My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am just about done with painting the deck on my 8401 that I got from cityboy with Rustoleum high heat paint. It looks much better than the Dupli-color I put on my 10400. The Rustoleum has a much brighter finish.

I want it to look good, but since I will be using this mower, once it's done, I am just wondering if a clear coat will add much protection. Any comments? Thanks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yes an application of clear coat will be beneficial. From my past experiences the raw paint can develop cracks on the deck over time and use as well as occasional chipping. The clear coat makes the paint much more durable and resistant to fuel. I haven't painted a deck in quite a while since I discovered that paint doesn't hold a candle to a quality powder coat job. It will cost you a bit more but well worth it if you plan to use the mower.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RCB19,

Thanks. I bought several cans of the high heat Rustoleum clear to begin with, but it looks so much better than the Duli-color without the clear, I was wondering if it would be worth the time and trouble.

I will give it a couple of days to cure and wet sand before I put on the clear. Any other advice? Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts