My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
So, no bad news is good news at this point. You've already shown you revel in these situations, Dave. I mean, look at that RER you got from Frank :Stop: I was scared for you on that one. I've taken home better looking things from a bar at closing time. Knowing you though, it'll be running in no time. I'm looking forward to the process.
Lmao

Man you just don't see a lot of 816's come up for sale around here at all. You guys are in some prime areas! Last thing even close I remember seeing was an 817 someone had and the asking price was $2300! Nfw!

Sent via mobile

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So, no bad news is good news at this point. You've already shown you revel in these situations, Dave. I mean, look at that RER you got from Frank :Stop: I was scared for you on that one. I've taken home better looking things from a bar at closing time. Knowing you though, it'll be running in no time. I'm looking forward to the process.
Well, that's a new one. I've never seen a tractor being picked up at a bar. :sidelaugh

My problem is that I like trying to save these things, and bringing them back, rather than think of them being scrapped.

Speaking of scrapped, the "hood ornament" is history. Unfortunately, the hood, and seat pan may also have to go. There are deep pock marks of rust in both. The only thing that might work would be to have them sandblasted, and fill the holes with something like liquid weld, or marine tex, and sand that. I would'nt even try bondo. I just would'nt want to do all of the work only to see cracks in the paint down the road.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'm surprised that there are'nt more around your area.
The local dealer has plenty of 810's, 812's, but no elusive 816. The old man that owns the place mows weekly with an 816. :)

I don't know what it is. It'd take having to go door to door I believe! Barn to barn.

Sent via Mobile

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The local dealer has plenty of 810's, 812's, but no elusive 816. The old man that owns the place mows weekly with an 816. :)

I don't know what it is. It'd take having to go door to door I believe! Barn to barn.

Sent via Mobile
My 816 and dad's 430 812 came from your area. Dad's 24G was sold new in Athens we got it from Ravenswood. Jason

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts

Sent via Mobile
I thought you showed me a listing down there Brad on a rough 816 in a barn.

Better be careful. If you want an 816 and think about it some (not even alot) one will come to you. I know BTDT. Still workin' on it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I thought you showed me a listing down there Brad on a rough 816 in a barn.

Better be careful. If you want an 816 and think about it some (not even alot) one will come to you. I know BTDT. Still workin' on it.
The one that smoked a lot they said! That's the only one I've ever seen!

Jason must watch CL like a hawk!

A lot of G tractors come up around here

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Tractortag i have an 800 hood i am bringing to the mowin. I stripped it down to bare metal and painted it that off white color

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts

Sent via Mobile
If you see one up my way I can always check it out for you. They come up from time to time.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
My '72 has SN 11449-A, so they're fairly close. The LSD is nice.

Here's to hoping that the engine is alright. I have compression in my '73 but it needs to have the replacement flywheel put back on to see if it'll run, and the '72 burns quite a bit of oil but functions well otherwise. They're nice tractors and definitely came with the most "stuff" of any of the 800-series machines.

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Tractortag i have an 800 hood i am bringing to the mowin. I stripped it down to bare metal and painted it that off white color

Sent from the MTF Free App
Sorry for the late reply. I just got back from a mini vacation. I was'nt able to make the mow-in this year. It was too far away.

Thanks for letting me know about the hood (if you still have it). I'm going to keep it in mind. Right now I'm still working at seeing just what I have.
Once I know that it can be brought back, I'll be sending you a PM.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
My '72 has SN 11449-A, so they're fairly close. The LSD is nice.

Here's to hoping that the engine is alright. I have compression in my '73 but it needs to have the replacement flywheel put back on to see if it'll run, and the '72 burns quite a bit of oil but functions well otherwise. They're nice tractors and definitely came with the most "stuff" of any of the 800-series machines.
Only 53 tractors apart. That sure is pretty close in the whole scheme of things. My '72 814 is #14392-A, so it came along later in the year.

"Here's hoping" is right..., with both of our tractors. There's always that nagging in your mind until you're finally able to fire them up for the first time.

The starter, coil, and plugs were all out, and the ignition switch, and air cleaner assy. are MIA, so there may be a little (or a lot) more involved.

I heard, and felt compression on both sides, as well as nice vacuum on my thumb as I turned both pistons through their down stroke, so...:praying:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. I just got back from a mini vacation. I was'nt able to make the mow-in this year. It was too far away.

Thanks for letting me know about the hood (if you still have it). I'm going to keep it in mind. Right now I'm still working at seeing just what I have.
Once I know that it can be brought back, I'll be sending you a PM.

Thanks again!
No worries. I have two hoods now. One came off an 810 and has 2 or 3 extra 3/8" holes on the top (maybe had a big mirror mounted on it) and the other is nice and clean all stripped and primed with no extra holes.

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
No worries. I have two hoods now. One came off an 810 and has 2 or 3 extra 3/8" holes on the top (maybe had a big mirror mounted on it) and the other is nice and clean all stripped and primed with no extra holes.
:sidelaugh Maybe! I'd be interested in hood w/o the big mirror mounting holes once I know that this tractor can be a runner again.

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
It's been quite a while, but there has been a new development. I finally called Boomer and ordered some things that I need for the phantom. He sent them a couple of weeks ago, but I've been away. My daughter picked them up along with other held mail from the Post Office when she returned the other day.

Everything looks good. Boomer tested the starter before he shipped it. He also sent a NOS high-rise points "kit" with all of the internals included. I won't be using the high-rise, but will use everything in the points box.

Now I'll be able to move ahead in getting it running again.

Attachments

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
It's been quite a while, but there has been a new development. I finally called Boomer and ordered some things that I need for the phantom. He sent them a couple of weeks ago, but I've been away. My daughter picked them up along with other held mail from the Post Office when she returned the other day.

Everything looks good. Boomer tested the starter before he shipped it. He also sent a NOS high-rise points "kit" with all of the internals included. I won't be using the high-rise, but will use everything in the points box.

Now I'll be able to move ahead in getting it running again.
Here we go Dave! I'll be watching this closer than usual. As soon as i can get to the 450 I too will be working on a CCKA. BTW I do have a hood that will fit that here. Pretty sure it's in decent shape with no holes where they shouldn't be. Might even be able to bring it your way as i go near there on business.

21 - 40 of 118 Posts