My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Got the bucket off and aired up the right front so I could at least pull it close to the shop with the 154 Loboy today(with the wife at the wheel), and then pulled the oil plug to drain all the oil/water out of it, its been sitting with no gas cap so I expected it would be full of water. I'll flush it with diesel a couple times and it should be fine, did the same thing with a little Kohler once and its been running fine for 4 yrs now.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No luck getting the 50 turning yet, she's stuck. I pulled the body tin off today and had a look under the valve cover, not terrible but a bit of rust around on a couple of the rocker arm bolt heads. I think I'll pull the head, clean and lap the valves then I'll get a better look inside the cylinders. Dont want to force anything and risk causing damage.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
No luck getting the 50 turning yet, she's stuck. I pulled the body tin off today and had a look under the valve cover, not terrible but a bit of rust around on a couple of the rocker arm bolt heads. I think I'll pull the head, clean and lap the valves then I'll get a better look inside the cylinders. Dont want to force anything and risk causing damage.
I had a Continental 226 6 cyl.. (these were also used in the Henry J cars too).. it was stuck.. soaked the top of pistons with tranny fluid for a month.. then used a trimmed down 4 x 4 & a 5 pound hammer to tap them a bit.. it did break loose.. took pistons out then.. honed the cyl's.. cleaned up the rings with S O S pads.. they came out shinny.. stuck it back together.. she ran like a top then..

·
Keeper of the bees-Now deceased
2,409 Posts
Make A 50:50 of acetone and diesel fuel solution and fill the cylinder bores with it and allow it to set and soak. won't take a awful long time to free the engine that way.
Know a fella that will chain a 8 ft 4x4 on a wheel that is jacked up and hang a wheel weight or two on that 4x4 bar to make the engine turn over. Works well for him.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Crappy weather today so Ive been in the shop working on smaller tractors, but I noticed the diesel has drained down on two cyl in the 50 so thats a good sign. I soaked all the manifold bolts with wd40 so I'll leave that sit for a day or two before pulling the head.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got the head off the 50 yesterday, lots of crud and rust in the ports and around the valves so probably a good thing it didnt turn over, no lip on the cylinders so thats a good sign. Looks like it will be salvagable but it will take some time and effort.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Didnt have much ambition to work on this project outside over the winter but yesterday I brought home the 40 aswell so Im hoping to have a working machine here real soon. The 40 runs and drives but only in 2nd gear at the moment because the shift lever is broken, hopefully I can just pull the lever out of the 50 and solve the problem. Runs quite nicely but has some wiring issues so I hotwired it so we could drive it outside and get it loaded on a trailer, fel seems to work properly. With any luck Im hoping to take to the local show/pull this fall which this year is highlighting canadian built tractors ;)

Attachments

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,297 Posts
Looks like a fine day to stretch a tractors legs. Good looking machine!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Bottom of the shift lever was pretty worn and beat up lookin so I pulled the lever from the 50 and put it in, feels like its working now so Im just waiting for the battery to charge so I can test it out.... also I have to go pick up another freebie lawn tractor right now.

Anyone happen to know what weight oil a 1952 tractor transmission would call for?? I'd like to drain it and refill just in case theres some left over filings in there.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,051 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
90 in the tranny??? Wow, maybe one oil does both tranny and diff.... I'll go thru everything over the weekend. Just took it for a lap around the yard and the gears are working now :D

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,051 Posts
Good deal on the test drive.

I just glanced at that old manual and saw 4.5 gal for trans/diff on one page but no oil type. A few pages later says 90W. Wonder if the operator's manual says to depress the clutch when cranking over to start in the winter.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
With todays hightech oils Ive read that some people use hydraulic fluid so I might try that at first, tractor isnt going to be worked very hard now that its here... as you know I dont really need a big tractor like this, I just wanted a Cockshutt :D

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Glad to hear you are making progress on these again Lance! I can picture the smile on your face from here :)
Im sure you can Mikey, Ive been on this quest for a Cockshutt for a long time.

Even tho the engine on the 50 is stuck from being left outside with no gas cap or muffler cover I think that generally its in better original condition so I'll still restore it as the budget permits, but having a working 40 with a fel in the mean time will allow me to sell the Farmhand off the 50 and the smaller Allied fel I was thinking of putting on my Loboy 154, I'll put the deck under the Loboy instead and call it my riding mower. Lol

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The PO(Dennis) stopped by yesterday to see how I made out with his tractor, he's happy for me but a little piffed at the guy he bought the tractor from after I explained how someone attempted to repair the original shift lever and then installed it without the spring the holds it in place, I found that spring in a small tool box under the seat. Dennis isnt very mechanically inclined so he didnt have any idea what was wrong, to him it had transmission issues, but I was pretty sure it was just the shifter and an easy fix since I already had the parts, plus I can repair the old shifter as well.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,051 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Sputtered a little under load but she has good torque, I dug down about 6-8 inches in some virgin turf without reving much above idle and I couldnt feel any resistance to the forward motion.

Need to fab up a flapper for the exhaust, just been putting a soup can over it but always forget to take it off before starting the engine so then I have to climb down and go looking for it. Lol

21 - 40 of 46 Posts