My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a panic as I may see a snow thrower for sale and time is limited...

I haven't been able to determine if they are compatible.

Will a snowthrower stated for the model 260 tractor fit on my 312-8?

Also, are all snowthrowers for the wheel horse 312-8 single stage?

Thank you in any regard,

Hunts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Hunts,

No, snowthrowers from the 200 series are not compatible with the 300 series because of the vertical PTO of the 200 versus the horizontal PTO of the 300. You could buy the snowblower and then change the mounting and pulley hardware to make it fit but it is not directly compatible.

Wheelhorse/Toro has a 2-stage blower that will mount to your 312-8, it's just a matter of how hard you want to work that 12hp motor. Hopefully someone else can tell you definitively, but I'm pretty sure the 2-stage blowers were meant for 14hp and up and the single stage ones were for all.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
No - the 260-Series use a verticle crankshaft engine so the pto is under the tractor. There is a 2-stage snowthrower for the 300-Series but it is very heavy and not near as common as the single-stage.

You can get to an attachment list here
https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro
Enter your tractor's long model number and the next page has a link to the list. There are other models that will fit also but the list is what was available at the time and later.

Garry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much guys for the timely answers you have put me at rest on both topics.

Really. Thank you.

:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well while we are at it, what opinions are out there as to whether I should bother with a snow thrower as opposed to a snow blade?

You opinions solicited.

Hunts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I could probably give you a better answer in about 6 months. Last year I plowed my ~80 ft gravel driveway with my blade and it worked very well. I was really impressed with how much snow I could move. The only real issue was that near the end of the season I ran out of places to put the snow. In July I bought a single stage blower but of course haven't had the chance to try it out yet. My plan, as suggested by gwest_ca I think, is to start out using the blade which will make a nice hard-packed base, and then switch to the blower later on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well while we are at it, what opinions are out there as to whether I should bother with a snow thrower as opposed to a snow blade?

You opinions solicited.

Hunts
Here's a thread from last winter with pics of my 414-8 pushing snow. As you can see, it worked well. It only got stuck once the whole winter when I was trying to push a full blade's worth of horrible soaking wet slush. Even then, I just got my friend to stand on the drawbar and the added weight solved the problem.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=108435

I guess it's officially that time of year: time to start thinking about tuning up the snow toys! I'll post pics this weekend of the blower I picked up in July.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts