My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, What is the best way to remove dried/caked grass clipping from under the deck. I was thinking of using a power washer but was worried that water might get into the bearings on the spindles. I am seeing some rust so I want to get it clean so I can paint. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I use a scraper to remove the largest/thickest parts and then follow up with a wire brush.:fing32:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I thought about getting water into the bearing too. I scraped as much of the crud off as I could and used the pressure washer afterwords. I tried to keep the water spray away from the spindles as much as possible during the wash. My GT262 had been used to mow a horse pasture in it's former life and pressure washing seemed to reactivate the odor! :sidelaugh

·
Registered
739 Posts
Pressure wash shouldn't hurt it.Just grease the spindles good afterward to drive any moisture out.You should put some rust killer on the rust,couple of coats,then get some bedliner coating,either can or spray and put it on thick.Puts a better barrier between the wet rotten grass and the steel, than paint.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you're going to paint it anyway, there are wire brushes with a 1/4" shank that work good with a power drill.

If you pressure wash it, just keep the jet spray away from the spindles and you should be ok. Then clean around the spindles by hand or with the drill brush I mentioned:fing32:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Scrape, power wash, grease spindles and dry it. slkpk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pressure wash shouldn't hurt it.Just grease the spindles good afterward to drive any moisture out.You should put some rust killer on the rust,couple of coats,then get some bedliner coating,either can or spray and put it on thick.Puts a better barrier between the wet rotten grass and the steel, than paint.

What is rust killer?

·
10K and Climbin!
12,355 Posts
What is rust killer?
This is what he is talking about: CLICK HERE

It converts rust to a paintable surface that is very resistant to rusting again. I've used this same stuff for many years on many decks and had great results. My dad bought 2 cases of this years ago and I'm down to my last bottle.. :eek:mg:

It's well worth the cost in the long run so pony up $$ and buy some.. :thThumbsU

·
MTF Member
152 Posts
Doesn't anyone clean their deck after every mowing like I do? I always clean the underside of my deck with a hard plastic scraper when ever I finished mowing. The accumulated green grass comes right off. Never left any buildup to mold or harden. No other special treatment. 30+ years and still using the same mower deck with only surface rust on the underside. And the non-greaseable sealed bearings are still original on my 46" deck on my JD318. Of course it's always been kept under roof in my pole building when not in use.

·
Murph
1,930 Posts
Scrape, power wash, grease spindles and dry it. slkpk
After I do this plus I also turn mower on, engage PTO and let the deck blades run for several minutes, that helps dry things out under there.

·
Registered
739 Posts
What is rust killer?
Otherwise known as rust converter.Farm stores,automotive stores,maybe Walmart too.The bedliner stuff I used was Rustoleum brand in a quart can,brushed on.Here's a pic of the finished deck on my 40+ year old simplicity deck.

·
GO TIGERS!
1,210 Posts
Thats amazing:eek:mg:...how often?

·
Super Moderator
15,495 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Doesn't anyone clean their deck after every mowing like I do? I always clean the underside of my deck with a hard plastic scraper when ever I finished mowing. The accumulated green grass comes right off. Never left any buildup to mold or harden. No other special treatment. 30+ years and still using the same mower deck with only surface rust on the underside. And the non-greaseable sealed bearings are still original on my 46" deck on my JD318. Of course it's always been kept under roof in my pole building when not in use.
Interesting. I've NEVER cleaned under a mower deck. I owned 2 or 3 push mowers over 30 years for my smaller lawns until each wore out. Engines wore out, and cheaper to buy new than buy engines. None had any rust to my knowledge.

I bought a John Deere (sold under Scotts name) 12 years ago. I decided last year to get a new John Deere (now X500). The Scotts 54" deck had no rust, and very little dried grass accumulation when he picked it up. I use mulching blades, and only mow when the grass is dry. A long rain spell can cause me to have to mow twice due to grass height, but mulching blades clog up trying to mulch wet grass.

Maybe I've just been lucky. I take the deck off annually for maintenance (sharpen blades etc.) and have never seen anything other than a minor layer of grass sometimes, that if I worry about, I scrape off with a paint scraper.

I did try to use the cleanout hose attachment on the x500 once. It looked like the water was cleaning the heck out under the deck for about a square foot immediately around the attachment and that was it. I called my John Deere salesman, who confirmed that was a marketing gimmick, and knew of know one who thought it was of any value.

I'm not disagreeing with any of the previous posters who need to do the extra work to keep their deck clean. Perhaps its the grass type here (mainly tall fescue) or maybe its when I hit the few areas that suffer a sparse layer of grass - the deck gets a quick sandblasting.

·
GO TIGERS!
1,210 Posts
Interesting. I've NEVER cleaned under a mower deck. I owned 2 or 3 push mowers over 30 years for my smaller lawns until each wore out. Engines wore out, and cheaper to buy new than buy engines. None had any rust to my knowledge.

I bought a John Deere (sold under Scotts name) 12 years ago. I decided last year to get a new John Deere (now X500). The Scotts 54" deck had no rust, and very little dried grass accumulation when he picked it up. I use mulching blades, and only mow when the grass is dry. A long rain spell can cause me to have to mow twice due to grass height, but mulching blades clog up trying to mulch wet grass.

Maybe I've just been lucky. I take the deck off annually for maintenance (sharpen blades etc.) and have never seen anything other than a minor layer of grass sometimes, that if I worry about, I scrape off with a paint scraper.

I did try to use the cleanout hose attachment on the x500 once. It looked like the water was cleaning the heck out under the deck for about a square foot immediately around the attachment and that was it. I called my John Deere salesman, who confirmed that was a marketing gimmick, and knew of know one who thought it was of any value.

I'm not disagreeing with any of the previous posters who need to do the extra work to keep their deck clean. Perhaps its the grass type here (mainly tall fescue) or maybe its when I hit the few areas that suffer a sparse layer of grass - the deck gets a quick sandblasting.
:ditto:

I have the very same story. My 2001 Scotts 1642, not a speck of rust (won't climb a hill after an hour of running, but NO rust).

I tried the hose connection, just made a mess and I agree with all that has been posted about washing away lubrication and adding moisture:Stop:

As I review the posts from owners that I have learned to respect, I think to myself that there must be something to all this spraying with this and that, while adding a dab of SeaFoam under your arms to keep the camel fleas away.:dunno:

Logic tells me that if paint won't stick, then you are in effect sand blasting everytime you mow and that will keep the rust at bay. I think that if you put your GT away wet then you are asking for trouble.

I will continue to blow mine as clean as the blower will get it each time I mow, remove the deck from time to time and clean the caked on grass while making sure to send some special thoughts to the Engineer...(I really let him have it last night) while reinstalling my deck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ought into that marketing gimik and added the hose cleanout to my 175 / 38" deck, I dont know if it works or not ... I do wash the tractor and deck after almost every mowing (same with the edger and push mower). Every year I take the deck off and power wash it. I grease the spindle bearings to make sure there is no water on there. This year I am in the process of restoring the deck, when I disassembled the spindles I saw no evidence of water intrusion. So my vote is ... power wash it.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I have a couple areas in my yard with poor soil, little grass and lots of dirt, I also use my deck for mowing corn at the end of the season as a result the deck gets sand blasted, not even the paint remains for long:fing32:

Also keep the deck spindles grease, twice a year for me. My la130 I just sold has the original spindles on them (7 years old) in great shape, and only mild surface rust on the under side. I also agree the hose thingy doesn't really work.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I gave up on underbelly deck maintenance my third year. I used to scrape, sand and paint the rust areas. Now I just scrape twice a year with a chisel and hammer. I have alot of clay so it is like concrete. Yes I take off some paint but I quit worrying about it. I figure when my mower is 10 years old I may have the underneath sandblasted and repainted if it needs it and I plan to keep the mower another 10. If it falls apart after that, who cares time for a new mower anyway. Now I am very anal about other maintenance items like regular oil changes, fuel filter, air filter, greasing zerks etc. I even use fogging oil in cylinders every year before storage.

My FIL often teases me about being overly particular about maintenance. He sold a 18 year old Simplicity in 2003 that still ran and cut great. He sharpened the blades twice and scraped only on those times.

In conclusion, I find the underside of the deck just way too much work to keep in like new condition.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts