihl 880 and Husky 3120, both in the same size range will both pull 72” bars.

I had a need for a small saw on short notice. Went to my local Echo dealer and the 300 series climbing saw I wanted was around $300. Went next door to Southern States, and they had the MS 170 on sale for $159. I bought it as a throw away saw. It’s lived on the back of my truck for five years, never take it in, snow, rain, it doesn’t care. I blow out the air filter and that’s about it. Hasn’t needed a tune up yet. For a cheap little saw it works way above its pay grade.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Hunter2: I apologize for putting my opinion out there without being asked. I don't know anything about Huskies from first hand experience. All that I am trying to tell you is this: Echo stuff works. I have 3 pieces of Echo equipment. Even if they have been sitting for mos ( I use e-free fuel with synthetic oil ) they ALWAYS start up by the 4th pull. In fact, just yesterday, I started up a hedge trimmer that had been sitting for probably a year. Sputtered on the 2nd pull and was purring on the 4th pull. Not bad. I know my Stihl saw would cuss me out for letting it sit for so long. Good luck with whatever you pursue.
as an FYI, all my stihl stuff does that too, have an ms170, ms280, and an 056... so does my Deere cs56, and my 2 old poulans...even my worn out old homelite super xl... keep good fuel and good mix oil in them and they will not disappoint no matter the brand.... even my weedwacker collection... just fired up a crappy troybilt 23cc weed whip last week that has sat in my basement for over a year... 3 pull it sprang to life....

·
Registered
2020 2025r
8 Posts

My Stihl wood boss will sit for a year and start right away.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Sthil ms 250 gas/oil caps are a joke---I HATE sthil because of that! ---ms250 is and o.k. saw and I like using is---DESPISE refuleing it, so it dont get used much by me. My faves are Echo cs 310 and Blue Max!-- ya chimnaeese junk but for the price not bad.
Depends on how much you intend to saw and how big of a hurry you are in ----- neither one of your choices are high production saws.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts