My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an 8453 tonight, it came with all its original accessories. Its got some features that I've not seen before. Heavy duty exoskeleton bag, hub nut rear wheel. Its lighter than an M. I purchased it from a friend and original owner, it was purchased new in 1983 for just shy of $900. I also got some spare parts, reciepts, manual, and a service manual. He claim it will make leaves disappear. He also threw in this old mulcher, Its probly a decent old mower, I don't know what I'll do with it yet.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
I never saw a bag like that before. That yellow mower makes me laugh... "Mulcher" Did they have one that said "Bagger" on it?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I had one of those bags. Some guy on ebay paid me $150 for it when I had it and my 6211 listed as local pickup only. When I told him I wouldn't ship the mower, he said "just send the bag, keep the mower"... I was dumbfounded...

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
We have one just like it! Has the disc drive trans where the speed is determined by how deep the drive belt rides on the pulley. Up to five different speeds determined by how many discs are inserted between the pulley halves. I always felt this was one of the rarer commercial models because it was made and sold during the manufacturing transition from Lawnboy to Toro.

Nice find. Check the ratchets at the inside drive gear of the rear wheels. The zerk fitting only lubes the axle bolt not the ratchets or the drive cog. Uses M series drive wheels or vice versa. Ours has the tread pattern tires rather than the smooth style on the red commercial wheels. When pushing the mower forward with the engine off you should be able to hear the ratchets clicking at the rear wheels. While pulling the mower back toward you with the engine off, the drive grabs a little. I changed out the old grease which helped smooth out the backing issue. If you decide to service the ratchets, do one side at a time because they are different.

Best wishes,
Bob

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I forgot to mention that I like the mower. Nice find.

-Dave

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I started it this morning to discover that it has NO power what so ever. It doesn't appear to have a speed setting on the carb. It sounds plugged up. The PO just finished cleaning the ports and muffler. He's a good friend but I feel that he may not have got it all out. He told me he mowed with it last week but it would not go through 1" of wet grass this morning.

Also the left side drive wheel is basically doing nothing. I hope its not a problem with the wheel itself I'd hate to have to find one of these wheels. I have a complete parts machine.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
My 6211 seems to run a bit slower than my other lbs, and also has no speed selector on it. I don't think the 8480 I just got has a speed selector either.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
My 6211 seems to run a bit slower than my other lbs, and also has no speed selector on it. I don't think the 8480 I just got has a speed selector either.
Bob,
The speed selector is a plastic lever on the back side of the engine just below the shroud.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Sweet!! I love those old Briggs engines with the flattop recoil. I wish they would bring them back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts