My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got into garden tractors a few years ago I also strayed watching YouTube videos about machining. After a few years of planning and some luck this past summer I purchased a Brown and Sharpe No 2 horizontal mill and a Clausing 5914 lathe. The mill will be a work in progress for a long time before it is ready to use. The Clausing on the other hand was a working large to start with, just needed some attention in the maintenance dept. I finally, with some help, found the time to get the maintenance done. Now I have a working lathe and even made a few chips. I figure in a few years I might be able to make something worth using!

Here is a video after we got all the work done to the lathe. I ended up with a chunk of brass rod stock and we chucked it up and had some fun!

Here is the finished product. A punch of sorts.

I’ll use this thread as a repository for my learning.

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
That's a fancy tool bit you got there, we used to have to grind our own tool bits, today they use these carbit inserts, you will learn a lot doing things yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Yeah, with I first starting using the lathe I inherited from my dad (big mistake that I didn't have him show me how to use it), I went to a local shop (BusyBeeTools), and the guy there recommended I buy a set of bits which were HSS tips at various angles, permanently attached to a large, cheap mount, and I promptly busted the tip off all of them learning how to use the lathe, and all of them had to be thrown away because there wasn't anything left to grind down to get a decent tip again without also grinding the mount down as well.

Switched to buying a couple pieces of HSS in various sizes, grind the tip down myself to what I need and they have lasted me for years.

If I have more work to do boring things out, I would consider getting boring tools with replaceable carbide tips, or try to find a better boring bar that will hold bits of HSS for doing it, as the one I have now has a set screw that I can't get out now.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
Nice set up Kyle. I'm sure it will come in very handy down the road.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I started off grinding my own tools out of HSS for my Atlas TH42 and its OEM lantern tool post. Couple years ago I bought a few index-able carbide bit holders and now they're my "go to"cutting bits.

I see you're still using the lantern tool post. They're fine, but you should stick to HSS bits for that old girl. If you are looking to spend some money on it, I would recommend you look into a Quick Change Tool post (QCTP) with the wedge style tightening mechanism. it makes the tool post much more rigid, with helps stave off chatter. they're also super easy to change bits (you change the holder that slides onto the QCTP) and it opens up lots of other possibilities.

For parting, I would recommend you remove the compound slide (if it has one) and make a solid plinth to hold your cutting tools. It make the assembly much, much more rigid and makes it much easier to part off stock. The added rigidity makes parting a "seal free" experience.

·
Super Moderator
13,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I’ve been playing with the lathe a good bit and learning a lot! Picked up an el-cheapo quick change took post and indexable carbide hook holders and bits.... lot the change from the old style tool post.

Also set out for my first real project. A friend needed a M8x1.25 threaded handle for a hydraulic valve. Lots of math and reading later and I found out you can use 20 tpi for an M8x1.25. Now oddly enough I have the correct die for this but it was only a matter of turning down the major diameter. But I went ahead and threaded on the lathe. First I practiced on brass to get the movements down. Then attempt one ended in failure after the part was 80+% complete! The second attempt was a success! Dropped the part in the mail and USPS promptly shoved it out of the bottom of the padded envelope (that I throughly tested my packaging prior to shipping and in the last 8 years I’ve shipped well over 1000 packages and only had two insurance claims...). Sooo third round was last night and the nut has a better fit this round.

First attempt at running a lathe while threading.... no correct size, but threads look good.

Here is where I learned to always support the end of the workpiece....

Success.... until USPS lost it....

Third attempt.... note the nub on the end that I used to support the workpiece...

·
WALTMART
191 Posts
When I first got into garden tractors a few years ago I also strayed watching YouTube videos about machining. After a few years of planning and some luck this past summer I purchased a Brown and Sharpe No 2 horizontal mill and a Clausing 5914 lathe. The mill will be a work in progress for a long time before it is ready to use. The Clausing on the other hand was a working large to start with, just needed some attention in the maintenance dept. I finally, with some help, found the time to get the maintenance done. Now I have a working lathe and even made a few chips. I figure in a few years I might be able to make something worth using!

Here is a video after we got all the work done to the lathe. I ended up with a chunk of brass rod stock and we chucked it up and had some fun!

Here is the finished product. A punch of sorts.

I’ll use this thread as a repository for my learning.
WOW, just noticed this thread and am in the works getting a MK3 Clausing model 100 up and running, All is good on it and so glad to find this!!! THANKS FOR THE POST and the great video, Will be watching and learning as you/we all learn, THANKS
Waltmart, (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

·
Super Moderator
26,422 Posts
Kyle, looks like you'll be hanging out your new sign soon, "Beef & Steel Shop", not sure I've seen that combo before!! 😁 Nice looking lathe, last time I played with one was high school, I wasn't too good at it then! Looking forward to see what you make with it.

·
WALTMART
191 Posts
Looks very familiar, Here is what it looked like after Clausing in Kalamazoo, Mi. looked at it and gave it a tune up, They as well helped with the bull gear and it works very well, Looking forward to using the lathe and will be following any info you may pass on, THANKS,

WALTMART😀

·
Super Moderator
13,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks very familiar, Here is what it looked like after Clausing in Kalamazoo, Mi. looked at it and gave it a tune up, They as well helped with the bull gear and it works very well, Looking forward to using the lathe and will be following any info you may pass on, THANKS,

WALTMART😀
Thats a nice looking lathe. That carriage just looks beefy! One thing I have found on this journey is to appreciate the styling of industrial equipment! So functional but also stylish at the same time. Equipment from the 40's, 50's, and 60's looks much better than the newer stuff.

I really miss using a lathe. Its been many years! I had a line on one years ago, but it fell through sadly..
Shop around of Facebook. You can get some decent deals there.... fairly often there are a lot of good package deals for decent money.

Looking good, Kyle. So many possibilities with a lathe in the arsenal.
Thanks! Yes, possibilities and lots of learning!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts