My Tractor Forum banner

Compact Utility Tractors Ballast Calculator

24K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  PA318Guy 
#1 ·
for the latest John Deere “Compact Utility Tractors Ballast Calculator.” This document has ballast info on CUT tractors from 2305 to 4720 and is an interactive spreadsheet which also includes “Attachment Compatibility” and links to “Operator Manuals.” Thanks to saskman49 for the research and slkpk for the “sticky” idea.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've tried to open this file from the Deere website and from both threads on here. I keep getting a message saying it is password protected, and to open it with the program that created it and save it in another format. I think my problem is that I use Microsoft Works, and the file was created with Excel.

#4 ·
Thanks for the idea saskman49. I tried it, but for some reason it did not work for me. I wound up going to CNET's download.com and downloaded a program called Open Office. It is much like Works with a word processor, spreadsheet, etc. Using that program I am able to open the Ballast calculator. Anyone who uses Excel, Word or Works sort of programs would probably like Open Office. The best part is, it is FREE.

#5 ·
ya-ya,

Thanks for making this a sticky! :)

#6 ·
Interesting, the way this works. Let's take the model 3005. The specs (on the Deere website) for the tractor show a front axle capacity of 1,343 pounds. The calculator shows a front axle weight of 1,911 pounds with an empty loader. This means with a load of maybe 600 lbs. in the loader you are now over the front axle capacity by almost 1,200 lbs.

Now, on the calculator, it shows that with a rear box blade that you have enough ballast. Or rather, the line in red at the bottom, stating the tractor requires ballasting disappears. That box blade can only weigh a few hundred pounds. Shouldn't the "needs ballasting" warning still be there?

Am I reading the calculator wrong? What am I missing here? Gotta be something I'm overlooking.

I got similar results using different tractor models, and using the website listed front axle capacity.

#8 ·
Interesting, the way this works. Let's take the model 3005. The specs (on the Deere website) for the tractor show a front axle capacity of 1,343 pounds. The calculator shows a front axle weight of 1,911 pounds with an empty loader. This means with a load of maybe 600 lbs. in the loader you are now over the front axle capacity by almost 1,200 lbs.

Am I reading the calculator wrong? What am I missing here? Gotta be something I'm overlooking.

I got similar results using different tractor models, and using the website listed front axle capacity.
tom i never understood those specs either. My 27hp simplicity "garden tractor" front axle is around 1400lbs too... now listen to this.

Tractor weighs roughly 1200 EMPTY, add me at say 175lbs
Add the loader and bucket is 550ish
Add 500lbs in the bucket, what its capable of lifting up easily

Thats a total of 2425lbs... if i lifted 500lbs without at least 300-400lbs of weight on the back 3pt hitch, it will straight out lift the rear off the ground... thats easily 1k over what they say its rated at.

Add the weight box on back, which is a SOB heavy and hard to attach, guessing in the range of 400-500lbs easy, and now you finally feel somewhat well balanced with a 3/4 loader load.. maybe 400ish lbs?

My 4720 deere can "lift" 2700lbs so they say. It barely, and i mean barely lifts 2700lbs pallets of salt up that we move sometimes.

Tractor is 7400ish with me in it, then add the fork attachment on front is 450lbs about and then the weight of 2700lbs is FAR forward of the pivot points, upto 42" away... with the full extension weight box on back filled to the brim with concrete it still tetters my 4720 cab with two 110lb wheel weights on the back.

Thats about 10,500lbs on the front two wheels? im sure the axle rating is like 4-5k at max.

#7 ·
wow thats neat.. says my 4720 cab with full box of concrete w/ extension "guessing is the 1210lb verison" is 7400lbs with a 190lb operator.

Add on my rear top/tilt hydraulics and hoses, scv lines, radio, heavier buckets and full tank of fuel and im sure it hits 7600-7800 easy. I think the heavier duty deere worksite pro skid buckets are around 500-700lbs and the quick tach paddles on the front add about 50+ lbs too. No wonder my little 7k open 18' trailer was almost ready to bust when i loaded er up one night haha.

#10 ·
That is a correct weight in the specs from Tom White's original post. Notice at the bottom in red.......rear ballast recommended. Now you have to take into account the tractors rear axle capacity and figure how heavy of a rear weight,(preferably the ballast box) you will need to get the weight of the front axle within its limits with a maximum weight bucket load.
Does this make sense?:)

#11 ·
This Link Still Don't WORK!
:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.