My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I posted earlier about a Commercial Lawn Boy, I bought off an ad on Craigslist now when I bought I started it up and ran it. It ran fine and it is self propelled that work like it should. I get it home and I`m going to show my wife what a great deal I got.

I push the primer bulb on the handle bar and it stays pushed in. Now I can`t get the motor to start no matter how many time I pull the starter rope. What gives with the bulb staying in like that. I need to prove that it in fact does run, it like there is a vacuum holding it in?

It really is a nice Lawn Boy commercial mower just needs some TLC. I`ll take pictures after I get it cleaned up, and running again.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Did you tip the mower up to the rear? You said the primer bulb stuck. I wonder if fuel ran up into the primer line? I've read that tipping them that way with those remote primers can cause problems, either the primer then won't work right or it will cause the carb to run rich. You may pull the primer line off the carb and see if anything drains out and the bulb pops back out, or it may just need a new primer bulb...

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK I`ll try pulling off that line from the carb. and see what happens. No not backwards I did tip it over on its right side to check the under side of the mower deck, but there wasn't any gas in the mower at that time. It was loaded with rotting grass clipping, owner said they mulched with it but didn't have the mulch plug. But I did that at his place and started the mower a short time later after I found some gas. Dumped what little gas I found in a trimmer I carry in my trucks across bed tool box, trimmer has a split boom.

I guess parts tree dot com, looks like a good place to get a new prime bulb. there are few other web sites I buy from, I`ll check them too. It`s raining now so I get the day off, the grass needs the rain, just hope it rains all day and we get a good soaking. Any Idea were I can get a owner manual, I need to get the model # off the mower. It looks just like the mower that LawnboyKS has for his avatar, only difference mine is self propelled. I guess that is a 6211?

The starter cord looks like it needs replacing getting a little fuzzy in spots. When I started it, it started on first pull, thats a good sign, almost no smoke. All the wheels are tight and don`t wobble, grease fitting on the fronts. The mower doesn't rattle, handle bar has nice chrome finish, no rust, the mower feels nice and solid, not a light weight mower, but rolls easy. I think I did good for $35.00 I wasn't going to haggle on the price, mower is worth 3 times what i paid, maybe more with a bag.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Check ebay for a primer bulb, or even on here... Partstree probably wants (just a guess) $6.00 for ONE and then $10.50 in shipping... Great place, but certinaly out there on prices and shipping for little stuff.

My theory of the fuel getting into the primer line was just from what I've read. I've not had it happen on mine. Like you said though, surely it's something simple since it ran so good before.

You have a model 8453. The 6211 is it's push brother.

Also, if you have any intrest I have an extra mulch plug/plate and side discharge chute that fit all the 4 square models. I don't need 3 of each laying around! shoot me a PM if you would want them. (the mulch plug was boxed up already, I could do $20 shipped. The discharge chute would take a bigger box...)

Keep an eye on ebay, bags do come up, thats where I scored mine. though it's not the totally correct "industrial" catcher that's supposed to be on the commercial models, it still fits and functions properly.

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the model #. I got a discharge chute from the owner he just didn't use it, very messy under the deck. Yeah I`ll PM you about the mulch plug. I got the owner manual on line for the bag. I need the wire support for the bag it doesn't come with one, if I decide to bag with it. Some of the suppliers don`t show a bag or support in there list of parts. mine according to one source was made in 1985 looks pretty good for a 25 years old mower. What the oil mix ratio? Right now its got 50 to 1 in it. last time I owned a Lawn Boy was when I was in my late teens that a few years ago.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
u can get primer bulbs on e-bay for aroud $3.50 shipped. Parts tree is definitley way high on their shipping unless u are ordering alot of parts.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Thanks for the model #. I got a discharge chute from the owner he just didn't use it, very messy under the deck. Yeah I`ll PM you about the mulch plug. I got the owner manual on line for the bag. I need the wire support for the bag it doesn't come with one, if I decide to bag with it. Some of the suppliers don`t show a bag or support in there list of parts. mine according to one source was made in 1985 looks pretty good for a 25 years old mower. What the oil mix ratio? Right now its got 50 to 1 in it. last time I owned a Lawn Boy was when I was in my late teens that a few years ago.
32:1 would be the correct ratio. Lawn boys built before 1970 were all 16:1, all are now 32:1 up to the last 2 strokes built in the early 2000's

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK thanks need to set up another gas can with 32 to 1. I only have a small amount in the tank right now. I went out this morning and tried to start the mower. The bulb was up and I looked at the mower deck after trying to start it and it was wet. So it must have a flooding problem, the foam filter was soaked with fuel.

Pulled the cord, it after removing the filter and cover. The puppy started right up, I ran it until it cleared up, then went washed out the filter the filter cover, put that back on a tried again no problem started right up first pull. Ran it until it shut off after closing the valve under the tank. Waited a while then gave it a bath mostly under side of deck, loaded with grass clipping.

I went to Lawn Boys website and went to the manual page entered the model #8453 and it was strange when the info. said this has a 5 speed transmission & a 20" mower deck. I then when and down loaded the manual it was for a different mower that listed Suburban mower models 6230, 6430, 8430 & 8480. I double checked to make sure I entered the right model #8453 and the same one can up again. Any tips on how to get the right manual to come up. I can go to the service manual that Lawn boy has and down load the manual for the correct engine series I just don`t know which one at this link.

https://lookup3.toro.com/ttcGateway/acrobat/manuals/lball.html

Thanks for any info. and help.

Ray

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Techincally you do have a 5 speed trans, look in that manual for speed adjustment procedures. It involves taking a screw out that holds the plastic trans pulley together, then moving those metal "washer" spacers either under or above the pulley. The more spacers = the faster it goes.

My service manual for my suburban also has other models in it, even staggered wheel models. I guess they are universial for some parts so they just recycled the pics/information from other manuals? Though some of it in mine does not pertain to my suburban at all. Kinda odd since that's the model the manual says it's for. So you aren't alone in the confusion there!

Sounds like the needle and seat are leaking a little. Once the air filter gets wet with fuel it no longer lets air through it very well. That's why it wouldn't start... I make a habit of always turning the fuel valve OFF on all my 'boys when I'm done with them. No need to take the risk of having one decide to puke on the deck and floor!

As for the fuel mix, well that's a debated topic, everywhere... 32:1 is fine if you are using lawn boy oil, but the "newer" mixes like opti-2, amsoil sabre, and similar really shouldn't be mixed that heavy. Other memebers, as well as me have ran 100:1 opti-2 and Amsoil with no adverse effects. If you are leary about them mix them at 80:1, but they are more concentrated I believe, and much more than that you may end up with oil build up and some smoking...

I ran about 1/2 a tank of 32:1 LB mix through my 8237 one day, ran it out of fuel. Refueled with 100:1 opti and I noticed it was actually smoking a little with the opti, where it was not with the LB oil mixed much richer. Engine didn't seem to run/act any different on either fuel... Just my 2 cents.

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the answer on the manual. I though it was very strange that a big company like Lawn Boy would make a big mistake and list the wrong manual, very confusing. I was just going to use the 2 cycle oil I use in my trimmer, it`s a Husqvarna at 32 to 1. I`ve used it for years my old 322L lasted me 9 years before it broke, and it wasn't the motor, the gear head just let go. I lubed it ever season. Want almost half of what I paid for it for the parts. Now it`s just for part. I have two more of there trimmers.

Back on topic. When I brought it home I thought I had shut the fuel off it has a long way to go to shut that valve off, I think I was almost there, so it just leaked by, at least it was a bad thing like on a 4 cycle it would have thinned the oil out. I did shut it after washing it and let it run until it died, so it shut off now. I noticed it did smoke a little after the wash job. Now the carb. is made out of plastic of some kind? I noticed the float bowl is held on by screws. Did any of the Lawn Boys ever have a problem with the float leaking?

The transmission is white plastic, the speed its set at right now is fine for me not to fast or to slow. I made two passes while it was running set a little to low for me. I cut most of the time at 3" to 3-1/2", longer when really hot out. It not going to work unless the Honda breaks down, it staying home. I still have the Toro, I need to fix that shifter. OK, thanks again.

I just hope I`m not a PITA with all these questions.
Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts