My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,234 Posts
When projects of these epic proportions appear on the horizon, one must be prepared for the wild ride ahead.......

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Well, it's only been over 6 years that I've had the "shed find" Phantom, and have done absolutely nothing with it since getting enough eggcorns out from in-between the block, and flywheel so that I could turn the engine by hand to listen, and feel for compression through the sparkplug holes. My lapse in doing anything reminded me of another chronic procrastinator who is well known for starting projects, and then..., but I'm not going to name names.:tango_face_smile:

Anyway, this past weekend I pushed the Phantom outside, and went to work. I had taken an inventory on what would be needed to get it running. The original coil was missing it's resistor, so I ordered a replacement 12v coil, along with new points, condenser, plugs, fuel filter, fuel line, oil, and an oil filter. Also, the clutch material had separated from the forward clutch plate due to water damage from the tractor's being in the collapsed shed for so many years, so I picked up complete f/r clutch assemblies for a good price on ebay. All of the wires had been disconnected, but using the 816 electrical schematic that I found on Chip's manuals, I was able to reconnect everything. I had already taken the carb. apart, and cleaned it.

Once everything was replaced I turned the key (I have to replace the ignition switch- turn the key too far and the starter stops-bad starter contacts in the ignition switch) the Onan fired right up. It sounded great-quiet, and very smooth running, and no smoke.

So the Phantom is now a runner. The f/r linkage was frozen in the neutral position from rust, but I freed it up today. Once I install the new clutch assys. it should be a driver.

·
16,345 Posts
Very good -Dave..I know and feel the satisfaction you get when you first fire up one of these 'lost souls'...
Keep ;em coming!

glenn

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Nice going. My kinda project get the parts and do it over a 2 day period

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Thanks, guys. It's always a gamble when you bring a $200 non-runner home, but I felt bad for it, and thought I should try to save it.

Next up is a nice power wash to get rid of the crud that has built up between the engine's cooling fins, and around the rectifier. And I have to try to figure out where I put the bolts for the engine tins when I removed them 6 years ago. The tins need to be back in place before I run the engine for any length of time.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,234 Posts
My lapse in doing anything reminded me of another chronic procrastinator who is well known for starting projects, and then..., but I'm not going to name names.:tango_face_smile:
I think I know who you're talking about, Dave. Real smart. Handsome guy. Hangs out with some real boneheads, though.

:wwp::wwp::wwp:

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
LOL. How did you know? I really shouldn't be saying anything right now. The pot calling the kettle black kind of thing. I didn't realize that it's been this long until I saw the date of my first post.

Funny, a neighbor mentioned that I should just clearcoat it, and make it a rat rod tractor because that had already crossed my mind.., for about 2 seconds.:tango_face_smile:

I'll be heading back out the end of this week, or beginning of next week, so I'll take a few pics of it outside.

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
I drove the Phantom for the first time in over the 6 years I've had it today. I installed the clutch assemblies that I picked up on ebay. It's a good thing that I picked up both clutches because the rear clutch bearing turned out to be seized. I paid less for the entire assy. than I would have for a new bearing.

I ran it just long enough to make "under some load" (me:tango_face_smile:) carb. adjustments, and drive it up, and down the driveway a few times. Forward, reverse, and all of the gears worked as well as high, and low ranges. I didn't check the pto, or hydraulics because I didn't want to run the engine missing a shroud any longer.

I did notice more pressure coming out of the breather than on the other 816. The engine was likely running hotter, even in that short period of time, and at 38 degree air temp. because there was no right side engine shroud. It dawned on me while I was looking for it that the p/o couldn't find it when he sold me the tractor. He told me that he would call me if he found it, but he never did. I'll either have to find a good right side shroud or make one myself. I could use the other 816's shroud as a template.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,140 Posts
It must've felt good running her around again! Nice job on finding and installing the clutch assemblies. :fing32: It looks like a good project machine.

I'll bet on Ebay or through some networking you'll be able to find the shroud you're looking for.

Thanks for the photos! And here I thought all your machines were beautifully restored. :tango_face_grin:

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
And here I thought all your machines were beautifully restored. :tango_face_grin:
Well the cat's out of the bag now.:tango_face_smile: I've never driven it before today. When I bought it 6 years ago I rolled it off of the trailer, pushed it into the garage, and it has just sat there until now. I'd really like to know how many more years it sat in the collapsed shed before the p/o finally pulled it out for the original owner's wife, who was having what was left of the shed demolished. It had to be for some years from the amount of rust, and pitting on it.

It's too cold for any body prep, and paint now but I'll start working on that end this next spring.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Good thing it's not worse or the collapsed shed didn't damage it. It looks like the patina is actually kind of nice, fix up the seat and use as-is. :)
+1

Some of my machines get the cleanup treatment, but more of them get the mechanicals sorted out, and run as is. That one looks to me like a runner.

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
It looks like the patina is actually kind of nice, fix up the seat and use as-is. :)
+1

Some of my machines get the cleanup treatment, but more of them get the mechanicals sorted out, and run as is. That one looks to me like a runner.
The rust *does* give it the look of an old honest hard working tractor, and it *would* mean less work for me. I just don't know how long I'd be able to keep my trigger finger off of the rattle can trigger.

My neighbor said the same thing though. Clearcoat it the way it is and keep the patina, like a rat rod.

41 - 60 of 118 Posts