My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone had a diagram or pic of how the coil is sppose to be wired the one i have says ford on it and has a cap that wires go in to that then slides on to poles on coil i had a replacement saved onl to find it was full of water so ll have to buy a new one

·
Registered
645 Posts
+ to key switch (12V source) - to points.

·
Still plays with tractors
2,302 Posts
Make sure the one you get has an internal resistor.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok didnt they have a resistor attached to them to

·
2,302 Posts
Never saw one with a resistor attached to it but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I just get one with the internal resistor. You have everything you need and it looks neater.

·
Amature Scrounger
23 Posts
I would guess that what you heard in your coil was the oil sloshing around.
Most of them are oil filled. and they have an air bubble in them to allow the oil to expand when it gets hot.
I would recomend that you switch to an epoxy filled coil because of the vibaration of the single cylinder engine.
Epoxy filled internal resistor coils are not easy to find localy. I bought an external resitor Borg-Warner and I don't know what it really fits.
This older guy stood back and watched a greenie bring out about 5 coils and I would shake everyone and hear the oil slosh. He finialy got off his stool and walked back to the shelf and brought me what I wanted.
I installed a Ford ignition restor between the key run terminal on the key switch and the coil then I ran a wire from the starter side of the switch straight to the coil + to help with the voltage drop while cranking. I don't think that is really necessary down here on the Gulf Coast. Up north when PK's are used to fight that white stuff it should help getting them cranked.
Kirk engines sells a Bosh internal resistor epoxy filled coil.
A good friend of mine said he read it was not good to mount an oil filled coil horizontialy because with the air bubble at the top some of the windings are not covered by the oil and the oil also cools the windings. Is that true? I don't know. I do know factory coils mounted horizointialy on Kohler engines don't last very long.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well changed coil and still nothing had to put it up before rain came ill have to get my volts meter i dont think its getting any juice to it

·
2,302 Posts
If you have an amp gage on the tractor, that could be your problem. I just went through that myself.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it does gave one someone ruined a darn good dash. oh and fishnfarm i think u may be on to something with them water filled coils

·
Electrician
937 Posts
If the coil says (12v stamped on it) it has the internal resistor already. Here is wiring diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
o got new coil wired in just one last question the condenser i think its called goes over to the positive side of coil right

1 - 11 of 11 Posts