My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Thanks for the thread! Who knew I had a fine growth of "desirable" clover in my lawn. I have a whole new perspective on the heterogeneity of my turf!

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Whenever a clover bloom appears in the lawn, My bride will often say, "Say isn't clover considered a weed, how does that look for someone who is a lawn care professional". I reply, "Well thank you Honey for noticing."

Pics or it didn't happen: Not this was early in the Spring when we got the new livestock, (Beau, the biscuit eater.(

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
Whenever a clover bloom appears in the lawn, My bride will often say, "Say isn't clover considered a weed, how does that look for someone who is a lawn care professional". I reply, "Well thank you Honey for noticing."

Pics or it didn't happen: Not this was early in the Spring when we got the new livestock, (Beau, the biscuit eater.(
Just tell her, you know the old saying .. "The Carpenter's house is the last one finished"

·
Make Better Mowers
2,007 Posts
Just tell her, you know the old saying .. "The Carpenter's house is the last one finished"
............and the cobbler's children go without shoes!

·
Make Better Mowers
2,007 Posts
When I was old enough to mow grass, my Dad would say, "If it's green, mow it!" And you know, he was right......if you get it all to the same height, it looks good (for a day or two).

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Got a lawn experiment going on one side is mowed at the highest my mower can go and the other side is mowed one notch above the very lowest. I keep hearing that if you mow as high up as you can it chases weeds away the low side is to see how the lawn will handle mowing low.
Keep in mind Iv never done anything to this lawn since I’ve moved here, no seed, no spray, only earth work and dumped the thatch from the front lawn on it. The part with the test gets equal sun and shade so the whole test is probably not equivalent for the whole back yard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,896 Posts
:swow:Mowing short will not kill, set back, harm, or even hinder Creeping Charlie. More's the pity.:tango_face_devil:

·
Kioti SCUT
343 Posts
I've been doing White Dutch Clover for years. Once a year I order a 50 lb bag of inoculated White Dutch Clover seed from OutsidePride.com.

The regular price is $149.99 plus $29.90 shipping to CT. But I used coupon code RETURN and save $15.00. So my final cost is $164.89 for 50 lbs.

The seed is tiny, and 50 lbs will overseed all of my 1 acre lawn. The inoculated seed has a coating that absorbs water and helps it grow. I overseed in September.

One important thing - anything that kills dandelions will also kill clover. So I can't use any weed & feed products that kill dandelions. I use a little straight fertilizer, and pull up the dandelions by hand. Crabgrass preventer products are still fine to use.

My whole lawn is a mix of clover and grass. It looks really nice. grows slow, and resists drought. Cal

·
Make Better Mowers
2,007 Posts
I've been doing White Dutch Clover for years. Once a year I order a 50 lb bag of inoculated White Dutch Clover seed from OutsidePride.com.

The regular price is $149.99 plus $29.90 shipping to CT. But I used coupon code RETURN and save $15.00. So my final cost is $164.89 for 50 lbs.

The seed is tiny, and 50 lbs will overseed all of my 1 acre lawn. The inoculated seed has a coating that absorbs water and helps it grow. I overseed in September.

One important thing - anything that kills dandelions will also kill clover. So I can't use any weed & feed products that kill dandelions. I use a little straight fertilizer, and pull up the dandelions by hand. Crabgrass preventer products are still fine to use.

My whole lawn is a mix of clover and grass. It looks really nice. grows slow, and resists drought. Cal
You really shouldn't need any fertilizer at all. Clover produces nitrogen.

·
Kioti SCUT
343 Posts
You really shouldn't need any fertilizer at all. Clover produces nitrogen.
I still throw a little down just for the phosphorus, potassium, and crabgrass preventer. Cal

·
Parts collector
2,884 Posts

:thThumbsU

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Thumbs up on that. I’m going to make a order around the first of September. Told the fiancé that I spend to much money and time in the yard. I want something that will look nice and go a while without mowing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I even thought about Irish moss but I don’t think my soil is cut out for that it’s stays dry when the rain finally backs off and the places I’d place it get shady from the afternoon onwards

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
Irish moss needs quite a bit of water and prefers morning sun only...

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
929 Posts
I'm trying white clover for a north side of house shady ground cover. It looks promising but, interestingly enough, doesn't seem to bloom the first season. Around here in Minnesota it is available at the Federated Coop stores and is marketed as deer browse for food plots. I use the red clover (which grows to about 18" tall in my small unmowed field.

I also have some creeping charlie seed (!) to add to the ground cover as I finish the landscape grading. I have unwanted creeping charlie and white clover in some areas of the better lawn that get knocked back with Trimec.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've seeded white clover into lawn seed after putting up the metal building. Looks nice, bees like it and it lets me know when to mow. Creeping Charlie is a bad actor and makes for a terrible lawn (despite the good odor and that bees like it). I am now selectively covering parts of what was once lawn of grass but now 90% charlie. In a few months of ugly sheet plastic it completely eliminates everything (not toads and worms tho) and then I till it and roll out sod. If the expanse is too big and the season right, I seed it. And keep on the look out for charlie.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Clover seed has a hard outershell. The reason the plant is so hardy is because the seeds have a lower germination rate than other plants. The inoculant is usually a micro organism that helps break down the outer shell and improves germination rate. Soaking the seeds as with corn for a few hours or maybe over night in drier conditions will also help. Just wear nitrile or latex gloves and closed toe shoes handling the inoculent or you could end up with a small fungul problem on your hands. Pun intended.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts