My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Iv been kicking the idea and googling the idea of over seeding clover in my back yard. It trash anyway I let it grow, many weed and the soil is mostly gravel from an old alley way that’s no longer in use. Has any else thrown white clover in the mix or have any idea as to why this would be a bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Where do you live as there may be some other ground covers you could use.

A suggestion would be to break up the old packed earth and other from the alley with a pull behind box blade using the teeth. Light passes over that will help to get the soil loose again.

·
Parts collector
2,772 Posts
Sounds like a GREAT idea. First off yes it's great for the soil, second I think it has a good look to it, and third honey bees love it. You could do a mix of white and purple also. The bees will thrive on both of those.

Then you could get one of these https://www.amazon.com/s?k=flow+hive&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4pW5ssGy4wIV5v_jBx3AeAgvEAAYASAAEgLEw_D_BwE&hvadid=241655742218&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9006783&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=3318448368019999380&hvtargid=aud-676677759524%3Akwd-105621207187&hydadcr=26614_9892224&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_73h6vyd61w_e and have your own honey. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahah I’m not into making my own honey although it could be a passive income lol.
My main reasons are that it spreads, frets itself, and grows low which would be less mowing. God save the honeybees. White is preferred i don’t know if the purple would grow tall or not. Every thing Iv read says purple grows to about 3-4” like Iv seen in the hayfield I could be wrong

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
The purple clover around here grows tall. (It's called red clover, here) I mow around patches of it when it's in bloom... I also do this with the wild daisy I have around here and a few other wildflowers I leave for the pollinators.

So, yeah... I have clumps of wildflowers in my yard.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The purple clover around here grows tall. (It's called red clover, here) I mow around patches of it when it's in bloom... I also do this with the wild daisy I have around here and a few other wildflowers I leave for the pollinators.

I planted Ohio wild flowers (not the devils lettuce) in our flower beds and it’s actually nice to look at.
My front yard is my hobby deep green Kentucky blue grass and a few other grasses in spots. My back yard however is where the swing set is and the veggie garden also the fire pit and the scrap metal pile

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
My yard is overrun with white clover but not by choice. I don't much care for the all the white flowers although the bees like them.

Have you looked into microclover?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My yard is overrun with white clover but not by choice. I don't much care for the all the white flowers although the bees like them.

Have you looked into microclover?

Microclover seed is super expensive. Im sure it quality stuff but I’m on a budget and Iv found 5 pounds goes for $30-$40 and that’s really all I need

·
Administrator
13,623 Posts
We've tried to get micro-clover at least three times now, frankly I'm beginning to think its a scam as every time we've planted what they call micro-clover we get, well, macro-clover. Usually just the standard white clover. Not that I mind too much, because yes, the bees love it and its great for the soil (as numerous other people have already mentioned) but... it grows so thick and juicy, if its in the middle of my lawn, it bungs up my bagger something fierce. We're working on having it as a ground cover planted between the concrete patio slabs we're putting down in our mini-orchard. I feel much better about the lack of micro-clover now that I have Bambi, my Deere push mower. I mow the clover at least once a week in our orchard with the push mower.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have some clover by my garage door and if it wasn’t for the weeds in it I think I could get by mowing it once every two weeks which is fine by me.
I’m thinking I would have to totally kill everything in the back and start from scratch. I know clover will choke out other weeds but the charley and ragweed are thick in there. Then again maybe the clover will choke it out too

·
Parts collector
2,772 Posts

Awesome!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
You know, if you are all that enthused about having white and purplish white flowers all through your lawn, one could plant bindweed or perennial morning glory. Within a season, or two, the tiny vines will be all through the lawn. [sarc]

·
Administrator
13,623 Posts
You know, if you are all that enthused about having white and purplish white flowers all through your lawn, one could plant bindweed or perennial morning glory. Within a season, or two, the tiny vines will be all through the lawn. [sarc]
Secretly, quietly, I find the flowers on many thistle plants to be absolutely beautiful... Especially the really nice purple ones! However, I also find that for some reason, no one wants to use the lawn at all once I get enough of the flowers blooming. :)

·
Parts collector
2,772 Posts
Secretly, quietly, I find the flowers on many thistle plants to be absolutely beautiful... Especially the really nice purple ones! However, I also find that for some reason, no one wants to use the lawn at all once I get enough of the flowers blooming. :)
:sidelaugh

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Call it what you want after poking through my back lawn every thing Iv read and seen looks to be holding true. Clover chokes weeds. At least in my back yard. It looks like where the clover is not present there is a lot of creeping charley. Where the clover is thick in places it seems to be mostly just clover and grass.
I believe they are into something here

1 - 20 of 74 Posts