My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
WHile I don't disagree, but there is a difference between tractors and cruises. You can spend thousands for each but with the cruise the only thing you have to show for the money is some pictures and memories. The tractor will be there to use and enjoy for many years to come.
You always go for the tractor! Unless the Gravely mow-in next year is going to be on the Love boat. Imagine it, the parade of power going around the ship on the top deck! :trink40:

- Kris :rauch10:

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Call me a pessimist but with my luck, there would be triple hurricane and the Captain would order my tractors to be dumped overboard.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
GM1276 is dead on the money!! You guys are chasing your tails!! kEEP IT SIMPLE AND KEEP THEM RUNNING!! For the money and time you guys are spending i could have had went around the globe on a cruise!
I certainly wouldn't characterize the different thoughts/ideas on transmission repair as "tail chasing." (For me, that always meant something else - ha!). I really enjoy reading threads such as this, where a variety of perspectives come out as to causes of damage and repair remedies available. To each their own on courses of action - whether a guy wants to purchase brand new planetaries from Gravely or buy a set off Flea-Bay. Pleases me just to see that guys are doing SOMETHING with these tractors! :fing32::fing32:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
OIL REPORT!! I counted out 6.5 quarts of oil in the oil pan but I just remembered that he drained the engine as well. How does that add up?

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
If the engine was full, subtract 2 quarts.

So that means there was 4.5 quarts in the transmission or in other words he was low by 1/2 quart. So much for my theory.

Did the oil look like metal flake paint?

I am starting to wonder if something cracked and that would place everything in a bind and start grinding.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The oil just looked used, dark, thick, but it was a bit lumpy at the end of the pour off. It did not look like metal flake paint. Haven't torn the rest of it down yet. Will report when I do.

Nate

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Hmmm...No metal in the oil? That is not what I expected.

I have yet another theory but will withhold it until the condition of the direction planetary is confirmed.

Being dark is likely due to the engine oil being mixed with the transmission oil since both were drained at the same time.

Lumpy could be contaminants like water for example.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Easy repair job. You guys are already halfway done. Few things to note. When you pull the planetary, check the bottom of the transmission casing for gunk/metal, etc. I've yet to see a walk-behind in any condition that didn't have at least some accumulation at the bottom. You can check the fwd/rev planetaries if you like, but I wouldn't recommend it as if they fail, it is a half hour job to replace them and why go through the hassle now? They will likely continue to work and are much cheaper to replace than hi/lows, as fwd/reverse from an old L will work just fine and they are plentiful all over Ebay.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Any word on the other planetary?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Not yet. We would have done it this weekend but my neighbor had a family committment. We did however get a good offer on parts from a forum member! Long live MTF!

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I send some pictures of the planetary to Jamie at Richard's. He told me it was the worst one he has seen. His father said that failure to engage the hi-lo and operating the tractor is one way to tear up a planetary. Low oil is another. He said that the lack of metal particles suspended in the oil is quite odd.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
LOL. Worst he's ever seen? Did you look at Mark's Pro 12 picture from earlier in the thread?!
Richard nor Jamie look at this forum. We are privileged.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Gentlemen the report is IN! The forward reverse planetaries and ring gears are in good order! The differential feels fine, we didn't feel like taking the sides off the worm gear so we left that in tact. The worm itself is also fine. There is a lot of metal sludge in the bottom of the case as we all expected. The parts should be here this week and then we will get to work putting this thing back together! Enjoy the pics!

Nate

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Is it a artifact of do I see water damage on the diff bearings? They look bad to me.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts