My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some questions I hear all the time..online, in person, over the phone...

My push mower rips the rope out of my hands when i pull it....

--Your flywheel key is sheared, replace it, and check the blade.

My briggs starter is turning backwards, it sucks the gear down??

--Your battery is hooked up backwards

My Briggs OHV,Kohler Courage, Tecumseh OHV engine turns over hard, like it has a weak battery, but its not the battery...engine is over a year old.

--Your valve lash needs to be reset to activate the compression release.

Mower wont turnover, none of the lights work, its all dead..battery is good.

-- Most likely cause of sudden loss of everything is a blown fuse.

My generator runs wide open as soon as it cranks...

-- Usually a generator sits for a while and varnish builds up on the throttle shaft, and it stocks, ensure the throttle moves from idle to full throttle smoothly.

My engine was working fine, now runs full tilt.

--Assuming the governor gear isnt broken, and nothing has jammed the linkages up...the most common cause us a slipped governor lever. Simply find the governor shaft and lever, loosen the pinch bolt. move the lever from idle to full throttle and note shich direction that motion turns the governor shaft in the block. Now hold the governor arm full throttle, and using a pliers, turn the shaft in the direction of full throttle until it stops. without moving anything, tighten the pinch bolt.

My Kohler Command is noisy, alot of mechanical chatter.

--Change oil, add 10w30, run for 20 minutes at full throttle..if that does not fix it, add an ounce of sea foam to the oil, run full throttle for 10-15 minutes, change oil, add clean and fresh 10w30....this will get the lifters pumped back up 90% of the time. If they are still clacking...they may be defective or damaged.

Ill add more later...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Great tips Red, it's great having guy's like you and Walt 2002 to help so many people fix there engines etc! I read these post and learn a lot also, thanks!

GS

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My brushless generator runs great, but it makes no power.

--Common problem after a long sit, you have to excite the stator. Easiest way is to plug in a power drill, run the generator. Put the Drill in FORWARD...hold the trigger and spin the chuck in reverse...this actually sends a little but of power back through the plug and will typically excite the stator and capacitor...be warned the drill will usually take off in forward so dont grab the chuck too hard.

My homeowner grade 2 cycle trimmer/blower/saw/hedger starts a little hard, and idles pretty good but when I go wide open it falls on its face, if I choke it some it runs good, my needles are smooth stubs..I cant turn them.

--Take a small electrical butt connector, slide it over the needle you want to adjust (low speed is nearest the engine, high speed is nearest the air filter) and turn it out 1/2 turn.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Briggs single cylinder intek starts good, runs great but as soon as I put it in gear and try to move, or try to turn on the blades it loses RPMS and dies....The tell-tale is the exhaust note is flat.

--Common problem, one of both camshaft lobes are wiped clean and one of the valves is getting inadequte lift, the fix is a new camshaft.

On my rider, I can crank it, but if I let the clutch out the engine instantly loses spark/shuts off, even before it tries to move...literally as soon as the pedal comes off its fully depressed stop..the engine dies...also if If even start to move the PTO lever, the engine shuts off.

-- The mower is under the impression that there is no one on the seat...thus when the clutch switch is released, it dies. Or when the PTO is moved to engage.it shuts off. Make sure the seat switch is plugged in, replace is required.

·
Super Moderator
33,751 Posts
Red, always great to read your threads and see all the help you give the members. BTW nice "Stang!"

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Great tips Red, it's great having guy's like you and Walt 2002 to help so many people fix there engines etc! I read these post and learn a lot also, thanks!

GS
So true, I read both Walt's and Red's posts all the time. Always learning from the two of them.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,885 Posts
Good stuff Red, thanks!

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Kohler Courage single cyl engine knocks, it started right after I got it...now its leaking oil everywhere.

--Early Kohler Courage singles had a few issues, one of which was the bolts that hold the engine top cover to the block coming loose and letting the cover move around and hammer on the guide pins, eventually the crank comes out of alignment, and it throws the rod, or breaks the balancer, flywheel hits the coil...something will break. Sometimes you can tighten the bolts down and buy time, but usually the holes are hammered out.

My Intek V-twin/ELS engine is smoking.

--If you have an intek with the flat panel filter, regardless of if it has lid that snaps on, has 2 screws, 4 screws...the filters bypass dirt and sadly, the rings rapidly wear out. The fix, is new rings. Let it go too long and you will be replacing the engine..they run about 950.00

My Modern engine, be it a Kohler Command, Intek, Vanguard, Courage, Honda V-twin, suddenly wont start. If I choke it, it tries to start..sometimes it will start and run for just a second. If I put gas in the carb manually, it cranks and dies.

--You likely have an anti-diesel solenoid under the carb bowl, its purpose is to keep the engine from running on, or backfiring, when the key is shut off. The Solenoid gets 12v when the key is on. If the solenoid is stuck in the closed position, it will prevent fuel from being drawn into the engine. Remove it, make sure its freed up, if it is..and you can confirm its getting power...replace it, if thats not an option, use a pair of side cutters to snip off the sliding pin...be warned it may cause backfires.

My Briggs Opposed Twin starts kinda hard, it turns over slow, has a good starter and battery though.

--Its normal for these engines to build up alot of carbon on thr pistons and on the heads, Briggs reccommends removing the heads and using a plastic putty knife to scrape off the carbon..this lowers the compression ratio down to where it needs to be, and is normal.

My pressure washer crank right up, but when I squeeze the wand the pressure coming out doesnt change from when the engine is on or off.

--Pressure washers have spring loaded "unloader valves" that put the pump into a bypass mode when the wand is released, this facilitates recoil starting and keeps you from blowing your hose apart. If the unloader sticks open, your pump is stuck in bypass. The pump will usually need to be disassembled to try and free up the unloader, however corroded bolts and parts typically snap off, sadly an unloader problem is often the end of the line for a pump.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Red, always great to read your threads and see all the help you give the members. BTW nice "Stang!"
Thanks man, Im hoping to have a new stablemate next to her soon...Hoping to trade my Jeep ZJ for a 96 K3500 Sierra...:greendr:

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
If it's a diesel, make sure the PMD has been relocated.. Otherwise the 454's run great in those, but they do like gas.

BTW, I'm guilty of the starter turning backwards.. If only they put the terminals on all lawnmower batteries on the same side

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mr Red , thank you for the great information.:thanku:

I like your Mustang. It looks sharp.

I have a couple at present, have had many over the years.

Nothin like a Mustang.:fing32:

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it's a diesel, make sure the PMD has been relocated.. Otherwise the 454's run great in those, but they do like gas.

BTW, I'm guilty of the starter turning backwards.. If only they put the terminals on all lawnmower batteries on the same side
Its the Vortec 7400 (454).

8-11mpg on a good day with a strong tail wind, downhill, idling, in neutral.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Red is always helping with his timely and expert advice. He quickly solves problems most of us would ponder for days. He is not a parts changer but a true technician. He not only solves problems but takes the time to explain the cause and how to prevent it from occurring again.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, it means alot.

I just took one of my rear tires off my AYP/Craftsman/Husqvarna/Poulan riding LT.. for a new tube, but now it wont move, it goes into gear but its not trying to move.

--The rear wheels are locked to the tires with 3/16" keys...one per wheel. Odds are it fell out, find it, slip it in..good to go.

My MTD/Cub Cadet/Troy Bilt/ made in the last 12 or so years has alot of steering play and sometimes it skips when I turn it.

--Remove the deck, look up under the frame and look for the bottom of the steering shaft, remove the bolt on the end and drop the gear off, if its worn, replace it. If not ,reuse it. Now there will be a bushing in the frame, either plastic of pot metal, the outside of it is a hex shape that locks to the frame, inside is round. Push it up, fish it out from the top of the frame, slide the new one in, put some grease on it, put it back together...like new again, takes about 20 minutes tops.

My Toro Personal pace...doesnt keep up...it cuts good but I find myself pushing it alot.

--First things first, look on the handle where the cable conduit attaches..loosen the 7/16" bolt and slide the conduit DOWN about an inch...not tighten the bolt and retry. If still nothing, put on a new belt, and adjust the conduit length until it pulls correctly.

My Troy bilt/Toro front drive self propelled mower is making a grinding noise and doesnt pull when I try to self propel.

--Your gearbox up front is shot, it uses a single bearing which comes out of alignment and strips the gears...the gearbox assembly is replaced as a unit, takes about an hour the first time..there are a few shims and clips on both axels...not which order they come off in, also order new axel bearings, they dont come with the tranny and they always are bad.

I took my Echo hedge clipper gearbox apart to clean it out, now the blades vibrate and it cuts poorly.

--The blades are timed. Take it back apart, move the bottom arm until the lobe is all the way forward and lock it onto the blade, now move the other blade all the way back, and install the top gear when its lobe is all the way to the back..make sure its all snapped into place, and stuff some Echo-Lube in there, and put the cover back on.

Should I use the brush blades that have 3 or 4 hard plastic knives on the head that swivel?

--If one of them came off and your children were playing 100 feet away, would you feel safe? Probably not. They rarely fail but no one wants to be around when they do. Try some .155 heavy duty line on a quick change head, or a nice steel blade with the proper guards.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Very nice of you to do this Red, you've been quite a great help to our members and it is much appreciated :fing32:.

Good information here, so we are making this a sticky :rauch10:.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
awesome, always glad to help out!

here are some more.

My 2 cycle trimmer starts right up but when I give it gas it tries to rev up but just floods out, Ive rebuilt the carb but it never changes.

--Modern 2 cycle engines have a spark arrester in, or on the muffler. Its a screen , either tubular or panel style that catches carbon chunks that may or may not be smoldering that build up in the muffler, it holds them and eventually they dry up, or burn out. However, old fuel, too much oil, too rich a mixture, as well as excessive idling/part throttle use, can make carbon and unburned fuel/oil build up on the screen, remove it, soak it in carb cleaner, run a wire brush over it...get it back clean and put it back in. Another sign is the muffler and area around the muffler usually will be covered in oil..expect alot of smoking as well.

My Kohler K/M engine, Kohler Command single or twin, Briggs V-twin or single, with either a mechanical or crankcase pulse operate fuel pump keeps getting gas in the oil. Its not flooding, and after an oil change it takes a few minutes of running to show up...How is this possible, it runs fine?

--Your fuel pump has a pin hole in the diaphragm, most are not serviceable, replace it, change the oil and filter. This only applies if the carb is NOT flooding.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts

--Common problem after a long sit, you have to excite the stator. Easiest way is to plug in a power drill, run the generator. Put the Drill in FORWARD...hold the trigger and spin the chuck in reverse...this actually sends a little but of power back through the plug and will typically excite the stator and capacitor...be warned the drill will usually take off in forward so dont grab the chuck too hard.

QUOTE]

It's easyer to just touch the side of the genset with a strong magnet when running.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

QUOTE]

It's easyer to just touch the side of the genset with a strong magnet when running.
Ive tried that with a few different magnets, also tried the one where you put 12v into 2 of the plug ins, only had luck with the drill method.

But honestly, it only takes about 15 seconds from starting the engine to shutting it off, fixed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.