My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little old boat trailer that I removed the rotting wood from to start over. It has angle iron bolt on frames on each side for the springs but the angle iron keeps rusting. I see these bolt on spring hangers and think oh that looks simple, no drilling or welding. I don’t have a welder. I don’t see Northern Tool carrying them and I’ve looked on Ebay with no luck. The trailer has 1.75” wide springs and I installed a 2000 pound new axle in 2013. The most I would have on the trailer is one of my Toro 5xi tractors, deck, weights totaling around 1400-1500 pounds. Anyone here used those spring hangers?

Attachments

· tiny tractor big interest
746 Posts
I had a small trailer with them and our current pontoon galvanized boat trailer has them. Had no issue. I relocated the p'toon trailer axle forward some for better backing/turning when we first got it.

Search galvanized leaf hanger and many more will pop up. Seem to be commonly bolted on to boat trailers, at least to a certain size.

· Registered
1989 Ford 150 4x4, various lawn tractors
132 Posts
The bolt on hangers are meant for SMALL personal watercraft of a few hundred pounds.

It has angle iron bolt on frames on each side for the springs but the angle iron keeps rusting.
At the front and back of each angle where the U-bolts are, at the top of the frame should be welded metal to prevent the assembly/u-bolts from sliding backwards or forwards. If you are going to use bolt on hangers, with a 1500# load, you really need to do that in front of and behind each U-bolt where it meets the frame. You should not rely entirely on the clamping force of the u-bolts to hold a oscillating 1500# load in place on the road.

Boat trailers tend to have thin wall tubing, the 1/4" or better angle the springs are attached to is meant to distribute the load over a much wider area so you do not pinch or collapse the frame in a single spot. Plus, making it easier to change the center of gravity depending on what boat is being sold.

Many U-bolts are not graded 5 or better and the bolt on hangers shown look like 5/16. If you do decide to buy them, make sure you have at least 4 threads showing beyond the nylon nut. Each hanger is going to be subject to a minimum of 450# on a single ungraded U-bolt (1500# load + 300# trailer) and probably ungraded nut. At the very least I would go to ACE Hardware, get grade 8 alloy washers and grade 8 nyl-nuts.

Just $0.02 from someone that builds and modifies trailers and converted a Rolco (one of the best) tandem axle into an equipment trailer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts