My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i'm convinced that the #1 enemy to classic tractors is ETHANOL! my H probably needs some tuning up, but i'm gonna give this seafoam a shot to help the fuel system. i'm figuring that in 1941 (year my H was built) there was no ethanol. and considering the guy i bought this from did actually use it, that new gas might have done some unpleasant things to the fuel system/engine. anyone else agree?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Hi Dan, I've used ethanol in my tractor for almost 20 years now with no ill effects, if your tractor has the original metal fuel line and a good gasket on the sediment bowl and gas cap there should be no problems. But if it has had a rubber fuel line installed and there is crud in the gas tank be aware that ethanol will loosen up any crud that's in the tank and if the rubber hose is not ethanol resistant it will swell may close off and will become unusable. I do recommend 89 octane as the 87 octane gas is mostly crap will so many additive to make is burn that its worthless and will go bad in the tank in a month or so, I have not found this to be the case with 89 octane have never had it go bad. My tractors sit all winter (Nov to April) and they start right up in the spring.
GB in MN
PS I am not endorsing ethanol in anyway I truly dislike the crap and think it is a boondoggle but this is what we now have.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it does have the original fuel line and the sediment bowl is clean. basically i think the 87 octane did looses some crap in the tank. should i try 89 octane next fill up? (maybe 5 gallons, im not putting 17 gallons of gas in)

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Hi Dan, the 89 will have ethanol in also but the actual gas is much better than the 87 octane at least around here in MN. Yea 5 / 10 gals I know what your saying about filling the tank. I guess I've been lucky but I have not had any problems when using ethanol gas its been that way for about 20 years here now, I do know that most all engines start harder with ethanol in the gas and in road vehicles the mileage goes down.
GB in MN

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Remember, octane was low when your tractor was made. It was only high during the musclecar heydays of the late 60-early 70's. Your compression is MUCH too low to need high octane unless you have tons of carbon.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
And to add, using high octane fuel in low compression engines leads to incomplete combustion of the fuel.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Hi 89 octane is not high octane fuel gasoline of the 50's 60's even into the 80's was always between 80/87 octane and was pure gasoline the only reason I advise 89 octane is it is a much better grade of gasoline VS the 87 that is sold are here. It is true that the higher octane fuels have a slower burn rate but that does not mean incomplete combustion it means that a hot spot such as carbon(which all engine have)will not ignite the fuel before the spark plug does. I have burned many gallons of 100 octane Av Gas in my Ford 8N and it run better on that and had more power than it will ever have on 87 ethanol fuel an excellent indicator of on burned fuel would be black sooty exhaust and with 100 octane the black goes away.
GB in MN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts