My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had one, but after finding this forum I'm intrigued! I grew up with Snappers, but since getting married and purchasing a home, I first had a very cheap Murray (for a few years) and then a Husqvarna for the past 7 years. The Husqvarna has been an ok performer with the Honda engine being it's highlight. However, it's never been a great mulcher (which is my preference when mowing), even with a Gator blade, so this summer I decided to look into getting a different mower. I picked up a 5 year old push Snapper mulcher w/ Ninja blade off of Craigslist that seemed to be a good deal -- mower looked great, had all the accessories, etc. However there was vibration when it was running - but I didn't think too much of it -- too naive I guess. I mowed with it a few times, but the vibration was still there and getting more annoying. Finally I took the blade off and the PO had obviously hit something pretty hard -- blade had some pretty deep gouges in it. Got the blade sharpened and balanced, put the blade back on and the vibration was better, but definitely not gone. Mowed with it again and happened to check underneath the deck -- there was now some oil underneath the deck around the crankshaft. Because of that and the continuing vibration, I'm now pretty sure it has a bent crankshaft. :(

I've considered repowering it with a different engine, but it looks like I may have the opportunity to purchase a 10260 LB - http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/for/1858743237.html. I'm looking to mulch most of the time and bag leaves in the fall. Would this be a good mower to do that with? How about the price? Other options I should consider? I'm also not opposed to a 2-stroke, but I've had mixed results with them in the past.

Thanks!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi Thor. I don't think that is a bad machine at all. I have 2 similar machines with the 4.5 hp Tecumseh. They both start up on the first or second pull every time. Personally I prefer the 2 strokes but that is mostly because I know more about them, and I hate changing oil. The one in that ad looks very well cared for so I think the price is fair. I don't think you could go wrong with it.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Personally i would get a 2 cycle because of the power in the tall grass. Those Tec lawn boys were good machines, but the tecs are known to throw connecting rods out of the side of the block. Some guys in MN on the forum could prolly hook you up with a nice Duraforce or F series mower.

·
Banned
864 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hi there Thor263,

That LB looks sweet for $100 & well taken care of // can't go wrong.

P.S. - the ad said, "Only non-oxygenated fuel used (oxygenated fuels offer poor performance and cause carburator problems due to build of of deposits)"

Never heard of this - any one can fill me in !!!
-----> thk's in advance...

---------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately I received an email from the owner of the Craiglist mower this morning stating he had sold it yesterday. :( So, back to looking. Also, if anyone has any good leads on a mower, preferably non self-propelled, let me know!

·
Banned
864 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
P.S. - the ad said, "Only non-oxygenated fuel used (oxygenated fuels offer poor performance and cause carburator problems due to build of of deposits)"

--

LOL. Total BS.

·
Registered
388 Posts
PM sent.

·
Registered
141 Posts
- the ad said, "Only non-oxygenated fuel used (oxygenated fuels offer poor performance and cause carburator problems due to build of of deposits)"

-----> thk's in advance...
In some parts of the country this term is very popular and gas pumps will clearly be marked non-oxygenated. In other places no one has ever heard of non-oxygenated gas. The punch line is that non-oxygenated gas just means gas with no ethanol. Around here non-oxygenated or ethanol-free gas is sometimes called marine gas. It's 92 octane and usually costs about 20 cents more than premium.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Wow, I guess I've been ruining all my two cycle and four cycle engines their entire life with "non-oxygenated" regular gas.....its all I will buy. Its thankfully only 5 cents more per gallon here.

I would say the opposite is what ruins small engines but don't wanna offend anyone booohooo.

·
Registered
833 Posts
ThkU GravelPit - for the explanation of the non-oxygenated gas.

I always use high Octane gas in my seasonal equipment....

------------------------------------
Beaumont { : > ))
--------------------------------------------------------------------
www.petperfectexpress.com
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr.Onan P218, 1998 JD GT262 w/new Kawasaki OHV, 19xx Ford LGT,
JD #49 blower, 1986 Toro 824 snowblower, Honda HS624 track drive blower, STIHL 2 stroke F5 85 & F5 35 grass trimmer,
TORO 20526C push mower 21" Recycler w/Suzuki 4 stroke, HONDA CT70 MiniBike & COKE COOLER Chest
1965 Malibu S/S, 1985 Monte Carlo S/S original paint, 1987 Pontiac GTA original paint L98-TPI
1966 Beaumont Custom original paint,
1967 Beaumont Custom, 1967 Beaumont Custom original paint, 1967 Beaumont 396-350HP Sport Deluxe M21-411's
- SOLD 1970 GTO Judge RAIII, original paint, triple black, # match, 4 speed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok, I've got another strange question. With 2-stroke LBs, do you tend to end up smelling like the exhaust after mowing? That probably would not go over well with the wife.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
If the 2 cycle oil smell is a problem, my wife has a very sensitive nose as well. If you can find a older Toro re-cycler with the Briggs quantum motor it`s a 4 stroke. The re-cycler has kicker under the deck. The re-cycler are a great mulching mower and a Gator blade would help as well.To bad you missed out on that Lawn Boy, my Toro does a great job mulching leaves.

Heres a oldie but a goody. old snapper

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/grd/1890361186.html

I know this isn't a walk behind mower but it a steal at $200.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/grd/1890188386.html

No picture Lawn Boy 2 stroke motor w/electric start

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/grd/1890075655.html

Good luck finding a mower

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Ok, I've got another strange question. With 2-stroke LBs, do you tend to end up smelling like the exhaust after mowing? That probably would not go over well with the wife.
Yes. And you're right, it doesn't go over well. I don't get excited over the smell either, to be honest. My wife makes me change clothes after I mow, and shower. I usually do that anyway, but still... The smell, I take it or leave it. As you can see, I have both 4-cycles and 2-cycles, and can appreciate the pros and cons of both.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
I use both 2 and 4 cycle power, only once I had a 4 cycle trimmer, never again to many mowing parts for a hand tool, it was heavy and never ran that good. Even a back pack blower I`ll only buy and a 2 cycle. I seen guys spend $500 plus on a 4 cycle back pack and then have problems with the motor when they need it the most. Shindaiwa dropped their big 4 cycle back pack blower and only have 2 cycle powering them now, they did that last year.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
I agree with you. If it's all original, it has to be a 1996 model 10418.

I'd offer him $50, and pay no more than $75. It's on a mag deck, but it's a B&S Quantum engine. It should run fine for a long time. Those staggered-deck/B&S models aren't very popular, so it's an uncommon find in my opinion.

Let us know if you get it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got it. :)

Here's the interesting part -- the guy who was selling it received it for doing some work for an older college professor. Apparently the professor only used it for one season and it's been in storage since. It's in really, really great shape. Just a few minor things -- the starter rope appears to have streched some, so it's not taut -- not a big deal. Same with the cable for the engine bail -- it's stretched just a little bit, so it just needs to be tightened up. The blade is a little rusty, but most of the deck underneath is still green (as well as the mulching fan), with just a couple of spots of peeling paint. I'm really looking forward to using it -- after I change the oil and get the blade sharpened.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts