My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
honestjohn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused,my 8n that I just got home with would travel about 4ft when I would put the clutch in,this is without the mower.It goes in gear ok even the pto goes in without grinding so I figured it needed adjusting since there was about 2 inches of free travel,after about 1hr trying to get the rusted eye bolt free I adjusted it up to 3/4 inch.I then could not get it in any gear so with it in 3rd gear I cranked it up and with the clutch down it took off.I put the adjustment back like it was and now it will go in gear but it will travel 4ft in power when you press in the clutch,this has me asking for help. Thanks

·
honestjohn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the come back, I just went out and blocked it down.The part I could not figure was it worked better when it had 2to3 inches of play than it did when it han 3/4 inch of play. I just readjusted it and blocked it down I hope this works. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Is the cotter key in the weep hole in the bottom of your case? It could be that your clutch is oil soaked causing it to stick.

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
I hope this is not your problem but it brings to mind a problem that an old boy I know had with his Jeep. Seems like the clutch was slow to release, much like the problem you're having. What he failed to tell us was that a few days earlier he had the Jeep stuck in a muddy slurry and let it idle while he hooked up a tow strap to his buddies truck. All the time the Jeep was running and vibrating it was allowing the slurry to seep into the clutch housing filling it with the slurry. So when the clutch was depressed the slurry was causing the disk to rotate with the pressure plate. Even though much of the water drained, enough remained to cause problems. He wound up replacing the clutch.
Neither the Jeep nor the N clutch housings are sealed.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Quick question......What is that cotter pen for down at the bottom? All I see is the two ends bent out with the head inside the bell housing

·
Old 'n Cheap
175 Posts
The cotter pin is to keep the hole cleaned out and open. The hole is to let any oil or moisture seep out so it does not foul the clutch. The oil could be coming from the motor through the rear seal or from the transmission through the transmission seal.
That's my story and I'm stickin to it...unless someone tells me different.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
The cotter pin is to keep the hole cleaned out and open. The hole is to let any oil or moisture seep out so it does not foul the clutch. The oil could be coming from the motor through the rear seal or from the transmission through the transmission seal.
That's my story and I'm stickin to it...unless someone tells me different.
:congrats:We have a WINNER! :congrats:

·
Old 'n Cheap
175 Posts
:congrats:We have a WINNER! :congrats:
The only thing I know for sure and it made me a winner. I just knew it would come in handy some day. :trink39:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts