I'm about to purchase a ZTR, residential use, 1.5 acres, mostly flat but have a sloped detention pond mostly 10-15 degrees but one spot is 20 deg slope. I definitely want the steering wheel control, so looking at the various MTD models (Cub Cadet, Toro, Craftsman brands). I have lots of trees hence lots of shade, so I sometimes have to mow when grass is damp especially in spring. I do NOT bag when mowing and do NOT mulch.
1. Is a twin-blade model (42" or smaller deck) less likely to clog than a wider, triple-blade model (48" and up)?
2. Is a stamped deck less likely to clog than a fabricated deck?
(I currently use a 10-yr old Husqvarna lawn tractor, YTH2448, 48" triple-blade stamped deck ... it clogs more than I'd like, when grass is slightly damp)
Also, I use the mower for leaf pickup in the fall. That time of year, everything is dry, so I have no problem with the deck clogging when sucking up leaves. Any preference/advice for number of blades and deck type for sucking up leaves?
1. Would a twin-blade model do a cleaner job of moving the leaves into the bagger?
2. Would a stamped deck be better than fabbed, for leaf removal?
3. Best type of blade for leaf pickup? High-lift (to blow them into the bagger)? or mulching (to shred them before they get blown into bagger)?
Any advice/experience appreciated.