My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tractor-Hunter
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here.. I'll try to keep this brief and to the point..

I am looking into a Kubota for the first time, possibly a BX1860 or BX2350 or BX2360... Price is a concern, as it normally is.

I am considering a purchase brand new (Unless someone is selflessly trying to sell their relatively modern model!?!), and am considering the FEL, but probably no mower, as I will use a PTO finish mower later on.

WHAT ARE YOU USING THIS FOR!?!

We own over 5 acres, will probably brush hog about 2+ acres, and finish mow the front 2+ acres. The land is all hills, and definitely needs some raking/grading/smoothing, as well as removal of a ton of rocks/stone from when the house was finished built in October, as well as the septic tiles.

QUALITY OF WORK!?
This is way out in the country, and we do not plan to 'seed' the yard that would make Bob Villa proud, we will try to keep the grass and weeds cut neat, and maybe over time overseed in an attempt to kill off some weeds...

The front of the yard has a lot of old rickity trees, and fence posts with barbed wire from when this was a field, so the FEL should come in handy if I choose to buy it for that purpose.

We are in Ohio, and have about a 400ft driveway that I used a snowblower on an old tractor last year (first winter here) worked fine on the gravel drive, but if I got a FEL, I'd plan to sell this old tractor and only have one main tractor.. so either look at a snowblower or blade to put on the FEL (so as to not fill up the bucket constantly while plowing in the wet thick ohio snow).

That is the jist of it, ask questions away, I've hunted through craigslist a ton, and found many for the $7000+ range, which makes me say "let's just buy new".. but under that range I think I'd be very curious to buy used. Added to that I definitely want 4wd for these uses, and plan to have R4s on it all around...

Please help, ask questions, suggestions, etc. as I first started this tractor search looking at ford 8n's... and here I am now looking at a Kubota 5x more expensive (oy vey)

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
Bassic,

In today's world, we all need to carefully consider our wallets. Kudos to you for doing so. If you go with a CUT or SCUT, don't skimp and do it without a FEL. Otherwise, you will have purchased the machine without one of the most basic and useful implements.

A FEL and rear blade combo is what many of us here use. I personally like a front blower, but I have some additional chin-yang in my set up. Used is always a possibility, but maintenance and usage history is everything.

Let us know more about what you are thinking. :)

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
First things first: :Welcome1:

You've come to the right place for your questions. There are a bunch of Kubota users here and all that I've encountered are very great people and always willing to answer questions.

Now to your question. I'm not a Kubota user but I have about the same homestead setting.

I'm not going to go into brands and colors, just uses and specs.

My drive is about a quarter mile in the mountains of WV. My "lawn" is just simply grass and weeds, and I have all kinds of utility uses here with rental property and about 10 acres.

I don't have 4WD, but I would love to have it. I do have a FEL and would be lost without it. I also use a 3PH grooming mower and love it. And the BH is a must just to have it when you do need it.

My machine is 28hp and weighs right at 8000 lbs with the loader and hoe on, ballast in the rear tires, and full of fuel.

Just from what I have read here, the subCUT tractors are extremely practical and have a lot more power than I ever thought. It sounds like you have a machine in mind that would suit you and your property wonderfully.

Others with greater expertise, I feel, with back me up on this one.

Again, :Welcome1: and enjoy some great reading material here.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I too have five acres, and a 400ft drive. I have a 2360 with MMM,loader,front snowblower and a rear blade. It's very handy for landscape projects,mowing and blowing snow. In Wisconsin we can get some hard snow storms with drifting. I've used loaders,blades rear mount snowblower and the 50 inch front blower is the best of all. Gets the job done and me out of the cold. Before the BX I mowed my fields with a 6ft rear finish and a larger tractor. Now with the 60inch MMM I get a nicer job and it's faster becouse it gets around much better. Just finished a landscape project yesterday that I had too move about two dozen loads of dirt on the loader. It saves so much time and just makes doing this kind of thing fun. It's expensive stuff but I would not want to be without it

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I agree that the 60" MMM (mid mount mower) is hard to beat. It is easy to cut close to anything (trees, walls, flowerbeds, you name it) and so far hasn't had issues with anything I've dared cut with it. I've gone through 10-12" high grass growing in a muddy section at the bottom of the field and it had no trouble mowing it right down to 2" in a single pass (yes, I was cutting the FULL width of the deck!). A word of caution on the BX2350; I have one and love it, but some people are severely bothered with a small problem they have. They have a nasty tendency to stop IMMEDIATELY when you take your foot of the pedal when going in reverse!! Look up the abrupt Reverse Stop issue in the Kubota SCUT/CUT thread. I've learned to handle it, either feathering slowly off the reverse pedal or placing my foot under the forward pedal and pulling back/up on it (I prefer this as I have better control on it). The BX23xx has just enough power (and PTO lifting capability) for a 48" brush hog. I tried the neighbor's 60" a few weeks ago, it'll run it ok, but that much weight out back causes more than a minor steering issue!! For the price and land you have, definitely go for the 23HP unit. You won't need it all the time, but you'll be very disappointed when you do need it if you don't have it!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just bought a Kubota B2320 tractor, and it is great. A bit taller than the BX series, but has the same 23 hp diesel engine. I have a FEL and BH, and they are 2 of the most useful implements you will ever need.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a bx2200 which is close to the specs you mention. I love the quick attach front end loader and is the real reason I upgraded from a garden tractor. The only comment I would make is to carefully consider the idea of a rear mount finish mower. They probably cut OK, but trimming up close (such as a fence line) with a rear mount mower can be tricky as the back end always swings away from the direction you turn. For example, you decide the fence is too close to your right side, so you turn to the left to move away. The mower swings to the right and takes out the bottom board or gets tangled in the wire.
Not saying it can't be done, but with my mid mount mower, my 10 year old can trim right up next to buildings.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Welcome aboard Bassicfun.

I maintain alittle over 4 acres w/an 04 BX23 and theres no doubt it could easily handle 5 acres. I finish mow mine w/a 60" MMM. A BX would definitely do what you need. The larger B would also work for you with the advantage of a higher ground clearance, higher 3ph and FEL capacities and a slightly more comfortable ride over rough terrain (bigger wheels = better ride).

The largest rotary cutter recommended for the big BX's is 48". The owners manual spec's out 42 but theres been many BX owners that have had great success wprkign a 48" RC.
The BX is spec'ed out for upto a 60" RFM (rear finish mower).
When shopping for 3ph implements for a BX, make sure to shop for implements designed for Subcuts. Thewse implements work w/what is classified with the "limited 3ph's". The lower rear wheels won't provide enough height for most std implements and in many cases the 3ph won't spread wide enough for them. That said, Subcuts have been around for awhile now so implements are plentiful both new & used.

A used BX that doesn't have alot of hrs would be a good machine to get at the right price. These machines are designed to run for 1000's of hrs so the higher the hrs, the less the cost. Theres usually good deals out on lower hr BX's w/implements because their owners are looking to trade up to a bigger machine.

A brief history on the BX.

1st models were:
BX1500, 15hp, FEL, 48" MMM
BX1800, 18hp, FEL, 48" or 54" MMM
BX2200, 22hp, FEL, 54" or 60" MMM
BX22 (TLB), 22hp, FEL. BH, 54" or 60" MMM

redesigned to:
BX1500, 15hp, FEL, 48" MMM
BX1830, 18hp, FEL, 54" or 60" MMM
BX2230, 22hp, FEL, 54" or 60" MMM
BX23 (TLB) 22hp, FEL, BH, 54" or 60" MMM

redesigned to:
BX1850,18hp, FEL, 48" or 54" MMM
BX2350, 23hp, FEL, 54" or 60" MMM
BX24 (TLB), 23hp, FEL, BH, 54" or 60" MMM

Present:
BX1860, 18hp, FEL, 48" or 54" MMM
BX2360, 23hp, FEL, 54" or 60" MMM
BX2660, 26hp, FEL, 54" or 60" MMM
BX25 (TLB) 23hp, FEL, BH, 54" or 60" MMM

Good luck

·
Master Lawn Cutter
43 Posts
Hi Bassicfun,

I a very happy Kubota owner.

I researched heavily for a new tractor from Nov '94 to Mar '95, then settled on a L2900. At the time, I went with a Landpride FD 25-60 grooming mower. Had I know more about such things, I would have purchased the Mid-Mount-Mower. I did not need the Front End Loader, so that was out.

I used the tractor to imrove my property from Mar '95 trought '97. I purchased a 54" tiller, and tilled some two acres to help level the front of my property. I graded a 150 driveway with a box for the first three years. It worked a lot at that time.

Now, it just cuts grass (each grass session is a two hour thing). I have almost 500 hours on this 14 year old tractor. I changed the battery once.

I have had no mechanical issues of any kind. It starts well every time. and runs like a sewing machine. I'm very pleased with my little tractor.

·
Mi Man
117 Posts
Welcome Bassicfun; I have had my BX2360 over 60 days now and over 60hrs. Have the FEL, 48" brushhog, made a rear grader blade and a bolt on 5'X24" snow blade. Thus far it's everything I needed for my 10 acers and a 900' driveway. I have pic posted at members gallery jb62901 best of luck on your quest.... John

·
Guru on the Mountain
2,072 Posts
First time poster here.. I'll try to keep this brief and to the point..

I am looking into a Kubota for the first time, possibly a BX1860 or BX2350 or BX2360... Price is a concern, as it normally is.

I am considering a purchase brand new (Unless someone is selflessly trying to sell their relatively modern model!?!), and am considering the FEL, but probably no mower, as I will use a PTO finish mower later on.

WHAT ARE YOU USING THIS FOR!?!

We own over 5 acres, will probably brush hog about 2+ acres, and finish mow the front 2+ acres. The land is all hills, and definitely needs some raking/grading/smoothing, as well as removal of a ton of rocks/stone from when the house was finished built in October, as well as the septic tiles.

QUALITY OF WORK!?
This is way out in the country, and we do not plan to 'seed' the yard that would make Bob Villa proud, we will try to keep the grass and weeds cut neat, and maybe over time overseed in an attempt to kill off some weeds...

The front of the yard has a lot of old rickity trees, and fence posts with barbed wire from when this was a field, so the FEL should come in handy if I choose to buy it for that purpose.

We are in Ohio, and have about a 400ft driveway that I used a snowblower on an old tractor last year (first winter here) worked fine on the gravel drive, but if I got a FEL, I'd plan to sell this old tractor and only have one main tractor.. so either look at a snowblower or blade to put on the FEL (so as to not fill up the bucket constantly while plowing in the wet thick ohio snow).

That is the jist of it, ask questions away, I've hunted through craigslist a ton, and found many for the $7000+ range, which makes me say "let's just buy new".. but under that range I think I'd be very curious to buy used. Added to that I definitely want 4wd for these uses, and plan to have R4s on it all around...

Please help, ask questions, suggestions, etc. as I first started this tractor search looking at ford 8n's... and here I am now looking at a Kubota 5x more expensive (oy vey)

Well, need to decide if you want a CUT or SubCut. There are some good prices on both slightly used and some incentives on new. The subcut will outperform the cut for lawn work but nothing else. Recommend 4wd and loader whichever way you go. Subcuts not much good for bushhog as will be 4", but for 5 acres you can get by. You may need sheild for hydrofan on JD series subcuts for bushhog use with heavier stuff unless design fixed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Greetings Basicfun, I just joined but have had my new Kubota B2320 with FEL and 60" MMM for 1 year exactly. I don't know how I ever lived with out one. I have 16.5 acres with ~9 ac of it in trees. ~3000' driveway and 50/50 level/sloped (~12 deg or more slope) property. 4WD is a must for me but I have no problem with turf tires (I hope to get the previously cultivated farmland looking like lawn). When 4WD just spins a turf tire, I just stamp on the diff lock and away I go. I've just picked up a 4' box scraper and have been smoothing out the bumps in the yard and digging up the humps in the driveway. For me, the HST is the most important thing if you are going to be using the FEL much at all. Being able to change direction with the shift of the foot makes for effecient and less tedious seat time.
My CUT is the muscle I would have never had to get most things done. Moving things around seems to be its forte. I pick up 8' to 10' logs with ease, move old slabs of decking, leveled a 4' high dirt pile that was about 20x15 from pool excavation and I'm just looking for more things to do with it besides spend 5 hours cutting grass.
I'd love to find a wood splitter and/or chipper to further compliment what the unit will do. I considered a backhoe, but the price tag was too steep for the 2-4 projects that you'd ever need one for.

So, good luck with your decision. You'll probably not regret getting something new when you consider the worry-free time you'll get out of it the first 5-10 years depending on how meticulous you are.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Greetings Basicfun, I just joined but have had my new Kubota B2320 with FEL and 60" MMM for 1 year exactly. I don't know how I ever lived with out one. I have 16.5 acres with ~9 ac of it in trees. ~3000' driveway and 50/50 level/sloped (~12 deg or more slope) property. 4WD is a must for me but I have no problem with turf tires (I hope to get the previously cultivated farmland looking like lawn). When 4WD just spins a turf tire, I just stamp on the diff lock and away I go. I've just picked up a 4' box scraper and have been smoothing out the bumps in the yard and digging up the humps in the driveway. For me, the HST is the most important thing if you are going to be using the FEL much at all. Being able to change direction with the shift of the foot makes for effecient and less tedious seat time.
My CUT is the muscle I would have never had to get most things done. Moving things around seems to be its forte. I pick up 8' to 10' logs with ease, move old slabs of decking, leveled a 4' high dirt pile that was about 20x15 from pool excavation and I'm just looking for more things to do with it besides spend 5 hours cutting grass.
I'd love to find a wood splitter and/or chipper to further compliment what the unit will do. I considered a backhoe, but the price tag was too steep for the 2-4 projects that you'd ever need one for.

So, good luck with your decision. You'll probably not regret getting something new when you consider the worry-free time you'll get out of it the first 5-10 years depending on how meticulous you are.

Maybe for some, but I have 40 acres, about 13 of it woods, and I have already used my BH about 8 times. Oh, I have had the tractor about 3 weeks.:thThumbsU

WB

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow......what are you digging? Stumps? I guess that would come in handy for that.....I haven't gotten that far as to start clearing trees. I do have a 3000' ditch that I need to dig someday for TV/Phone/Internet lines....but PVC is going to set me back a good bit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
BTW Waterboy....how do you like that BH on the 2320? Well, obviously, you like it a lot.....hehehe. I love my B2320, I was just wondering about the BH setup. Is it 3pt hookup or do you have to remove the arms? Does it have its own seat or do you get a swivel? Is it easy to remove? How do you dig then move then dig? Push yourself with the bucket? Just curious because I work with a guy that has an older L and I can borrow his BH, would they be similar?

·
Registered
172 Posts
BTW Waterboy....how do you like that BH on the 2320? Well, obviously, you like it a lot.....hehehe. I love my B2320, I was just wondering about the BH setup. Is it 3pt hookup or do you have to remove the arms? Does it have its own seat or do you get a swivel? Is it easy to remove? How do you dig then move then dig? Push yourself with the bucket? Just curious because I work with a guy that has an older L and I can borrow his BH, would they be similar?
Okay, by the numbers:
1. It is not at 3 point BH, it mounts to a custom 4-point sub frame, which makes it much closer to the tractor,( hence it does not bounce up and down when you move it) and it is stronger(less leverage on the back of the tractor)So yes, you do have to remove the 3 point arms(no big deal, takes about 15 min).
2. It comes with a kit to convert the standard seat to a swivel seat.
3. It takes about 5 min to take it off.
4. You can move yourself with the bucket, but I just turn the seat around and move the tractor( doesn't take to long)
5. I am not sure if they would be similar or not, because I was told some of the older Kubota's had a little different hydraulic set-up.

Oh, by the way, the sub frame DOES NOT interfere with the MMM or the 3 point, it can stay on the tractor forever.

WB

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey, thanks for the info......good stuff to know. Especially the fact that my co-worker's BH might not work with mine and I better check before I get too far in the planning stages of any project that might hinge on using his.

My tractor may be orange, but now I'm green with envy.......

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey, thanks for the info......good stuff to know. Especially the fact that my co-worker's BH might not work with mine and I better check before I get too far in the planning stages of any project that might hinge on using his.

My tractor may be orange, but now I'm green with envy.......
I just knew that my better half would NEVER let me buy the BH later, and I am sure I wouldn't have gotten zero percent financing on it, either!

WB

·
Tractor-Hunter
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The BX23xx has just enough power (and PTO lifting capability) for a 48" brush hog. I tried the neighbor's 60" a few weeks ago, it'll run it ok, but that much weight out back causes more than a minor steering issue!! For the price and land you have, definitely go for the 23HP unit.
Wouldn't the FEL help out with that? since the FEL adds weight, and seemingly a decent amount infront of the front axle? Or are you FEL-less?

Thanks!! Just saw these posts and will be posting shortly some more thoughts. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts