My Tractor Forum banner

Conquest repairs

692 Views 31 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  CCMoe
I am new to the forum but have been very interested. I have an older Simplicity Conquest that I have about 350 hours on. I have Simplicity package 2690101 which includes a 44" deck. I also have a turbo, wheeled cart, and DR vac lawn vacuum. I use it primarily for spring and fall clean ups. I do my own maintenance, but so far that has been routine engine Maintenace.

I have had a lot of trouble with the turbo, but perhaps more on that later. I have it in my garage this winter so I can work on it. In checking the
Bumper Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Composite material

mower deck, it is clear that the spindles need help. I am about to order new spindles, washers. and some of the pulley hub pieces. I have not fully disassembled it yet. Any advice before I get too deep?

Thanks,

Allen
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
I just removed the primary spindle, and it does not show the wear that I see on the spindle that is in the picture included. However, the blade on this spindle is similarly a smaller diameter than is in the blade. It appears to me that the standard blade hole diameter is .75 which is what I have. It looks like this "slop" is intentional. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Allen
Thanks for your comments.

Yes, this is the "slop". Note that when I took the picture The bolt and washers that normally hold the blade are removed and the deck is standing vertically, not horizontally as it would be used. I used this to show how much larger the hole in the blade is over the spindle.

I have several sets of blades and they are all 3/4 inch dia hole. I have done internet searches and it appears to me that that is normal for simplicity 44" decks. When I look at the specs on new simplicity blades it shows 3/4" diameter hole in the blade.

I agree it does not look good. I thought the spindles were worn to create the slop, and was about to replace the spindles. However, all of the 3 blades/spindles have the same slop, and two show no significant signs of wear on the spindle.

Still a quandary for me. What am I missing?

Allen

Allen
Allen, I don't have a Simplicity, but if I interpret your pic and comments correctly, that blade hole is much larger than the spindle's mounting. If a bolt and washer hold it on, it will still allow for a lot of shifting around under the load of cutting grass. The wear pattern on the surface of the blade implies that is happening.

In this pic of your pic, is the "slop" you described that gap where the red arrows point? If so there is something wrong here. You might check with a couple blade manufacturer web sites, designate your model, and see what the "correct" blades look like? Most will also have specs listed that will show both the size and shape of the blade mounting hole. It is also possible that if this is a used machine, that someone used incorrect replacement spindles and blades.

View attachment 2580502
I have had a bnch of different Simplicities, but not a Conquest, but that looks like an unusual configuration for the blade to be held on.....not being concentric, it appears to be out of balance, which will cause damage to the blade and the spindle...check this site for the manual and see if it offers any help
Did you get a chance to download the manual and see if it has an explanation?
not yet. i have the tractor manual, but not the mower deck. I will get it.
Can you post a clear close up of the end of the spindle shaft without the blade? Might help to see how this all goes together. I'd think there should be a 3/4" shoulder machined into the spindle end to fill the blade hole, THEN the whole spring washer set up would make more sense. Otherwise, how on earth would anyone be able to center that larger blade on the shaft even if the spring washer were enough to hold it in place?
I will try to post pictures later. for now, I have found the manual which makes no mention of the difference in diameters between the hole in the blade and the shaft. I do have the hex and spring washers. The hex washer is flat, with nothing on one side to center the blade. The hex washer engages the hex on the shaft so it will not spin. The blade is the same size as the outside diameter of the washers, so you can center the blade in one direction by feel as you tighten it. the perpendicular direction is a guess. Once assembled and tightened, it does not appear to move. As I mentioned above, two of the spindles do not show significant signs of wear. One spindel does show wear as if the blade was twisting on it. Perhaps it was not assembled properly or tight enough at one time.
It still seems that the blade will be out of balance without something to locate it better prior to tightening.

I will try to do more pictures later, but I do not think that will help. I expect you understand what is going on with only FLAT washers and two different sizes of holes.

Allen
not yet. i have the tractor manual, but not the mower deck. I will get it.

I will try to post pictures later. for now, I have found the manual which makes no mention of the difference in diameters between the hole in the blade and the shaft. I do have the hex and spring washers. The hex washer is flat, with nothing on one side to center the blade. The hex washer engages the hex on the shaft so it will not spin. The blade is the same size as the outside diameter of the washers, so you can center the blade in one direction by feel as you tighten it. the perpendicular direction is a guess. Once assembled and tightened, it does not appear to move. As I mentioned above, two of the spindles do not show significant signs of wear. One spindel does show wear as if the blade was twisting on it. Perhaps it was not assembled properly or tight enough at one time.
It still seems that the blade will be out of balance without something to locate it better prior to tightening.

I will try to do more pictures later, but I do not think that will help. I expect you understand what is going on with only FLAT washers and two different sizes of holes.

Allen
[/QUOTE
Reactions: Alien5044
So, right now I am looking for blades that fit. Approx 16 1/4 in length and with a center hole of approx .675 inches Some Pictures:

Shoe Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Tread
Gesture Finger Thumb Automotive tire Audio equipment
Calipers Automotive tire Tire Sports equipment Motor vehicle

Attachments

Reactions: CCMoe
The mystery is solved. The joint shield under the blade should have a shoulder on it to center the blade. The shoulder was completely worn off, so much so that it was not obvious that it was ever there. In the first picture below the old shield is on the left and the new part is on the right. the next is with the shield on the arbor, and the third with the blade sitting on the assembly. Now it is centered.
Thanks for all the interest and comments.

Allen
Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Automotive wheel system Composite material
Material property Household hardware Gas Composite material Auto part
Wood Material property Natural material Gas Body jewelry
Your spindle is being ruined with the excess play, you may want to consider replacing the spindles and fastening hardware. If they were engineered with the option of this much play, they were poorly engineered IMO. If you do not want to replace the spindle and hardware, I would look for adding a spacer, bushing to fill the void, it would need to be 5/8" ID, 3/4" OD or .675 and .750. A piece of 3/4" OD tubing would probably work with an 1/8" wall thickness, cutting this on a stationary metal band saw should be doable or use a metal lathe would work. I don't think a Ridgid Pipe Cutter would work with so little material to work with.

CCMoe
1 - 7 of 7 Posts