My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Catchy Title, hey?

I am at a loss. I have a GT275 with the Kaw 17 hp. I've had an intermittent concern, not a problem I think.

When going to start it to cut the lawn, when turning the key, I will get a click-all dash lights light up, several times, then it turns over the motor and starts right away.

I don't think it's a battery as it has power to start, don't know where else to look or what to look for.

Anyone else have this happen to their JD? What did you find?

Again, I don't know where to go to troubleshoot as it will do the clicking a couple of times and then start. Battery?

Thanks, if you have a suggestion, I am all ears.

Have a great day,
SteveG

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Check all connections from battery all the way down to starter, even the ground cable that could have rust under it and is making a poor connection. If all checks out, then if you got a auto zone take the battery to them and have them test it, it`s free.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Check all your electrical connections first Steve. ALL OF THEM.
Also check your battery's charge and your charging system output.

Barring loose connections, you may have a starter solenoid on the way out.

·
Addictionado
97 Posts
Not sure with your model but 3 of my 318's have an aux starter relay that can use power directly from the battery(thru the relay) to the starter solenoid. The problem is caused by voltage drop across numerous contacts, connections and age. If the solenoid on your starter and battery check out OK you might consider a 5-10 dollar and 45min time investment to (hopefully)solve this problem

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not sure with your model but 3 of my 318's have an aux starter relay that can use power directly from the battery(thru the relay) to the starter solenoid. The problem is caused by voltage drop across numerous contacts, connections and age. If the solenoid on your starter and battery check out OK you might consider a 5-10 dollar and 45min time investment to (hopefully)solve this problem
Agreed.Go to your Dealer and tell them you need part number Am107421.That should take care of the problem

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed.Go to your Dealer and tell them you need part number Am107421.That should take care of the problem

I did a quick internet search and it doesnt say it is for my model tractor. My Kawasaki is Model FC540V. I don't see where it would work with the GT.

I will go through and check all connections: tight, no corrosion, clean, etc. I have an autozone close by and will get the battery tested. It is old, just think it odd that it clicks a time or two and then fires right up.

Thanks for the suggestions and will let you know if I find anything.

SteveG

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,933 Posts

I did a quick internet search and it doesnt say it is for my model tractor. My Kawasaki is Model FC540V. I don't see where it would work with the GT.

I will go through and check all connections: tight, no corrosion, clean, etc. I have an autozone close by and will get the battery tested. It is old, just think it odd that it clicks a time or two and then fires right up.

Thanks for the suggestions and will let you know if I find anything.

SteveG
I have the relay kit on my JD 160 (Kawi FB460v)... Herd_of_Deeres (whom I'm surprised we haven't, ha ha, HERD from yet) has the relay kit on all of his 1xx-series machines, his 180 has the same FC540v as you have, I believe. You are correct, I don't see that PN listed as one that would be an option for the GT275 in JD's online parts catalog... Having said that, I don't see any ignition relay included in the harness listed in the parts catalog... Maybe it SHOULD be there but JD hasn't included it as an option? Hopefully someone else with a GT275 will be along to confirm or deny that, as the symptoms you describe fit exactly what problem that relay deals with....

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts
I would agree with D-Dogg and maybe your starter solenoid is going out. Or maybe you have a spot on the starter itself that isn't making good contact with the brushes, my father referred to this as a "flat spot" on the armature. He would pull an electric motor and clean the brushes and the armature and that would normally fix the problem.

·
Registered
378 Posts
(I did a quick internet search and it doesnt say it is for my model tractor. My Kawasaki is Model FC540V. I don't see where it would work with the GT.)
It will hook up the same way on kohler and kawasaki that have the solenoid made to the starter.I have put hundreds of these things on many different model kawasaki's

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Yeah my 318 used to take 1- 4- 6 clicks depending where it landed on stop, to start it.( even after the dealer installed a "booster" ( not what he called it ) BUT it always did eventually start.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Wow - I guess I'm late to this one. Yes, get the starter relay kit. Perhaps it doesn't list it as an option as the electrical connectors might be slightly different. Since it only reroutes the solenoid power around the key switch there should be no difference between GT and LT application of the same motor. This is what it looks like installed in my 185 with the FC540V motor:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it sounds like that's what I'm a gonna try. I ran the mower today in the blazing heat and it did it a few times.

I've also had an intermittent problem where it runs fine then begins to lose power. I have to choke it to keep it running until I can get it back to the garage. Didnt work this time. The poor JD died on the side of the hill. Changed the filter, no go. Took the battery off and got tested at Autozone, battery tested fine. Got home, hooked it all back up and ran perfectly.

Now, it will probably run perfect the rest of the summer. I'm ok with that!!!

I will get that relay ordered tomorrow and see if it helps.

Any ideas why it loses power and refuses to start? Could it be vapor locking?
I don't know if something happened while I was gone or if it got a chance to cool off and something else happened. Don't know. I don't believe it's a fuel line as it's fairly new.

Suggestions,

Thanks again to you all for the help, much appreciated.

SteveG

·
3,045 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm having that exact same problem with my 316. Everything is new,every ignition component,battery, battery cables, and starter. I went to turn it over today,and that's what I get,click,click,then it will crank. I did some info searching and also found out about the starting improvement kit. I'm also going to replace the ignition switch. I've read from age the contacts inside the switch start getting weak,and will cause the intermittent cranking.

I just got this tractor a few months ago,and that's how it started then. I attributed it to a combination of a weak battery,and a dying starter. It had a few hydro and oil leaks,so I completely disassembled the thing,and am just now at the point of getting it all back together. I guess I went and bought items that I really didn't need,ie,starter and battery. Oh well,I look at it that now it has all those new parts and hopefully I won't have any electrical problems for the rest of this tractors life.:fing32:

Greg

·
Addictionado
97 Posts
You don't have to buy the relay at the dealer, many auto parts stores will have them they are used for relaying fog and headlight circuits, 30amp is plenty. You can probably get one at Harbour Freight for cheap

·
3,045 Posts
You don't have to buy the relay at the dealer, many auto parts stores will have them they are used for relaying fog and headlight circuits, 30amp is plenty. You can probably get one at Harbour Freight for cheap
True, you can get the basic relay at any autoparts store. Then it becomes a question of how pretty you want to make the install. By the time you add in the crimp on connectors to mate up to the various terminals you can be up to ~$15. I usually tell people to go to the dealer because I don't know their skill levels and the dealer kit is so easy even a Caveman can do it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"is so easy even a Caveman can do it" sponsored by Geico!!

For me, it's just a little more and I know that it won't cause problems downstream of the relay. Plus, it's prettier!!!!

GOod advice though.

Steve

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It appears the "kit" doesnt have a lot of connections, are they readily accessible? How long should it take to install? I'm just making sure I don't have to pull a lot of parts off the mower to install.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hopped up on my "new" 212 yesterday, turned it over and got the dreaded click. Having read this thread 2 days ago I assumed I needed the same thing. So after a couple hours of scavenging my garage/basement/ and Jeep for wire, terminals, and a relay /socket I got to constructing the harness. Got all my terminals crimped and soldered onto my leads for the harness, plugged the relay into the socket then was ready to install it onto the tractor.

So first step was to disconnect the battery terminals. When I went to remove the positive terminal I saw that the bolt that held the terminal closed onto the post was so corroded that it was nearly burnt in half in the center. So I cleaned up the battery posts, and cut the old terminal off and installed a new one I had laying in the parts bin.

Mission accomplished ! I never even put the relay in , as it fires right up every time now since I replaced the 25 year old battery terminal.

One of these days I'll learn to check the simple crap first before tearing into a project. :fing20:

·
Registered
14 Posts
It appears the "kit" doesnt have a lot of connections, are they readily accessible? How long should it take to install? I'm just making sure I don't have to pull a lot of parts off the mower to install.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Steve
  1. one goes to the battery + to supply current so thats easy enough
  2. one goes to a ground screw, so thats easily accesible as well
  3. one goes to the starter to actually turn the engine over (this one is easy to get to also (on my 212 it is anyways)
  4. the last one goes to the ignition switch to trigger the relay, this one may take a little bit of searching to confirm you have the right wire

(or you could see my above post^ and make sure your battery terminals/ ground cables are all clean and making good contact before you make more work for yourself) LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts