My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like a real clean underneath of deck.being this is my first JD i thought the hose thing on top of deck would make life easy,well, that water hose thing does not work on removing the grass underneath..

so, i am back to laying on ground with a pressure washer again, i dont mind doing it on my car ramps but it seems the ramps are not high enough to do a good job.

anyone have better idea on how to clean underneath better or how to get front end up higher.some suggested buying truck ramps which will get front end up hgigher to get at underneath better.the grass gets so hard that only pressure washer will get it off after each cutting,its like cement under there.

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
Yeah, that hose fittings would be as good as gold if only they worked.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that hose fittings would be as good as gold if only they worked.
you are right,the only thing its good for is to wet grass/mud to soften it before you take a pressure washer to do job right.i even had hard time with pressure washer getting my grass off,sometimes its a bear to get it off but if you leave it on, it turns to cement ,i swear.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i used the port washout once and then realized its pointless.
after every mow i get on my hands and knees and spray under the deck with the hose. i have to figure out a way of getting the mower elevated.
i was thinking of taking a jack and jacking it up from the front side.
in the front there is metal bracket in the front of the tracker, does anyone know if this would be strong enough to place a jack on to get the x300 elevated?

·
Registered
873 Posts
it worked OK for me. Maybe there is a happy medium between heavy wet garss you cut or very dry grass where the deal works best. Seems claen afetr I used it.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
anyone have better idea on how to clean underneath better .
Take the deck off. It might be a pain the first few times, but you'll get a rhythm and it will get easy. This way you can set it on end, or upside down and not have to lie on your back with a stick, exhausting your supply of expletives.

The hose attachment is a nice thought, but pretty much useless. I've used mine once, the first time I tried to clean the deck without taking it off.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i saw a ramp built out over bank at top edge.you drive your mower out on it and you can use hose or pressure washer to clean bottom of deck.i am thinking of that idea but i saw a set of truck ramps that they use for loading 4 wheelers that get your front end way up in air.

guy said he paid like 30 dollars at HARBOR FRIEGHT FOR SET.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've had mixed results. After cutting tall grass I washed Alot of grass out from underneath. It always seems to turn the discharge water dark green and I wonder if maybe there is some benefit like washing away the acid's the grass contains.

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
I don't know if it is just my deck design, or the fact that I only mow when dry, but I don't have any grass sticking to the bottom of my deck. Maybe you guys should buy suburbans ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Take the deck off. It might be a pain the first few times, but you'll get a rhythm and it will get easy. This way you can set it on end, or upside down and not have to lie on your back with a stick, exhausting your supply of expletives.
This is exactly what I was thinking while reading this thread. In the amount of time it takes to get the ramps out, drive the mower up on it, and then be uncomfortable trying to reach under the deck, you could have the deck off. Stand that deck up and clean it from a much more comfortable position. Take a putty knife or windshield scraper to it if need be. For easier to remove stuff, get a stiff bristle brush.

Taking the deck off also makes it easier to grease those zerks while your at it.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I can't believe you guys are missing the entire point of the "deck wash ports"! Using AFTER you mow is pointless, you're supposed to use them WHILE you mow.. Sheesh!:D

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can't believe you guys are missing the entire point of the "deck wash ports"! Using AFTER you mow is pointless, you're supposed to use them WHILE you mow.. Sheesh!:D
Harold, your stories remind me of a Mini-Cooper. They may be interesting, and they may be different. But I don't think I'd buy one!

:00000060:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i saw guy today take a come -a - long and rope and throw it over tree limb in his yard.he hooked it on front of his JD with hood off.he then lifted up front of mower and took his pressure washer and cleaned the underneath of deck.
another person put a rope on a bracket he made for his garage and did same thing.

both ideas took about 5 minutes to hook up and lift front of mower up in air.

question is bottom of our decks powder coated.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I really don't mind removing the deck every once in awhile to clean the underside. I use a power washer and it works well. My grand dad told me to spray cooking oil on the bottom of the deck. I tried this out when I pulled both decks on my LT and my GT. I'll take a peak to see if it worked. Anyone ever tried this before?

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Harold, your stories remind me of a Mini-Cooper. They may be interesting, and they may be different. But I don't think I'd buy one!

:00000060:
:sidelaugh:D:D:D A Mini is a perfectly fine automobile, I had nothing whatsoever to do with it's design or manufacture. (No matter what they told you at the Kia dealer!)

I think that some decks are easier to remove than others... Some decks are far easier to remove than the owners think they are. But simple ramps whether auto type or made from 2x lumber will get the front of a machine up in the air fairly well at a 30º-40º angle. The problem comes with deck access taken up by the ramp.

Maybe with a bit of consultation with Uncle Manual and some ingenuity a quick removal process can be arrived at for models other than JD who, in the GT department anyway, have the deck off/on process down to a fast and easy "T".

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i just tried my come-a -long on my clothes pole in yard,it lifted up my front end perfect,high enough to clean with pressure washer but i dont know if i would stick my head under it but for cleaning the grass, its best i have tried, so far.

some use a HOIST same way to get front end up,i like come-a long idea.it took me about 5 minutes to hook everything up and get it up in air.

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
The man with the right plan here! ^

Thats what I plan to do on mine...when it builds up enough to make it worth while.

~F~

1 - 20 of 64 Posts