My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 satellite JBL Creature Speakers that I'm putting on my desk near my new computer setup, A Mac mini and a 20" Apple Cinema Display.

The JBL manual states: "Although the speakers are magnetically shielded, keep magnetic storage media (disks and tapes) at least 4" from the speakers in order to avoid data loss."

Now is a hard drive shielded enough to avoid data loss from the little speaker magnet? Ideally I'd like to have one satellite on the external hard (pictured on the left) drive and one on my Mac mini (pictured on the right).

My other option is to have them on the desk flanking my system on the left and right (see 2nd pic). This is where I currently have them, but they are still close to the ext drive and the computer.

Any harm with either setup? I've got differing opinions from acquaintances on this. I wouldn't think the magnets are very big, but I wonder if they could do some damage when turned up real loud. They sound great BTW. Have a sub-woofer, too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Under normal circumstances I would think that it wouldn't be a problem and JBL is just erring on the side of caution. I've used magnetic-tip screwdrivers to install had drives many times and have not had an issue. Hard Drives have some pretty think casings, but I wouldn't rule it out.

What I would do in your case is try taking one of the satellites and place it temporarily next to or against a CRT display (make sure you test the speaker to CRT contact in all directions due to the way magnetic fields work). If you see ANY discoloration in the screen that means there is some of the mag field escaping the "shielding". If there is any, I would hesitate placing them in either config you had listed. If you see no discoloration, it would probably be safe in either config. I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I would hate to definitely say YES put it on the drive enclosure and then have you lose data. If you cannot perform the tests above or you are skittish about the speakers at all, then side with what the manual states and give them 4 inches. But I believe it was geared more towards floppies and linear tape rather than hard drive type media.

Hope this helps you AND doesn't screw anything up. :fing02:

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, for your reply, Mark. I'll experiment with them on a CRT.

The JBL's are an inexpensive great sounding 2.1 speaker setup, BTW.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*****BUMP*****

Anybody else have any thoughts on this? I tried holding the satellites next to a CRT and didn't see any distortion.

I've got such a mess of wires behind my equipment that I'm pulling everything out and breaking out the zip ties. I'd still rather have the satellite speakers on top of the computer and ext. hard drive, but it still makes me nervous.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
If you have a problem with what you are doing, I would of already had a **** of a mess!!

Go for it and quit worrying!!

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Archdean said:
If you have a problem with what you are doing, I would of already had a **** of a mess!!

Go for it and quit worrying!!

Ok I did. Cleaned up the wiring disaster too! But I'm still not satisfied with the wire routing. I have a lot of excess shoved under the little shelf on the right. I think I'm going to get a hole-saw and cut some holes in the desktop and mount something for wire management underneath, and also mount a small shelf for the power bricks. Or maybe I'll just wait until everything is wireless!

·
Alfa Twin Cam Power
1,201 Posts
I hate the wires but to go wireless is way neyond my budget. My nephew went to a monitor that has built in speakers, cordless keyboard, cordless mouse, wireless lan, dumped his external widgets and mounted what he could in PCI slots or drive bays, and he still has a tangle of wires. There's just no way to win.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts