My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to clear up space and bring in some extra money. I have two sets of hubcaps from Toro 260 series. All of them have degraded finish of the chrome plus two caps got grease coating the inside. It’s really stubborn trying to get it off. Any suggestions for getting the grease off? Any suggestions for cleaning up the chrome finish?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
I would use use a plastic putty knife to get the bulk of the grease out and then soak them for a day in a mixture of water and Dawn dish washing detergent.

I'm not sure on the chrome though. I can't tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks like the chrome is no longer there in the small dark spots and all that's there is rust peeking through from the metal behind. If that's the case then the only way to make it right would be to clean them up good and send them off to a plating shop to get them re-plated. They will remove any surface rust before re-plating so the new finish will be good, but they'll charge you a lot more if they have to clean up that grease first.

·
Registered
231 Posts
They're pretty cool.
Clean the fronts up the best you can with some steel wool and the backs with a degreaser. A diehard WH guy will love them..!

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you do with the aluminum foil?

·
2,117 Posts
Any chrome finish will come off with any abrasive....you can get them good looking, but they will tarnish right away again because you will be removing any protective coating...I would try using Never Dull....I agree with steddy's method...Purple Power from Walmart is less than 5 bucks a gallon or Awesome Orange may dissolve that grease...acetone would do it, but it is kind of hazardous to work with and if you use the covers like a bowl and pour a bunch in and let it soak, it will be difficult to dispose of properly...gas is a little dangerous, although effective....diesel fuel or kerosene should do it and not be as dangerous

·
Registered
346 Posts
Doesn’t matter how fine the steel wool is you will be putting fine scratches in the chrome. As mentioned, Never dull works good without scratching. Didn’t know they still made the stuff haven’t seen it in years around here.

·
2,117 Posts
I got it at Walmart....but I think yo can get it on Amazon too...it is made in a small facory / warehouse not far from where I live...a can lasts a long time....years
Home Page

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the Nevrdull & a degreaser spray at Walmart. I’ll get to it before the end of the week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts