My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking for months and found a lot of useful info but I really have to ask a question. I assume that like myself many of you are commercial cutters on this forum. I have and use lawnboys commercially at about 100 lawns per week. I currently have a business in Portland but I used to live and cut in Pittsburgh PA. I saw this thread http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=88468 and couldn't believe how this forum thought that the mower was overpriced. I know I live across the country but I use these and would pay $500 for this mower with a new bagger, new coil, and electric start(which it came with). I tried to get them to ship it to me but to no avail. I thought I must be missing something until I came across this post http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=89094 to which everyone thinks is a good deal? I don't know a single commercial cutter in any hilly area(PA) who would want a push mower let alone one that is 20+ years old. So my question is, Is this mower a good deal because it is rare? Because no commercial cutter in any area with a hill would be caught dead with that on their trailer. Excuse me if this comes off as rude but I am just confused I guess. :thanku:

·
Administrator
21,222 Posts
Welcome, Vermeerguy. Glad you joined in. Lots of good, friendly folks here, always up for a walkbehind discussion.

The first link you posted has been deleted and is no longer viewable. I personally would not pay the $175 for the older commercial, but some fellows would. A lot would depend on the intended usage and shape of the mower.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I was speaking from a collector's standpoint. I already own several 3 speed f engine lawnboys so that's my point of reference in valuing the push mower more. As far as mowing commercially goes, I would pick that three speed every time over that big heavy tank.

If I were mowing commercially, I would put my spare fuel tank & other commercial parts on one of my 10515's and run that all day long.

-Dave

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Been lurking for months and found a lot of useful info but I really have to ask a question. I assume that like myself many of you are commercial cutters on this forum. I have and use lawnboys commercially at about 100 lawns per week. I currently have a business in Portland but I used to live and cut in Pittsburgh PA. I saw this thread http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=88468 and couldn't believe how this forum thought that the mower was overpriced. I know I live across the country but I use these and would pay $500 for this mower with a new bagger, new coil, and electric start(which it came with). I tried to get them to ship it to me but to no avail. I thought I must be missing something until I came across this post http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=89094 to which everyone thinks is a good deal? I don't know a single commercial cutter in any hilly area(PA) who would want a push mower let alone one that is 20+ years old. So my question is, Is this mower a good deal because it is rare? Because no commercial cutter in any area with a hill would be caught dead with that on their trailer. Excuse me if this comes off as rude but I am just confused I guess. :thanku:

The fist one (10515) makes a heluva commercial mower but that second one I wouldn't touch it with a twenty foot pole for commercial duty (or otherwise for that matter). I guess its just preference.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
most here are collectors -very few comm mowing people here but i am one and do use lawnboys from time to time for certain jobs(mostly over grown lawns that nothing else will cut)my dealer thinks im nuts as i am the ONLY comm cutter using lawnboys amoung his 100+ comm customers.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
The 3 speed mowers are great. 10515 is a great mower, and for everyday use it is a good choice. I personally mow my lawn, and that is it. I prefer a push mower because I don't have a big yard and I also like finding the rare "not so average" lawn-boys. So for me, since I have a 10518 already and a 10547 (both 3 speeds, one f engine one duraforce), I'd rather have that orange tanked beast in the second thread.

I'm sure you'll be able to find someone here willing to part with a 3 speed mower.

:MTF_wel2: :Welcome1: :bananapow

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I would go with a sp in a hilly area. I have a 6211 and it's not terrible to use but still long. I prefer 3 speeds over the single speed.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I thought I must be missing something until I came across this post http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=89094 to which everyone thinks is a good deal? I don't know a single commercial cutter in any hilly area(PA) who would want a push mower let alone one that is 20+ years old. So my question is, Is this mower a good deal because it is rare? Because no commercial cutter in any area with a hill would be caught dead with that on their trailer. Excuse me if this comes off as rude but I am just confused I guess. :thanku:
:Welcome1: I am the one who asked about that and who bought it. I actually got it for $150. Sure, this area is hilly in some places not in all. I am a commercial cutter and I like it. It is a good deal because it was only made 1 year, 1989 and is a true commercial in many people's opinions. It is tough too, as well as very reliable. And, I prefer push over self-propel. As you would pay $500 for that Gold Series, I would pay $200 for this commercial, I just got a good deal. Maby I am taking this the wrong way, but we all have opinions I guess. On the other hand, stick around, you'll love it here, lots of great people and forums here, unfortunately, I might not be one of those "great people" here to you because of my rant on this post.:sorry1:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Another plug for a 10515 here. I don't mow commercially but I have a very steep slope in my front yard. The 10515 handles it like a tank! I also have a 22241, which is very similar. Both machines seem very solid and do an excellent job.

Having said that, I love my 22240 pushmower, and I have a 6461 that I am restoring. When it comes time to mow the back yard, or for that matter when it's time to mow the front yard "across the slope", I still love a good commercial push Lawnboy with bearing wheels. They are great mowers. I probably use a push on my lawn 25% of the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't trying to be rude, I just assumed many here were commercial cutters. I never realized that people collected these mowers. :fing20: I couldn't imagine my guys having to push a mower on 20 yards a day. I think they would find work with a company that offered self propelled mowers. Thanks for the welcomes and I look forward to learning from the forum.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
yes its hard to believe but people actually collect these mowers-and rabidly! esp here. there is a site just for comm cutters if you want to know what it is-pm me and i will disclose it

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
yes its hard to believe but people actually collect these mowers-and rabidly! esp here. there is a site just for comm cutters if you want to know what it is-pm me and i will disclose it
You treat your 22241 like a collectible, don't you? If not, I'll ship you two 10515's for it!

-Dave

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I wasn't trying to be rude, I just assumed many here were commercial cutters. I never realized that people collected these mowers. :fing20: I couldn't imagine my guys having to push a mower on 20 yards a day. I think they would find work with a company that offered self propelled mowers. Thanks for the welcomes and I look forward to learning from the forum.
Sorry, I took it the wrong way. Thats fine. What all Lawn-Boy's do you use?

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
dave-you kill me! still after my 22241! actually i havnt used it at all this season. using a 22261 and a 10515 for just the really overgrown lawns i have to face from time to time.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
dave-you kill me! still after my 22241! actually i havnt used it at all this season. using a 22261 and a 10515 for just the really overgrown lawns i have to face from time to time.
I'd buy any 22241 I can get my hands on! Glad you were amused...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mainly mow with L/B 10546's and I have 5-6 22261's in the fleet. Been looking for a new mower to replace the older F machines but have found not a single commercial machine under 100lbs. Who are all these bodybuilders cutting grass? Thanks again for the welcome. I rarely post anything I just like to view and get ideas on how to keep my machines running.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
big mistake to disclose you have 6 22261,s! you will be hounded to death and they may plan your demise and make it look loke an accident/natural causes and get your widow to sell them

1 - 17 of 17 Posts