My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been a lurker on this site and have noticed several users have experience with the Chinese honda cloned air cooled engines. I picked up a 6.5hp engine from Harbor Freight really cheap last week. (100 bucks) What are your thoughts about these engines.?? Are they worth fooling with? I have heard that Honda parts will interchange a lot of the times ...any truth to that?

Thanks for your replies...

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
In my experience, some of the parts will interchange, particularly starter and blower housing parts. Some seem to run fairly well, but when trouble strikes, they may not be worth fixing. Personally, I'n not a fan of knock-off copies. Don't own any and don't plan to.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have a couple that have been running for a few years with no problems. One is on a pressure washer and the other is on an air compressor.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome to the forum, tnmike.

There was a big discussion on the chinese honda clones a few months back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tired searching for the other thread after you told me about it and I cant a big discussion..a few small ones is all. if you have the link it would be great.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Northern and Agri-Supply is beginning to put these engines on their equipment.
Also the latest move is to mark the stuff made in PRC, aka: People's Republic of China.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks D-Dogg... I hadnt seen that one. If I get any service at all from the thing..a hundered bucks for it will be very good.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Well, Ive had good luck with them, and parts will interchange with OEM honda parts.

For instance, I just took a Genuine GX-340 honda, and put a Clone GX-390 carb and cam in it, and Genuine Honda piston and rings, and it runs like a top.

Pistons, rings, rods, cranks, cams, carbs, exhaust, it will all swap over..

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I have one, have'nt started it yet but the quality seems on par with the Honda tagged engines (they are all likely made in the same place, by the same people with the same materials). I paid less then 25% for the clone then I would have for the honda.

If any one wants critical comments the wiring and hoses leaves something to be desired. oh yeah and the mufflet paint flakes easy. Also the manual is a joke but Honda Service manuals and parts manuals are available on line in PDF format.

Search memebr Rust's posts he has repowered with a clone and is happy

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Seems I read some where, (maybe mtf ?) Those knock off's are not the same as they once were. Honda sued the china company because they were using old honda molds.

Now the engine's are a little different and honda parts won't fit the newer knock off's and there not as good as before ?

Not sure if this is true....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the links..interesting reading. It would be nice to know if the newer clones are still clones. (ie did the lawsuite change anything??) HF has the 11 horse for $300 and with the 20% off coupon they have until the end of May that is pretty cheap for an electric start engine of that size. I am building a bandmill that would really work well with that engine.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
The Surplus Center has "Worldaire" 13 HP engines for 219 bucks!..they look to be Honda clones,not sure about any "interchangeability" of the parts though..
I suspect they are considered "disposeable" for that price,when something internal goes bad..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Here's a coupla or three pictures of my 6.5hp HF "Greyhound" old Sears repower. It's been pretty tuff so far since this past winter. It pulls a pretty bad load.

Ron

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yeah, that looks like a Honda in almost every way. I've seen some others in recent years however that look like they.re made to look like Honda, and though the parts may be interchangeable, there's just something different about the lines of the sheetmetal.

In the Dodge Neon world, a company in China was comissioned to copy a $1300(?) Quaiff limited slip differential and they sold for about $500. They had their problems, but it was pretty cheap to make them bulletproof.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I've noticed these engines have dropped in price quite a bit, probably in preparation for the new regulations coming up. Harbor Freight is pricing the 6.5HP at $109 and Surpluscenter.com dropped their price with the 9 and 11HP.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'll probably post a new request, but I just bought one of the 13HP models to replace the original 12 pump Tecumseh in my mid 70's vintage Sears ST12. The ignition finally gave up the ghost. I've been keeping the old module on life support for 10 years now, annualy popping out the epoxy and resoldering leads that seem to vibrate loose from the board, but at the end of last season it died for good and a couple of replacement modules and pulling the lighting coil to test didn't seem to revive it.

Anyway, the motor is bolted in and there are a few mods to the original tank/battery tray to fit, but all in all it's going relatively easy.

My question is in regards to adapting some of the original wiring, more specifically the ammeter, into the new harness. There is one extra wire coming from behind the flywheel and another from the ignition/breaker box that are not connected to anything and impossible to find in the joke of a schematic in the manual.

Has anyone had any luck with this mod?

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I am a little stumped on wiring as well. I am going the other way though trying to hook up my stock wiring to the Power fist. Maybe a gx390 manual would help? Please post if you have any success.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts