My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
I am impressed. I love to have a good garden, but like a lot of folks it seems I can't keep up with it every year. Crop failures are rampant at my end of the neighborhood and there is no blaming it on drought or global warming!

I've often thought about assisting in the spring time set up of the urban gardening ... really more like small scale farming ... that has taken hold in Detroit. So much abandoned land and in many cases the residents are simply taking it over and growing crops. In many areas it is the only viable way for residents to obtain fresh food, since the stores are few and far between.

Perhaps this Spring I'll manage the time and to find a group working enough to drive an hour in to the city and provide tractor services. I encourage others to do the same if you can manage it.

Brian

·
Registered
55 Posts
What do you use the tractors for, in this garden? Just tilling the dirt?

I have hopes of expanding my garden with some row crop planting with my Case. I got a Brinly spring cultivator for $30 for my Case and am on the lookout for a bottom plow.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
A 1 bottom plow is an awesome implement behind a Case/Ingersoll. I've used them on hard pack turf to create garden or planting space and even used them to dig a hole for new trees.

Tiller, cultivator, and disc can all be used effectively ...

Brian

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
I am impressed. I love to have a good garden, but like a lot of folks it seems I can't keep up with it every year. Crop failures are rampant at my end of the neighborhood and there is no blaming it on drought or global warming

Spot on, Brian. It's hard to keep up on a garden plot, especially (as in my case) if you don't have much help. I gave up this year because of the intense heat and lack of interest from my family members, next year I am hoping to take care of most of the "grunt work" by having my Case do the work for me. Also hoping the weather will cooperate more and we get some rain and milder temps here in the ohio valley.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts