My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to confirm belt size for the mower deck, I found this thread, and looked up the belt sizes using the cross reference for a J-46 (for the 446) and it tells me I need part # 23359, which is a 71 inch belt by 9.16; however, since I probably won't find 9/16, I should go for a 70 inch belt, at half inch.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=79198&highlight=belts

Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
There is quite a bit of adjustment on the drive belts so I think either one will work but I would probably go with the 71" one unless I had trouble locating it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bart, I would like to as well, seems to me the 9/16, 71 would last longer and be up to the challenge more than the smaller, 1/2 inch belt.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
As far as I know the only readily available 9/16" belts are the ones sold by Ingersoll and they last a long time but people have had pretty good luck with aftermarket belts as long as they are kevlar power transmission belts. If you get something other than that it will not last very long.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I just changed belts on one of mine recently. The one I took off was a Gates Green Kevlar power belt, 1/2 x 71. The one I put on was a PIX brand,(never heard of them before but,) that is an A section, 71 inches long, Kevlar belt. It fit much better, fills the pulley grooves better and puts the adjuster much closer to where I think it should be with a new belt: Near the end, with lots of room to tighten as it seats.

Best news: The Gates is about 26 bucks, the Pix is 15. We will just have to see how it wears.

The important thing to me was confirming that an A section is not the same as a 1/2" belt and works better for me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Do you have a source for the PIX?

I just had a Case belt picked up at the dealer - about 56 canadian.
Hope I only need one every few years at that price.

Ok, found the US website -

http://pixusa.com/index.html

Also seems they are available at TS

Would you mind sharing the part number that you found from PIX?(Last edit - I don't promise)

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts