My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm waiting for Anthony or Kevin or somebody to show the stuff they have fabricated here. C'mon guys! :congrats: :fest30:
EDIT- Kevin , this would be a good spot to post pics of your home made equipment.

Durwood

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
In the blood

Growing up I always had a welder, torches, grinders, and tools at my disposal. All through high school our farm was the place to go to keep your heep running. Len Serena, my dad had a reputation for being able to fix it! Been involved in more projects then I can count. Dad always had a supply of metal on hand, anything from sheet steel to huge I beams so if you got an urge to build something you were only limited by your creativity.
Now that I have two older boys of my own it seems that the same thing has happened all over again. My repair shop is at my farm three miles from my home and I never know what I will find when I throw the door open. The latest project my youngest is working on is a combination ATV lift and frame straightener. Why a frame straightener you ask? Well there are about 20 ATV's total in the gang that hangs and so far we have had several twisted A arms, three bent frames, collisiion damage, 2 burnt out winches, plenty of flats, and a more then a few drowned rat machines. To say some of the guys ride hard is an under statement. There is a system of trails in place around us that will get you miles away from home. Some of the places we ride are wild and stuff happens.
I have a Millermatic mig welder, a Marquette stick welder, torches, a small brake, an iron worker bench, a forge, and a whole mess of tools. They all get used either by me our the crew. The next thing I want to aquire is a horizonal bandsaw. My latest find is a WWI surplus lathe. It is a Hendley with all the bells and whistles. We have not set up a place for it yet, but my youngest who is a machinist by trade is excited. It should raise the bar when it comes to building things. This lathe is an eight footer with a wide swing, three and four jaw chucks, a live tailstock, a boring set-up and two truckloads of tooling that we have not fished through yet. The guy even had an indexing head for it. Now I got my eye open for the bandsaw, a shaper, and a good sized mill.
My wife wonders why I need these things. I wonder how can a man with rust and grease in his veins live without them. :confused:

·
Registered
220 Posts
You guys are spoiled !!!
What do you think, you’re gonna see a new project every week ?
Some time has to be allotted to play with these toys ….errr I mean..
ahh…Work with this equipment.
:14_6_5:

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
My new project for the week is to rip out the electric guts from this truck and put in a gas engine... It will have a 16 hp cast iron engine when I'm done..

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
"Go Daddy"

I'm working on converting a Stihl straight shaft gas weed eater to a "go daddy" outboard for my canoe. The old vietnam vets will know what I'm talking about. We saw 1,000s in SEA. When I get it finished, will try to post pics. No rush as the lakes are still frozen here in Idaho.
Mike A

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Hey Mike they make those down here but they don't use a weed eater motor they use a big Briggs or Honda. They call them go-devils down here. Heres a link to there site.

go-devils

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
Thanks Jody,
I don't want a lot of speed, just something to get to the next fishin' hole and use my elec. to do the fishin'. Besides, I'm retired and just like to tinker with whatever comes to mind.
Thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I've been fooling around with a gallon size electolysis tank that runs off a 12v battery charger. I can't get any pics cause I'm too dirty to handle the new digital camera haha. Works pretty well. Has anyone else cleaned/derusted parts like this?

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
freebird said:
. Has anyone else cleaned/derusted parts like this?
Two members that i know have. Rudi and johnbron. I see pictures from both and it looks like it works great.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I got a set of John Deere front rims cooking right now.

Just finished a set of JD very narrow rear rims with rust 3/8" thick on them. (**** caluim filled tires) They look brand new. Just have to touch them up with my blast cabinet.

I got a 30 gallon rubber made tub with a 12v charger and a 14 by 14 inch piece of 1/8" to attract the rust. And 10 boxes of washing soda on stock.
4 gallons of water to 1 cup of washing soda works the best.

My tank runs none stop. Soon as something is done. Something else is in it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Kbeitz said:
Where do you get your washing soda ???
Kevin I buy ["Arm & Hammer" Washing Soda] in the laundry/soap aisle section of a local grocery store. I was surprised to see that Wal-Mart doesn`t carry it here locally but if you shop enough super-markets you will find it or have the Wife get it for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd like to try removing rust from a couple of tractor parts and wondered what size battery charger is required and what polarity you would use when connecting the charger to the part and the sacrificial plate. I had never heard of this before. I assume the container needs to be non-metallic. What sort of finish do you get when the parts are done? I know that cleaning time will vary, but is this a one day or one week process? Thanks for the opportunity to learn something new.
Stuart

·
Registered
5 Posts
Byron R.
Thanks for the link. It was very informative and included not only the practical part but an easily understood explanation of the science behind the process as well. Safety notes and concerns were also much appreciated.
I must have missed this application of electrolysis in high school chemistry. Probably daydreaming about cars, girls and airplanes. I do remember collecting hydrogen and blowing up a beaker but not the part about cleaning rust from valuable old tractor components.
I will try this out on a couple of brake linkage parts for my IH B-414 and see how it works. Thanks for your help.
Stuart

·
Branded for LIFE !!!
4,451 Posts
stuart:: Like I said before Welcome to the site...Bill Dickerson deserves all the credit for that info...I just attached the link..Glad you found it helpfull..We would love to have you show us some of your pics and results of the process if you try it.. Theres another thred on MTF where Wingnut is useing Rust Beeter..Have you read it.... http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=48358&highlight=rust+beeter Seems to work good too... I think he tells the Cost....B,:trink40:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts