My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Murray 46370X60B and it is filthy. There is at least 1/4" of goop and crud on the motor and most of the bottom of the machine.

Can I pressure wash it or will I damage the solenoid/fuse hanging behind the motor. I can't imaging all that crud caked on the motor helps it run any cooler

·
Banned
465 Posts
Pressure washer won't hurt anything, even the solenoid or fuse. It can remove paint if your too long in one area. And wear some kind of eye protection.

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I pressure wash all my lawn equipment, no problems and does a great job. I like to use car ramps for water run off and better access to the front end and underneath the tractor. Just a suggestion if you happen to have a pair.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do.

I went to change the oil and the cap was frozen on and the whole pipe unscrewed from the case so oil drained all over the deck and belt and pulley, and everything else.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I usually clean the engine area on my tractors twice per year or as needed by spraying engine degreaser on the area, let it sit for a little while, then hose it off. I try not to wash my equipment too often, because I don't like to get water into the mandrels and other areas. I always blow off the entire tractor after each mowing with my backpack blower and clean out grass buildup on the underside of the deck as needed. This system seems to work well for me. The '02 Murray tractor still has the original mandrels and belts after 9 seasons of mowing.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
High pressure spray is the only way to go! I don't believe you can hurt anything including the mandrels. The bearings are sealed. But I like the idea of the leaf blower to get the excess water off. I just use the air hose and and blow gun tip from air compressor. BUt I tend to have to wait for the air compressor to pump back up. With my leaf bnlower running only at 200 mph, I'd think that'd remove the water pretty well.

·
Registered
690 Posts
the only problem I had was I pressure washed the id tag off the back of one of my newer ones. The older ones had a steel plate, the ones that are stickers come right off with a pressure washer.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I should have added this on my last post, but didn't think about it at the time. I learned my lesson about excessive lawn tractor washing at an early age. When I was young (about 12 and younger) I did most of the mowing with the old '80 Murray 11/36. I used to wash the tractor after about every use and towel dry it. Finally, dad made me quit doing it after we had about 2 or 3 sets of mandrels sieze up. One time we had a flat rear tire and couldn't get the rim off because it was rust-welded to the axle. Finally after a can or two of rust penetrating spray and a torch to heat up the wheel, we finally broke it loose from the axle. I know this didn't happen on it's own, as the tractor was always kept in the garage. It was a product of my excessive washing. We never had any more issues like that again after he told me to quit washing the tractor so often. I probably only wash mine twice per year, but I do wipe it down at least twice per month.

·
Registered
690 Posts
^thats funny.

I do blow mine off with compressed air after every use, but having 2 80 gallon air tanks makes that easier. It is important to keep crud off.

·
Registered
353 Posts
the only problem I had was I pressure washed the id tag off the back of one of my newer ones. The older ones had a steel plate, the ones that are stickers come right off with a pressure washer.
Yep I feel the pain there Dude!:fing20:

I try to stamp an aluminum plate with the model number and other pertinent information and rivet that to the chassis somewhere handy besides keeping a shop log with all that stuff recorded. For small equipment like chainsaws I use an electric engraving pen and scribe the model into the case.

I blow my stuff off after use with the leaf blower and pressure wash as needed. I blow the cuttings off before power washing as it makes less mess that way and now will probably blow dry the stuff afterwords:thThumbsU

Roger
Old, Tired, and Grumpy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts