My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im usually lurking around in the GT section here but Ive been looking for an old Cockshutt to restore for along time, and finally, just yesterday made a deal on this 50. When I was a kid my Pop owned a Cockshutt/White service center so this takes me back to where I first turned a wrench, and its my first 'Big' tractor.

The PO tells me he drove it to the spot shown a few years ago after he bought a bigger tractor, all the controls move, the oil looks good, it seems fairly complete and original, the Farm Hand is included and I think I got a H___ of a deal at $500cad, I couldnt get my wallet out fast enough.LOL

HappyHappyHappy:thThumbsU

Attachments

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,100 Posts
That's a dream lister for me. Congrats on getting a beautiful machine at an incredible price. Can't wait to see more :wwp::wwp::wwp:

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Glad you finally found one Lance, and what a steal... errr.. deal at $500.

Please keep the pics coming.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,238 Posts
did u ask the seller if he got it from ur dad..

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did u ask the seller if he got it from ur dad..
That would be cool but unlikely, Pops shop was in a small southern Sask town.... heres a pic of one the magnetic signs off his old service truck

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm jealous of the tractor and the sign. Here in the midwest U.S. we saw more of the Coop branded Cockshut than the actual Cockshut. You are probably excited about the loader, but it's a pity that it blocks out the view of those beautiful lines. Congratulations on a great buy.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm jealous of the tractor and the sign. Here in the midwest U.S. we saw more of the Coop branded Cockshut than the actual Cockshut. You are probably excited about the loader, but it's a pity that it blocks out the view of those beautiful lines. Congratulations on a great buy.
If I can make it fit that loader might end up on my Cub 154 Loboy;)

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Great buy! We had a CS 50 Wheatland on our farm when I was a kid as well. I remember driving it home from the auction when my dad bought it. I was just offered it back last month as it now owned by my best friend's dad. It is mechanically in pretty rough shape, but I may have to get it just to have it back.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Love the Cockshutts. Had an uncle that had a half dozen around his dairy farm. Many around were bought up to make modified pulling tractors. Those rear ends were nearly bullet proof.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Actually scrap isnt worth crap around here these days, I think thats why these tractors are showing up cheap... even the scrappers dont want them.

I figure I bought a fel... tractor was included;)
Probably the reason not only why you get such good deals but also why there are so many old tractors sitting around. Just too expensive to ship scrap in either direction from your locale for recycling.:fing32:

Here, being a half hour from Hamilton, I dread to think how many go thru the crusher.:hide:

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know two scrap guys around here that dont even want a car or truck these days, they only get $100 if that, not worth the time or fuel. I just had another call today to go look at another big tractor so I wouldnt be surprised if they already tried calling a scrap dealer and didnt like the offer... I dont know what it is yet but I'll fill ya in later;)

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the other tractor I went to look at today was a David Brown 1212 with a nice heavy LEON loader, cab and brand new 16.5 x 34 tires, according to tractordata.com they were built '71-'76 and had 70+ hp. I dont think Im gonna venture into that project although I bet it would be an awesome puller;)

TractorData.com David Brown 1212 tractor information

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I looked at a 40 yesterday, it has near new tires but Im a bit concerned about what might be lurking under the rattle can paint job... and where did the power steering come from?? The current owner doesnt know much about tractors in general, other than that he paid waaay to much for it and now it has tranny issues(or at least shifter issues)... Im thinking the PO mickey moused it together for some fast cash so who knows what might hiding under that paint. IF I can get it real cheap I can use the tires but the rest might just be a shiny yard ornament and a parts donor.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts