My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. We have an old 917 258691 46" Hydro tractor with the 18.5 Kohler Magnum twin.
I have to pour gas down the carb to get her to start when cold. Then she runs fine.
Is there a fuel pump, where is it and how hard to change it? I have been looking on line and having trouble finding it.
Thanks all. PS If there is anyone looking to sell the plastic headlight cover let me know. Mark

Hello Toro98 ...please stop in at Introductions that is our Introduction forum...tell us about yourself and equipment

If there is a fuel pump just follow the fuel line from the carburetor back and you will find it...or from the tank going towards the carb......but if a fuel pump is not working correctly, I don't think it would continue to run after you "prime" it...is there a separate choke control on it?.......sounds like the choke cable is not travelling its full course

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Toro98 ...please stop in at Introductions that is our Introduction forum...tell us about yourself and equipment
View attachment 2443726
If there is a fuel pump just follow the fuel line from the carburetor back and you will find it...or from the tank going towards the carb......but if a fuel pump is not working correctly, I don't think it would continue to run after you "prime" it...is there a separate choke control on it?.......sounds like the choke cable is not travelling its full course
Hi Mark. Choke and throttle cable are working fine. Fuel filter new. Perhaps it's time for a carb rebuild. I think that tractor is from the early 90's. Not sure of the year. The serial number is 022697D001682

Minding my P's & Q's
Not sure of the year. The serial number is 022697D001682
Look at the first 6 numbers of the serial number. It will be the date it was built mmddyy.

Registered
there is a fuel pump on them. It鈥檚 a mechanical pump that works off the cam. Follow the fuel line you will find it on the front of the engine. Normally when ive seen them go bad though, they start and run for a bit and shut off. Id try hooking a test tank up to the carb and gravity feed to see if you get a fifferent result.

Hoosier Daddy
I found that the aftermarket fuel pumps are attractively priced, but don't seem to work worth a darn. Factory ones are expensive...

If you find the fuel pump is your issue, there's another solution.

I made a bracket and hooked a Briggs style pulse pump to mine, driven by a block off plate (covering the location of the original pump) with a hose nipple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts