My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Been a while since I have posted...September of '09 to be exact...

Here is a link to the thread I made when I bought my Snapper...
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=94371

So, with some help from a local Small Engine Repair Centre, I was able to get it running...apparently it had sat for quite some time (outdoors) and required a new carb...runs real well, has been cutting for us all season with only one minor issue (broken blade belt)...not bad for a mower in the 20 year old range that hadn;t been used for at least a few years and was purchased for $50 (although I have a bit more than that in to it now...)

That is until now...it runs real well, it cuts fairly decent...but it just stopped moving...I had a look, and I can physically spin the disc that drives the axles by hand regardless of what gear (I know it is not truly gears - but that is term I am choosing to use - you know what I am referring to) the shifter is in...this has been progressively getting worse, when I first had it running I had most gears and revers, then I lost reverse and have been slowing loosing gears, now it will not even move in first, even if I get off the mower!!!

So, I am guessing that I need to do some work on the clutch...and this is where my question comes in...what parts do I need to buy?

I looked at the Illustrated Parts Manual here http://www.snapper.com/document/index.cfm?doc=06092_LO.pdf

on Page 10 it shows the "Smooth Clutch Assembly"...it also states on page 11 that the assembly is not available and to order parts separately...

So, do I really need all the parts in the "assembly"...or can I get just some of the parts?

My thoughts were that I could get away with ordering only part number 5-7337 "DISC, driven" as all the other parts would still be on my mower and the "DISC, driven" 5-7337 is the only real wear part from what I can see...

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
You might look for your parts at Parts Tree! They've given me good service.
Of course, there are other good sources also.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,095 Posts
Typically you would expect to replace the rubber tired driven wheel with liner inside it. IF you could send a picture of your mower standing up, might help see what the problem is.

IF the rubber tired wheel is OK, then the problem may be the shifter yoke which runs across the mower and the roller extension on the center chain case runs in it. Sometimes big wear areas will occur in this preventing full engage pressure.

The tension spring is attached and OK?

Walt Conner

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The number 4 is usually what wears out. but as Walt says other things can also cause slippage. the kit was primarily for people converting earlier models to "smooth clutch" I think you can still get all the parts I've been using lamnmower pros but I don't know about shipping to Canada,maybe some Canadian members will reply.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not able to get pictures as I am out of town for a week. I typically only get a few days in town each week so I was hoping to pick the part(s) up from a local dealer near me before heading back to town so I could try to get this thing working again when I get back.

I went for it today though and picked up the driven disc as well as a new fuel cap (it was a need that hadn't been addressed yet) for $35 including taxes.

From what I recall the rubber on the driven disc was extremely worn so I am totally thinking that will be my problem. I will take pics and post next week while swapping the disc out and I will update as to progress at the same time.

Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay...so I put the new driven disc on...and it lasted about 3 hours...found out that it needed a liner that is not listed in the parts diagram (and as mentioned in other posts)...didn't even realize the old one had a liner in it...

so, called the parts guy again, talked to him, told him what was going on, he set me up again, this time with the liner and driven wheel...

Just reinstalled them and the mower is doing wheelies now...never had that before...seems promising...

Anyway...had a quick ride this evening, but due to rain the past few days and me heading back to work tomorrow morning and being gone for a week, I will not have a chance to give it another good look and ride until I am back next Sunday...

Here are some pics from the first swap of driven clutch showing the one that was on there when I bought the mower and the first new one I bought...

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
An old time Snapper mechanic here had the liner available in bulk & cut me a piece to go in the one he sold me. You may not have to buy both if you do a bit of shopping. If you'll research some of the older threads, you'll find where DC-3Mech made mention of the tool for holding the driven disc & hub while tightening/loosening the nuts having a provision for measuring liner thickness. A whole lot of folks have missed the concept of the liner providing the engagement between the driven disc & the hub. I'm cheap, the old driven disc is clearly toast, & in your shoes, I might try swapping the liner. You might want to give the drive disc a 'brush up' as well to extend the life of the new driven disc. I wish everyone supplied as effective pictures as you did!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
H-D and all:The 7032392 "smooth clutch tool" is used to hold the driven disc while loosen and tightening the disc nuts. It is also used to set the drive disc distance,it has a notch at the top to fit the flange on the main deck hole and a range from 3&3/4 ti 3&13/16 for the friction surface. I don't know of any tool to measure the liner thickness,maybe some one with a new one could measure it and report?I've seen poses where they used Gasket material for a substitute.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
when you replace the disk you need to replace that "liner that goes between the disk and the hub, that will be whats slipping alot of the time, i think i got a spair layin around, ill get the caliper out and see how thick it is, i do know it was like 3 of my old ones the last time i replaced my disk/liner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts