My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Custom User Title
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched awhile, but couldn't find my answer, so...

I recently bought a new Legacy and am selling my Conquest. I had my dealer inspect my Conquest today and I noticed that he checked the hour meter by turning on the key (as we all know how to do). Then, he switched off the key, turn it back to the run position and then pulled up on the PTO switch (yellow knob). He then returned everything to off.

I wondered what he did and after he left I noticed that with the ignition on and upon pulling the PTO switch up to the on position, the hour meter read a different amount of hours. Is it safe to assume that this second reading is the amount of hours with the PTO engaged?

Thanks for any help!

Jay

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Thats interesting Jay, a plausible theory as well. Have never seen mention of this on the forums anyplace, but out of curiosity, I'm gonna check this out tommorow on my JD as well to see if does the same :). In the meantime, maybe someone in the know will be along to elaborate on this :fing32:.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think he might have done that for safty reasons because useuly you can not start the engine with the pto engaged he was probley just checking

·
Lost & Found
210 Posts
I know on my Prestige, if I engage the PTO with the key off, then turn the key to on it displays the PTO hrs.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
It says to do just that to check PTO hours in my Conquest manual. Since someone left the key on when the machine was on the dealer's floor, I have a lot more "engine" hours than PTO hours.

The Simplicity dealer around here won't take any trades. I wanted to buy a 4WD Legacy with mower, snow blower, and loader, but he wouldn't take a trade.
He lost the sale, and I am still (happily) left with my Conquest.

·
Custom User Title
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for confirming what I thought regarding checking the PTO hours!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts