My Tractor Forum banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,500 Posts
BTW, it was nice that your Gravely award included the time frame of your "Custom" build (1916-2015)
:p
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:?

That was nice of them, as I'm sure it cost them extra.

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I know. But Ellis doesn't. When people write "I'm dying to see your finished project" they mean it. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I brought the Phantom back home the other day so that I could get back to work on it. Oil started flying out of the breather valve a while after I started it for the first time so today I removed the heads so that I could check the valve seats for excessive carbon build up, and to check for any stuck valves. The valves all move, and there was not much carbon build up to speak of. I cleaned up what was there, and re-installed the heads. I'm going to adjust the valves tomorrow. I'm hoping to find at least one of them to be so far out of spec that the crank case is being pressurized to the point that the oil is shooting out of the breather.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,500 Posts
Sounds good Dave, I've reloaded my popcorn....

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
So today I adjusted the valves. They were tight to the point that there was no gap with any of them. I started the engine after I finished, and it ran well. it's now running on both cylinders, and sounds like an Onan again, but the crankcase is still pressurized to the point that oil is being blown out of the breather.

The "I don't want to open up the engine" part of me is thinking that the rings may be stuck, but the "face reality" part of me is thinking that the rings, and/or valve seals may be the problem, although it's not burning oil. A compression check is next on the list.

·
Gravely1964
3,957 Posts
Personally I would run it a good hour or so. Get it warm and work it. And then at that point if no improvement you already know what road your on

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Sounds like a good idea, Steve. Maybe I'll add a little Marvel Mystery Oil while I'm at it. It's been sitting for the 7 years I've had it, and who knows how many more in the collapsed shed. Enough to create the deeply pitted rust on the hood, and seat pan, that's for sure. Maybe the rings need to re-seat themselves. That would be nice. It was pretty amazing to find zero clearance with all 4 valves.

I also did a little recon while I had the rear tires off when removing the heads the other day. The original hubs (straight axle, no set bolts, it's a '72) have a lot of play, and the axle seals started leaking, so I'll be replacing them all, along with new keys.

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I parked it after running around the tractor road for 20-25 minutes. It looks like I'll be opening it up.
DSC02083.JPG
DSC02084.JPG

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
The Marvel Mystery Oil arrived today, so I thought what the heck, and poured some into the cylinders through the sparkplug holes (not that I know what that will do, the CCKA being a boxer engine), and some into the crankcase. I'll let it set for a few days, then start, and run it. At least then, the MMO will be able to mix with the oil, and circulate through the engine.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I'll let it set for a few days, then start, and run it. At least then, the MMO will be able to mix with the oil, and circulate through the engine.
+1

I've had good luck with letting MMO do its thing. The tough part is getting it where you want it. In this case your engine is running well enough to circulate it around.

Your symptom sounds to me like stuck compression rings. A few heat cycles and some MMO in there might just do the trick. Don't give up on that path yet.

·
Super Moderator
29,936 Posts
Well hope you don't end up having to do a deep dive in it and that the MMO works for you.

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Thanks, guys. I've never tried MMO, so this is new territory for me. It was good reading your post, John. I'm glad it has worked for you, and gives me some hope. I have a feeling that it's rings may be stuck too. As I mentioned, it hasn't run for many years until now.

Right now I wish that the CCKA's cylinders were vertical so that the MMO would lay on top of the pistons, and soak directly into the rings. Or maybe I should tip the whole tractor back, and forth from one side to the other. :) Since any contact with the pistons is now very limited, I may just start, and run it for a little bit today, and next few days. As you said, the MMO will be circulated around. I added about 1/2 quart to the 30wt oil between the cylinders, and the crankcase, so I'll keep the RPMs reasonable. I lost about the same amount of oil riding it around the other day, so it's not overfilled at this point.

Tim, I hope not too, since the engine runs great otherwise. It sounds nice and smooth, and isn't burning any oil. It's just spraying it. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I ran the engine for about 15-20 minutes today. It seemed like the MMO has already started working it's magic. Where oil was spraying out like an oil well gusher the other day, there was barely a fine mist coming out today. Still some pressure which is normal, but I'm not sure if it's still too much, or not.. I'll be heading out to the other place where I just moved the other 816 for summer mowing duty in a few days, so I'll be able to see if the same amount of pressure is coming out of that one. I might have dodged a bullet!
As of now the plan is to run it a few more days, then change the oil, and filter.

·
Administrator
12,423 Posts
Sounds good, Dave, hope it works out without having to tear that engine down. Keep the updates coming!

·
Gravely1964
3,957 Posts
Good to hear Dave. I tell people all the time. You have to run it threw a few heat cycles before getting concerned

Reactions: tracktortag

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
As of now the plan is to run it a few more days, then change the oil, and filter.
Best thing you can do for any internal combustion engine is keep the oil clean. Change it as often as necessary, even more so when bring one back from neglect. Oil's cheaper than anything else you'll do to keep it running.

Reactions: tracktortag
81 - 100 of 118 Posts