My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I felt sorry for this tractor, so... it's now in my garage. The seller told me that he had to cut out the side of an old partially collapsed shed which was being torn down, in order to pull this, and a Cub Cadet out.

It's missing the flywheel weight, and air cleaner assy. The Onan CCKA turns, but I have'nt had a chance to investigate further.

The serial number (11502-A) makes it a 1972, which should also make it a limited slip differential tractor.

Attachments

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,261 Posts
Nice score, Dave. Seems to be raining 816's lately. Nice rear hitch. What's that thing bolted to the hood. Looks a lot like the TV aerial base we had on our house when I was young. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Great save, Dave! A Gravely with a pintle mount for a deck gun! I love it! An altogether underrated option.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,261 Posts
Great save, Dave! A Gravely with a pintle mount for a deck gun! I love it! An altogether underrated option.
Well, I guess that shoots a hole in my TV aerial theory :sidelaugh

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hahahahaha. Nice score dave. I was wondering if you ever went to look at that 816. Did he give up the mower decks too? Shed fresh is right.

·
Super Moderator
11,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahahahaha. Nice score dave. I was wondering if you ever went to look at that 816. Did he give up the mower decks too? Shed fresh is right.
Thanks John. And thanks for the "heads up". I finally got over there a week ago. Picked it up yesterday.

No, it was the tractor only. He's actually looking for a decent 50" deck so he does'nt have to try making one decent deck out of the two he has now.

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
That thing on the hood would make a good conversation piece for a "what is it?" segment on TOH. Personally I thought it was for mounting the caution light needed when towing in broken down JDs and Cub Cadets.

·
Registered
450 Posts
That's what he was telling me. He also said the truck side view mirror was used to keep an eye on keeping straight rows when using the rear tiller. It's got the right side pro shaft axle block as you know so I guess his story makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
11,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what he was telling me. He also said the truck side view mirror was used to keep an eye on keeping straight rows when using the rear tiller. It's got the right side pro shaft axle block as you know so I guess his story makes sense.
Either trying to keep straight rows, or make sure his wife was'nt coming after him.:D

I could tell that it had a rear axle pto shaft at one time. It's not there now, just the block.

·
Super Moderator
11,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That thing on the hood would make a good conversation piece for a "what is it?" segment on TOH. Personally I thought it was for mounting the caution light needed when towing in broken down JDs and Cub Cadets.
...or maybe a Gravely pursuit tractor... " I stopped you because you were driving 0.10 MPH in a 0.05 MPH speed zone."

Attachments

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
...or maybe a Gravely pursuit tractor... " I stopped you because you were driving 0.10 MPH in a 0.05 MPH speed zone."
must have had it wide open! Good one Dave

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Great score Dave. I thought the rig on the hood was the base for a lightning rod to power the coil. Guess I was wrong on that one. :hide:

·
Super Moderator
11,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dave
i do have the weight and air cleaner assy. in stock.
e/mail [email protected]
or call 651 437 2826 ( Mn. )
thank you.boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )
Thanks Boomer. I'll be giving you a call.

This may be a long shot, but might you also have a Marvel VD 60 tri fuel carb. for a 1976 Onan CCK 5 generator?

·
Super Moderator
11,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, we have compression! I had some time to begin the process of determining if this tractor is a runner, or parter. The old girl is showing signs that she wants to run again. I could'nt get a compression reading, as the starter is out. However, I heard air exiting both spark plug bores as I turned the flywheel by hand.

Apparently squirrels like Gravelys as much as we do. I was a little concerned as I turned the flywheel, especially counter clockwise, as I heard what could have been any number of internals knashing as I turned the flywheel (was the stator in pieces?) But having seen all of the acorns on the gas tank tray, I hoped for the best.

Sure enough, a pile of crushed acorns dropped to the floor when I removed the shroud. Everything turns smoothly now, another good sign.
Both head sinks are full of grease/dirt mix, so I'll be pulling the head shrouds next.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Nice find! The only thing I've ever found in a shed that was fresh I didn't want!!! Jason

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,261 Posts
So, no bad news is good news at this point. You've already shown you revel in these situations, Dave. I mean, look at that RER you got from Frank :Stop: I was scared for you on that one. I've taken home better looking things from a bar at closing time. Knowing you though, it'll be running in no time. I'm looking forward to the process.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts