My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I pull off the clutch hub (the inner clutch part that spins)? Do I need some kind of puller to get the oil seal out first and will the hub slide out then?

I undid the snap ring but there seems to be another step or tool needed.

On my forward clutch there is a lip around the lower face of this that I'd like to file down so the whole face is flat again. Would be humongously easier if I had that hub clamped in a vise don't you know.

thanks

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
In every hub that I have seen that was worn, the face of it was no longer true. I just trued up the face of a pair this week. One was out by .012 and the other was out by .017. It was easy to true them on a metal lathe.

The hub is indeed held into the case with snap rings. To remove the hub, the transmission has to be disassembled. Figure about 12-16 hrs of work for someone who has never done it before.

My advice is to wait until the PTO clutch needs to be replaced and then take the hubs to a machinist and have them trued. It should take about 5 minutes to do each one. If you ask nicely, I am sure one of the members here would do it for free.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both for that info. Think I'll wait before plucking that tranny cover off. It's only leaking a tiny bit at one seal and I can live with it. Now the ******* side of me wants to just take off the outer clutch parts and hold a file against the clutch hub while it is spinning. Think I could take that little lip down pretty quick!

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Don't bother with the lip. It isn't going to matter as long as the clutch remains mated with the hub.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well lackaday. I thought the inner ran the outer. Shows you how much attention I've been paying! And I'm going to leave well enough alone since the friction material and the iron are now "mating" nicely together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.