My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, this thing belongs to a friend of mine, I wouldn't waste my money on one. I worked on it for him about a year ago, it had been sitting up a while & carb gummed up. Cleaned it good and it ran o k. Now it got to where it was hard to start till now you can't get it started. The elecric choke wasn't working but that shouldn't keep it from starting, just make it run rich, anyway, got on line trying to find one without any luck. I finally found a new complete carburetor, exact duplicate of the one that's on it pretty cheap so I purchased the new carb & put it on. Problem-It will start then idle up to about 2500 to 3000 rpms then if you hit the throtle it will idle down so slow that it dies, you can feather the throtle to keep it from going dead then it will jump back up to the high rpm. If you just let it sit and run at the high rpm it changes rpm erratically, it throtles up good. Sometimes you have to take the breather off and cover the carb with your hand to get it started. I've already wasted more time on this thing than I think it's worth but I would like to get it running right just so I can give it back to him and tell him not to ever bring it to me again. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome

·
Registered
110 Posts
does your engine have the fuel pump? you need to replace the carb and the fuel pump. you do not rebuild these items. the china ones are like replacing a spark plug in a tune up. also those clone engines are notorious for hard starting because the head gaskets usually do not seal until engine warms up requiring you to let it idle or keep it running by feathering the throttle. they also foul spark plugs on a regular basis so keep plenty of these on hand. i bought a chinese atv for 60 dollars and i have learned a lot since getting it running. they are ok machines as long as you understand what you are up against. if you just want to get on and ride better buy a name brand japan or usa machine.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, the fuel pump is on the carb, the new carb comes complete with fuel pump & choke. A brand new complete carburetor ready to install only cost $32.00, that ought to tell you something about this worthless junk. The sparkplug is kind of black & greasy looking but fires good, I'll try a new one just to see what happens.
Actually the china ones are more like replacing a bic lighter, they are disposable. China keeps dumping worthless garbage on us and we keep shoveling our money out to them for it, I hope America wakes up before it's too late if it's not already.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Did you get it straighten out, running decent I mean? Kinda sounds like an intake leak to me.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I had problems with my son's little 70 chinese 4 wheeler. It ended up having a cracked fuel line, was sucking air, then leaking gas. I took it and had carb cleaned, they supposedly had it running good. I had to end up completely re-tune it so it would stay running, still doesn't run like I think. It had that it would either run or die, then sometimes it wouldn't idle down. I finally got it to run have way decent and not run away anymore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PHP:
I suspected an intake or vacuum leak of some sort but all that checked out o k. I'll try a new plug tonight just to see if that's it. Thanks.
Update- Iinstalled a new plug last night, engine runs better, at least it starts easier, it still will not idle steady, engine speed wants to drift all over the place, throttles up o k but just lousy at idle. It's running good enough to get it out of my shop, I just hate to send something out to someone when it's not right. Although this may be as "right" as this junk can get.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Sounds like a bad gaskets somewere, bowl or intake my neighbor has a Suzuki LT 80 only runs with hand covering carb. We cleaned it all out sprayed carb cleaner threw all jets etc. Didn't replace any gaskets either his sat for a few years and gas flowed great pump was fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts