My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
MTF New Poster
2,157 Posts
That was my thought....will they hire people who actually know tractors or just any Joe off the street that knows how to change oil? Being that they are TYM tractors, would the local TYM dealer handle the service where available....which doesn't look like very many places to me. There are a lot of variables.
There is to much uncertainty for me and my money is to tight to take a chance. Maybe in a few years after everything gets to rolling along good.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here is a walk around on the RK24. Compared to my Kubota some of it looks kind of cheaply made. The loader joystick sticks out there quite a bit, so climbing off the tractor would probably only be on one side. The joystick appears to come off with the loader, which would open up that side when the loader was not in use. I would be interested in seeing how easily the loader comes off. The gas tank in the center of the hood like a JD 2305 always seemed like it would be a pain to refuel. The auto throttle is the only feature that might be handy, but really is a throttle handle that tough to operate?

·
Registered
213 Posts
One thing that caught my eye is that it appears Rural King is planning on their own line of implements for the tractors. This might open up a new line of value priced subcompact implements.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wouldn't touch one of these with a ten foot pole. I paid ~$400 more for my Kubota BX1880 than what their list price is on a comparable machine. Assuming RK dealers sell at MSRP, at these prices they'll be out of the tractor business in 18 months and finding parts/service might be a big problem.

To compete with the established players they really need to adopt the harbor freight model and come in at 1/2 - 3/4 the price, for the same quality. A 5% discount is not enough to lure anybody away from Kubota / Deere / Mahindra.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The RK19 with a loader is listed at just shy of 10k. When I bought my 1880 they were running a deal for the 1880 with a 54" deck for 11k. I added the loader and I paid around 14k. Right after I bought mine they dropped the price by a thousand to just shy of 10k, but again this was without the loader, so adding the loader still would have put you at 13k. That makes the difference between and RK and a Kubota $3000. The JD dealer here was running a special on the 1025. For just over 15k you got the tractor, deck, and loader. That is a substantial difference in price. If RK's had been around at the time I was looking I would have seriously considered them. It's not like they are made by some unknown Chinese company. I think the thing that is going to lessen their lure is that lack of 0% financing.....that is a BIG draw for people.
Don't get me wrong, there are big questions that I have yet to see answers to. But when you are staring down a price tag that rivals the prices of cars any drop in the price is very tempting.

·
Blank Space
2,968 Posts
What I'm seeing is that sales are so brisk, they can't keep them in stock. They were backlogged by a few weeks but have now received enough to fill those and expand sales to other stores.

What I haven't seen is many reports from buyers about be satisfied or not and how any service issues have been handled.

The financing will be one hang up for me. Another will be flexibility in pricing. With some of the other brands, dealers are able to accept and adjust offers or make package deals. I don't see that in a retail environment like this.

And I haven't seen whether or not these are excluded from the 12% Rebate promotions.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There is a youtube channel called Outdoors with the Morgans. They were given two RK's to use for, I think, two years along with a bunch of implements. The guy had previously owned a Kubota L series. He has bee very impressed with the subcompact. He states in one video that he had always considered them to not be real tractors, but after using the RK he is convinced they are worth having around. His episodes cover everything from grading gravel roads to clearing trees. He seems to be very happy with the tractors, but he is essentially advertising for RK so his view might need to be taken with a grain of salt.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4LeqcZZTIaVQYAuqJ6gzbg

2,083 Posts
I just priced one out:

19HP 2-Range Hydrostatic Open Station Tractor $8,299.00
R4 Industrial Tire & Wheel Assembly Set of Four $0.00
Front-End Loader With 48" Bucket for RK19H Tractors $1,699.00
54" Mid-Mount Mower For RK19H Tractors $1,699.00
RK 60" XB REAR BLADE $296.99
7 X 16 TRAILER $2,999.00
BALLAST BOX CATEGORY 1 $295.97

Sub Total: $15,288.96
25% employee discount -$3,822.24
$11,466.72

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just priced one out:

19HP 2-Range Hydrostatic Open Station Tractor $8,299.00
R4 Industrial Tire & Wheel Assembly Set of Four $0.00
Front-End Loader With 48" Bucket for RK19H Tractors $1,699.00
54" Mid-Mount Mower For RK19H Tractors $1,699.00
RK 60" XB REAR BLADE $296.99
7 X 16 TRAILER $2,999.00
BALLAST BOX CATEGORY 1 $295.97

Sub Total: $15,288.96
25% employee discount -$3,822.24
$11,466.72

Wow, that's a lot for the $ !! There are no RKs around me, so not familiar. Who services/repairs these tractors?

I'm not looking for one - have a BX1880 - but it's an interesting SCUT market development; competition is a good thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
RK tractors are built by TYM, as previously stated, in South Korea.

TYM is an established manufacturer, and has been available in USA for several years. They have supplied tractors to Mahindra since 1999 that have been sold in USA. They also have been sold under the Montana, Cabella's, Allmand, Millenium and Scorpion brands in the USA. TYM recently purchased Kukje in South Korea, which builds the Branson tractors.

Around the world, TYM supplies some tractors to Lamborghini (part of SAME-Deutz Fahr), Zetor and licensed their tech to Swaraj, part of Mahindra.

·
Blank Space
2,968 Posts
Speculation seems to be growing (so far unfounded and unconfirmed) that this deal is in question.

Statements have come out that the front man known on some sites as 'RK Tractor Guy' has left the company, though conditions are not known.

Other reports are that the stores are not carrying parts, the service people in some stores are uninformed while other stores seem to have better people. Recent buyers are also complaining that stores are refusing to deliver 'free' as they were promised and the the mobile service team seems to have vanished at least in some areas.

Anybody here have any insight either way?

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,623 Posts
RK tractors are built by TYM, as previously stated, in South Korea.

TYM is an established manufacturer, and has been available in USA for several years. They have supplied tractors to Mahindra since 1999 that have been sold in USA. They also have been sold under the Montana, Cabella's, Allmand, Millenium and Scorpion brands in the USA. TYM recently purchased Kukje in South Korea, which builds the Branson tractors.

Around the world, TYM supplies some tractors to Lamborghini (part of SAME-Deutz Fahr), Zetor and licensed their tech to Swaraj, part of Mahindra.
They sound like the AYP of small tractor sales; build a couple of models and "store brand" badge them. I saw a subcompact tractor at the RK in Morganton, NC, not long after the store opened. My first impression was it looked okay and for the price might be a good deal, as long as the reliability was there. RK itself reminded me of a K-Mart for the farmer.

·
It's a Ford thing......
81 Posts
I have been following this thread for awhile and am in the market for a new tractor. The RK brand is on my short list but I am away on an assignment where there are no Rural King stores. Has anyone here bought one recently? I had a dealer in Illinois call me a few weeks ago asking about what I wanted. I am interested but really do not want an orphan piece of equipment if they (RK) gets out of the tractor business.

·
motorcycle cowboy
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I was at my local Rural King today and briefly looked over the 19 and 24 horse tractors. I suppose for an occasional user they'd probably do the job. I don't know how they would hold up to heavy daily usage.

·
Blank Space
2,968 Posts
I was at my local Rural King today and briefly looked over the 19 and 24 horse tractors. I suppose for an occasional user they'd probably do the job. I don't know how they would hold up to heavy daily usage.

Durability of a 25HP tractor isn't really in question. JD, both K brands, LS, New Holland, TYM, Mahindra, Massey, Yanmar and others all produce and sell many of them. They're good machines. What's in question here is support from RK. They had a new 'guy' make some forum posts, but he too now seems to be gone without explanation.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts